Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:00 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Get AG Lori Swanson to sign on to this AG's letter. 
 Post subject: Get AG Lori Swanson to sign on to this AG's letter.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:24 am 
Wise Elder

The 23 AG's who did sign the letter are listed in this article.

Quote:
23 State AG's Oppose New "AWB": On June 11, 23 state attorney generals joined the Texas Attorney General, signed, and sent a letter to Attorney General Eric Holder advising him that they are opposed to renewal of the 1994 Clinton administration's ban on semiautomatic firearms, erroneously dubbed "assault weapons" by proponents of the ban. A list of those attorneys general is included below, and surprisingly, it does not include Washington Attorney General Rob McKenna [or Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson]. This is a remarkable letter, made public by the National Rifle Association. It follows three months after 65 House Democrats sent a similar letter to Holder, admonishing him for remarks made earlier this year suggesting that the Obama administration would like to see the ban renewed. That March 17 letter took issue with Holder, and others, who at the time were using the drug cartel wars in Mexico as an excuse to push for renewal of the ban, which expired in September 2004 after having accomplished pretty much nothing... (As I recall, the Clinton ban on cosmetically impaired firearms did accelerate their sale and boosted the prices of full-capacity magazines [but all later studies determined there was no negative effect on crime].)

http://www.examiner.com/x-4525-Seattle- ... an-renewal

Post subject: Re: Get AG Lori Swanson to sign on to this AG's letter.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:29 pm 
The Man

Okay, I apparently need directions -- should I call? Email?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:13 pm 
Wise Elder

Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson sent her own letter to federal AG Eric Holder opposing any effort to reinstate the 1994 "assault weapon" ban.

I have a copy of the June 29, 2009 letter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:21 pm 
The Man

I dunno much about this stuff, but unless I'm missing something, that's even better than her signing on to the other letter.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:22 pm 
Journeyman Member

According to the NRA bulletin I got today, Swanson did sign onto a letter along with many other state AG's.

Minnesota Attorney General Signs Amicus Brief Supporting Second Amendment Incorporation
Please Thank Attorney General Lori Swanson!
Two-thirds of the nation’s attorneys general have filed an amicus brief asking the U.S. Supreme Court to grant certiorari in the case of NRA v. Chicago and hold that the Second Amendment applies to state and local governments through the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. This bi-partisan group of 33 attorneys general, along with the Attorney General of California in a separate filing, agrees with the NRA’s position that the Second Amendment protects a fundamental individual right to keep and bear arms, disagreeing with the decision recently issued by a three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Attorney General Swanson was one of the many who agrees that the Second Amendment is a fundamental individual right and signed the amicus brief. Please call Attorney General Swanson at (651) 296-3353 and thank her for standing up in support of the Second Amendment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:14 am 
Longtime Regular

There are apparently two sets of letters: One opposing an "Assault Weapons" ban, another supporting incorporation. Swanson appears to be actively on the right side of both.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:30 am 
Wise Elder

Andrew Rothman wrote:
There are apparently two sets of letters: One opposing an "Assault Weapons" ban, another supporting incorporation. Swanson appears to be actively on the right side of both.

Yes, there are TWO documents: an Amicus Brief supporting Incorporation of the Second Amendment and a Joint Letter opposing the proposed federal "assault weapon" ban.

AG Lori Swanson is on OUR side with respect to both issues.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:28 pm 

Great news, how exactly would one go about thanking her? I'm not findiong an email, and I'm not sure a call is a good option.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:45 pm 
Wise Elder

MNXD9 wrote:
Great news, how exactly would one go about thanking her? I'm not findiong an email, and I'm not sure a call is a good option.

A two sentence handwritten note will get to her.

Attorney General Lori Swanson
102 State Capitol
St. Paul, MN 55155

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:56 am 

Thanks

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.