Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:32 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New Hampshire Permit July 2009 
 Post subject: New Hampshire Permit July 2009
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:59 pm 

I just discovered the check I wrote to the New Hampshire Department of Safety in April had not been cashed. I looked at my New Hampshire non - resident permit and it had expired in June. After a couple of calls I did manage to connect to a voicemail greeting which informed me that New Hampshire is now processing applications that were submited in early March of 2009. As I was looking around on the website I found this:

PLEASE NOTE:
Effective July 1, 2009, the fee for Non-Resident Applications increases from $20.00 to $100.00.

I am sure this is just to keep up with their actual costs.

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

:bang:

mods relocate if required.

Post subject: Re: New Hampshire Permit July 2009
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:02 pm 

I submitted mine in April as well - still waiting (this was new, not a renewal).

I did get 9 day turnaround from Centre County, PA on a PA Permit (obviously) - unfortunately it came with the wrong first name for some unknown reason. I resent it with a nice note and expect it will be back shortly.

$26.00 if I remember correctly.
b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:53 am 
Journeyman Member

Bloodsuckers.

It will be interesting to see if the revenue generated by the increased non-res permit fee offsets the loss in applications.
Would like to know the back-story of the outrageous fee increase.

New Hampshire, the "Live free (for a fee) or die" state.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:58 pm 

With the fee increase, it would become pointless to obtain a NH permit unless planning to travel to New Hampshire.

Another reason to pursue reciprocity at the federal level. NH doesn't recognize any out of state permit.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:08 pm 

bstrawse wrote:
I did get 9 day turnaround from Centre County, PA on a PA Permit (obviously) - unfortunately it came with the wrong first name for some unknown reason. I resent it with a nice note and expect it will be back shortly.

They mis-spelled my first name, so I sent it back. They returned it, fixed with white-out.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:38 pm 

That's exactly how mine looked -- It arrived yesterday with whiteout replacing the incorrect first name with the correct first name.

I suppose it'll work fine ;)
B

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:26 pm 

I just read on another (boating) forum that NH is raising it's motor vehicle registration fees quite a bit on July 1 also.

I think they just need the money.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:43 am 

Actually, I'm not all that dusturbed about the cost increase. Yeah, they did use to do it for $20, but somebody in the State figured out that they were an out-of-state "permit mill". and decided they could collect a little more revenue. I'm sure Minnesota does the same with licenses to catch Walleyes.

And as far as it being worthless, for those of us who live in Minnesota it's anything but. Why?? One word: RECIPROCITY!!! Have you forgotten that you live in Timmy's Political whorehouse and promise parlor, and we have all been "slow roll you long time, joe..." to the point that we will NEVER get all the baby oil wiped off our skin?? Getting a NH permit gets you reciprocity with states that Mike "there's a raid comin, I can feel it in my bones" Campion will never allow us to have reciprocity with, because the other state does not allow permits for left handed touch typist Croatians, while Minnesota DOES. In relationship to the previous charge of $20, it is a ripoff, but compared to the way it used to be where NO amount of money would get you a permit in Minnesota or a lot of other places, $100 is bearable. Shit, that's what we pay, and we only have reciprocity with HALF the states NH does!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:51 am 

Actually, if you're going to spend $100, get a Florida permit. It isn't as convienient, but it's a lot more useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:13 am 
The Man

Seismic Sam wrote:
Actually, I'm not all that dusturbed about the cost increase. Yeah, they did use to do it for $20, but somebody in the State figured out that they were an out-of-state "permit mill". and decided they could collect a little more revenue. I'm sure Minnesota does the same with licenses to catch Walleyes.

And as far as it being worthless, for those of us who live in Minnesota it's anything but. Why?? One word: RECIPROCITY!!!
Yup. That said, Florida buys you a lot more reciprocity, at less bucks/year -- $117 for a seven-year permit rather than $100 for a five. And PA is now definitely a better deal than NH, given the price increase.

But, yup. If Timmy had kept his promises, this wouldn't be an issue for anybody.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:12 pm 

A Florida permit is useless in New Hampshire.

The New Hapshire method is only slightly less problematic than the South Carolina method (where no amount of love or money will allow you to carry if you don't own land there). Let's see, if all 50 states did this, how much would it cost a year to be able to carry nationwide?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:27 pm 

Seismic Sam wrote:
I'm sure Minnesota does the same with licenses to catch Walleyes.

An important distinction is that the State of Minnesota spends a princely amount out of its general fund on programs that serve no purpose other than to improve the sport fishing experience. That walleye you caught last May was (in all likelihood) born and raised in a taxpayer-financed concrete pool until it was a fingerling at which juncture it was hauled along with a dump-truck load of its brethren to your favorite lake. And if you're like most anglers (as we're supposed to call them now), you probably took advantage of a public access site maintained at considerable taxpayer expense.

Whether or not this sort of thing is a good idea is beside the point, though if you buy me enough beer some night we can talk about the impact this has on biodiversity and adaptation of the walleye to local conditions in each lake, and the amount of money this takes away from other important DNR priorities like patrolling walking trails with ATVs to catch any offenders who are destroying the sanctity of the wilderness experience by operating motor vehicles on them.

The issue at hand is that St. Paul has an understandable desire to recoup this sort of expense from those out-of-state anglers who don't pay the myriad other taxes St. Paul levies upon its subj, er, constitutents. New Hampshire's permit issuance process doesn't depend, directly or indirectly, on anything supported by your average New Hampshire taxpayer. They're just charging because they can.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:08 pm 

Quote:
A Florida permit is useless in New Hampshire.

True, but speaking as someone who will likely never visit New Hampshire, this isn't an issue.

Florida, on the other hand, I visit all the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:07 am 

The check I mailed to NH on April 21, 2009 was cashed on August 20, 2009. Today is September 23, 2009 and I have not seen my permit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:00 pm 

I sent my check early May and they cashed it about three weeks ago. I just received the permit last week.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.