Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Safes and Handgun Storage 
 Post subject: Safes and Handgun Storage
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:51 pm 

First Post.

I received my carry permit last week and just bought my Glock 27 today. I travel and work in various questionable parts of Minneapolis and I am concerned about my safety, so I plan to carry every day.

With that said, I would like some recommendations on the best type of safe to have in your car (for putting your gun when/where you can't or don't want to carry it).

Plus, I have 3 small children (2,5,6) at home. I want to keep the gun handy, but locked in a safe as I live in Minneapolis. I also want my wife to have access to it if necessary. Again, any recommendations on home storage?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:15 pm 

For in-car storage, I have the slimline guncase with the cable lock - picked one up at Gander Mountain if I remember correctly. I've seen it for sale at Cabelas and Bill's as well -- works just fine for the use you're describing.

I don't have kids or children as visitors so I don't have much of an opinion on that issue.

b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:21 pm 

I have these in each of our cars - http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

I have kids too and have one of these for each Glock I have - http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=400987&pdesc=Stack_On_Strongbox_Drawer_Safe_with_Electronic_Lock&cname=Safes-Accessories&aID=503AG3&merchID=4006&r=view

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:25 pm 

Thanks guys-

OldSport-
I see Center of Mass is in Bloomington. I am not sure if they have a store down there. Did you order it or pick it up? Did you look at their soft side PacSafes for the car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:36 pm 

Maverick68 wrote:
Thanks guys-

OldSport-
I see Center of Mass is in Bloomington. I am not sure if they have a store down there. Did you order it or pick it up? Did you look at their soft side PacSafes for the car?

I ordered 3 of them online and got all the locks keyed the same which is pretty convenient. They got to me pretty quick as they are local - just depends on when they process the order. I did not look at the soft side case. Don't know why just didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:04 pm 

Depends what you're really trying to accomplish.

I have one of these in my bedroom. It's designed for quick, reliable access but isn't going to deter someone with a crowbar or a teenager who has the mindset of a mechanical engineer:

Comes in two sizes, made by V-line. There are various online dealers. They're expensive for their size and security because of the lock, around $100.

I also have a couple of keyed lock boxes, one very small one from the office supplies section at target, one larger one from Gander Mountain, that I got for my car. They aren't really very crowbar resistant but are tamper proof enough to prevent accidents with kids or the uninformed, and are cheap ($10-$20). With time however I have found that I end up using the locking glove compartment instead because it is more discreet and, realistically, equally secure against burglary (which is to say, not at all).

And then I have a fairly inexpensive ($75) long-gun sized cabinet from "stack on" that has a good lock on it. That one is screwed to the 2x4s in the wall and I depend on it for protection from casual thieves and persistent teenagers.

I don't think the so-called "gun safes" give you any more useful protection than the cheap "stack on" stuff does in that either of them can be opened in a few minutes with an axe or Halligan. The next step is a sure-nuff T-15 rated burglary safe and those cost real money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:37 am 

I've got the gunvault at home... Works great.

Has a tamper alarm, sturdy, and can be opened fast, even in the dark.

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 5:55 am 
1911 tainted

I shy away from electrical locks, have had them fail on me so I do not trust them. I prefer a V-Line mechanical lock, I have a couple of them, cannot remember how old the first one is. The V-line type locks come in several configurations, wall, between the studs, bed frame mount, and of course table top. I have the between the wall stud mount and a bed frame mount, I really like the bead frame mount, slides out like a drawer and is hidden by the bed spread. The V-Line you can choice your combination, so mine are set the same and have never failed me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:00 am 

cobb wrote:
I shy away from electrical locks, have had them fail on me so I do not trust them.

I would tend to agree... The GunVault has battery backup, and a barrel key manual override. Haven't had any problems so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:07 am 
1911 tainted

Incakola wrote:
cobb wrote:
I shy away from electrical locks, have had them fail on me so I do not trust them.

I would tend to agree... The GunVault has battery backup, and a barrel key manual override. Haven't had any problems so far.

Not really familiar with the Gun Vault, so can't say. What happened to me was that I must have slammed the door too hard, the battery came loose from it's connection. So to open I had to place a 9V battery on the external emergency contacts and enter the default factory combination to open it. Would kind of suck if I had to find a 9V battery and remember the factory default combo to gain access at the same time that someone was breaking into my home or attacking my family.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:26 am 

For the bedroom, I use the DAC Sportsafe. I got mine from Walmart online a few years back. Was $60 then. I see that Midway sells them now for $80. Has batteries so the concern Cobb mentions is there. I haven't had any problems though. Has the other bells and whistles like the gun vault models too, but it's less money.

The center of mass or similar knock-off metal boxes work well for auto or even in the home if necessary. They are only a deterent though, as are most of the things you'll find and be willing to pay for. Get the large size if you go this route as things will get tight in the box if you want to leave your gun in its holster when you store it.

Finally, harbor freight in Columbia Heights has coupons off and on for small safes. The little one works for in the car or in a home. Just a metal box with a key pad. Also has batteries.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:34 am 

Great info everyone.

I agree it would be bad to have a dead battery on the safe when someone is breaking into your house!

I am hesitant, though, with a keyed safe in house, as I have kids. Although they are not old enough to be snooping around, they eventually will be. :roll: I would want to hide the key in the same room as the safe for quick access, but run the potential of them finding it.

Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:15 am 

As a poker player odds come in to play with everything you do after a while and the odds of someone breaking in at the same time as your battery dies vs odds of kids finding a key is no contest - go for a good battery brand

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:17 am 
Longtime Regular

For indoors, don't worry too much about the dead battery issue: GunVault makes a version that plugs into the wall, and uses batteries as the backup. It also beeps when you open it when the battery level starts to get low, so you have, literally, months to change the batteries before it's a problem.

On the other hand, I wouldn't use an electronic lock box in the car; it gets mighty cold around here, and batteries don't like the cold.

As for hiding a key, that's NEVER a good idea. Kids are ingenious, and they have all the time in the world.

One question, though: Did your carry class cover storage options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:22 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
One question, though: Did your carry class cover storage options?

+1... Our keys are on our keyrings... Hiding one is begging for trouble.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.