Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Block E 
 Post subject: Block E
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:07 am 
Longtime Regular

http://wcco.com/crime/local_story_091092749.html

Quote:
(WCCO) Minneapolis One person is dead after he was shot Friday night on Block E in downtown Minneapolis, police said.

The shooting happened around 11:30 p.m. at 600 Hennepin Avenue South, police said.

The male victim was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, where he was initially listed in critical condition.

The victim died overnight, police said. His age was not disclosed.

Police have made an arrest in connection with this shooting.

Authorities will hold an 11 a.m. news conference to deliver more details about this incident.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I always pack on Block E. Not too fussy about covering there, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:37 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

It's the opera music that drove the shooter to shoot.

Anyone else see that on the news? Block E is playing opera music outside to drive people away from loitering and causing trouble due to the loitering.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 2:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dirt bag caught http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S15269.html?cat=1
Quote:
A 31-year-old Minnetonka man is dead after being shot Friday night in the area of 6th Street and 1st Avenue North in downtown Minneapolis.

Mayor RT Rybak and police came together Saturday morning to talk to the media about the shooting. They the man was walking from one business to another with friends when he was hit by gunfire. Police say they were innocent victims.

Derick Holliday was arrested shortly after a foot chase. Police say he admitted to shooting his gun into a crowd of people, where the victim was hit.

The identification of the victim has not been released.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:01 pm 
Journeyman Member

I guess, public hanging of that dirtbag right there at 600 Block is out of question? After all, don't they call it an Entertainment Block? Would have been quite a deterrence against "dangerous activities".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

So I guess I should send this email to the mayor.

It has become apparent that, due to your policy of cutting the police force, going downtown for a night out with friends should be added to your list of High-risk lifestyles.

Thanks for making Minneapolis the safe and secure city that it has become.

Then again, maybe I won't.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Actually, Moby, I think you should.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:37 am 
Longtime Regular

Come on now folks. I know downtown is safe because the mayor "said" it is on TV. He and the Police chief (maybe it was the assistent chief) were shown walking on the sidewalk someplace in the city.... It was a very tight shot of them walking. I wonder how many cops and swat members were lurking off camera...

Nothing to see here folks, Move along, nothing to see here... Keep spending your money, move along folks...

For anyone that frequents that area, are many of the businesses posted? I gather most are bars, so one hopes people are not packing and drinking, but as was mentioned elsewhere, maybe a "designated shooter" campaine needs to be kicked off.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
maybe a "designated shooter" campaine needs to be kicked off.
Sounds like a good idea. Designated Sheppard would pretty much cover all of the jobs the Deignated driver/babysitter/protector would perform.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pakrat wrote:
It's the opera music that drove the shooter to shoot.

Anyone else see that on the news? Block E is playing opera music outside to drive people away from loitering and causing trouble due to the loitering.

Apparently it’s working :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Actually, Moby, I think you should.

Email sent.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject: Block E
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:41 am 

For us that don't live in the Twin Cities... Whats Block E, like? What stores? bars? Poor part of the cities????? who lives in that part? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:06 am 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Block E is right across from the Target Center. I do not think there are residences in the immediate area. There is a higher class(?) hotel in Block E.

It's just a like a mall. I've gone to a couple of movies in the theater (during the day). I've been to Gameworks a couple of times. There's a book store there too (Barnes and Noble?)

My opinion, there is no reason to make a trip there if you don't live in Minneapolis. I'd rather go to the MOA. But, if you are down there (maybe in if you are in the warehouse district), its in a spot where you can swing by and hang out (if you can stand the opera music).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:17 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Was at Block E the other night with my family - overrun with gangster wannabees and would be tough guys

NOT A PLACE TO BRIN THE FAMILY - saw the signs banning guns and well thought - this is one case where i can firmly say SCREW THAT - this place is well off of my list of places to go.

Minneapolis is quickly becoming off limits - too bad - it used to bea fun place to go wal around and eat and shop... Not anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/346584.html

Quote:
An ordinary night ends in a horrible moment
Police identified Alan D. Reitter of Minnetonka, a mortgage underwriter, as the man killed in the Warehouse District Saturday.
Tom Ford and Chao Xiong Star Tribune Staff Writers

A photo of Alan Reitter, 31, with friend Abby Phillips was left at a makeshift memorial on 6th Street near 1st Avenue in downtown Minneapolis.

The first stop for Alan D. Reitter and his four friends was the Refuge Bar & Grill in downtown Minneapolis' Warehouse District.

They got there about 8 p.m., and after a few drinks and a lot of talking, the fivesome left about 11:30 p.m.

They were walking along S. 6th Street when Abby Phillips, 27, of Maple Grove, froze.

"I thought I heard fireworks," she said. Only when she saw people running did it dawn on her to take cover. As she dropped to the ground, "I saw him lying on the ground," she said.

Reitter, 31, of Minnetonka, a mortgage underwriter who grew up in Redwood Falls, Minn., had been fatally shot in the head. Police said he was the innocent victim of a man who, apparently unprovoked, fired into a crowd of people.

Police arrested Derick D. Holliday, 21, of Minneapolis, moments after the shooting. He could be charged as early as today.

Kirk Johnson said he was standing near the doorway of Gluek's Restaurant & Bar Friday night when he saw a man running diagonally across 6th Street toward him. As the man approached, he raised his arm and fired a gun, Johnson said.

"I couldn't believe it was happening," he said. "I didn't have time [to think]. People started diving behind cars in the parking lot. I don't think he was aiming at anyone in particular."

'Completely senseless'

Authorities officially released Reitter's name Sunday, while friends and family members mourned his loss.

"This is completely senseless," said Phillips. "This should never have happened."

Phillips said she, Reitter, his girlfriend and two others were headed to the Lone Tree Bar & Grill, across the street from Block E, when Reitter was shot.

Police said that a large fight had broken out near Block E on Friday night, but authorities said that the suspect told them he wasn't trying to defend himself when he opened fire.

Police and city officials have expressed dismay and frustration at the brazen killing. They noted that there were about 30 officers around Block E on Friday night, in addition to numerous cameras that have been installed in the past year.

Yet even with those measures, there sometimes is little police can do to stop such an arbitrary act, said Assistant Police Chief Tim Dolan.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.