Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 OK, what is this? 
 Post subject: OK, what is this?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

My POSSLQ and I visited the House on the Rock a few weeks back. I'd never been there before, and I hadn't known much about it.

Among the myriad artifacts and constructions were a number of single-barreled long guns with multiple flint lock actions. I'd seem multiple locks on multi-barreled guns, but I'd never seen multiple locks on a single-barreled gun.

Were these ever actually in use, or is this just another example of Alex Jordan's warped sense of humor?

The place has a wide variety of firearms on display, some of which appear as if they could be authentic:

And some of which are clearly whimsical:

But those triple-locked guns struck my eye. There were a bunch of them, in many variants - different styles, different periods, some clearly works of fancy, and some looked like something someone found in an attic.

Was anything of this sort ever actually used?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: OK, what is this?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 am 

Can't speak as to whether or not those particular ones were for real, but there've been a number of muzzleloading designs that used superposed loads to get multiple shots from one barrel. Funnest ones to look at (IMO) used a moveable lock to fire at each position. Some resemblance to a flute or clarinet, what with the fittings and all. Of course, you did have to use the right type/amount of charge to get everything to line up right and they each needed to seal off from the one in front to keep from doing a multiple discharge...although I seem to recall a variation on the theme that used a ball with a hole through it packed with fuse-type filling to get a rapid fire effect (couldn't stop it from doing the whole chain once you started the ball rolling, though, on top of other issues)

The idea lives on in that MetalStorm stuff one keeps hearing about here and there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:37 pm 

jdege wrote:
Among the myriad artifacts and constructions were a number of single-barreled long guns with multiple flint lock actions. I'd seem multiple locks on multi-barreled guns, but I'd never seen multiple locks on a single-barreled gun.

Were these ever actually in use, or is this just another example of Alex Jordan's warped sense of humor?

I would guess this was the creation of someone with far too much time and money on their hands. I would think there would too much of a chance of a catastrophic detonation if more than one charge ignited at once.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:44 am 
Longtime Regular

One barrel needs only one lock, any more is just decoration! :lol: :lol: :lol:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:14 am 
Longtime Regular

That would be an early prototype for a machine gun. They are now regulated by the BATF. It is suspected that many of these were shipped to Mexico, intended to arm Pancho Villa and his followers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:47 am 
Longtime Regular

Traveler wrote:
That would be an early prototype for a machine gun. They are now regulated by the BATF. It is suspected that many of these were shipped to Mexico, intended to arm Pancho Villa and his followers.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

THAT was funny.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Looks like junk to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

The silverware is in case the steak is a little to rare.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.