Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:12 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bill of Rights 
 Post subject: Bill of Rights
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:00 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

So, why is it that every tom dick and harry can scream "first amendment" when they are speaking out against something. But, gun owners get "the second amendment doesn't apply to state levels"?

I'm sure most state's have their own version of the first amendment, but these people are claiming protection under the first amendment in courts. MN's could be interperted to mean only press and not the people.

No, I don't have any specific cites. I just felt like throwing this out there.

Last edited by Pakrat on Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Because people are stupid.

OK, well that is my opinion, but moving beyond that. When you figure out a better reason than that, please let me know. When people actually figure out that little tidbit (unlikely) I'll be absolutely ecstatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:45 pm 

Why do people quote Bible scripture that they agree with, and yet totally ignore or discredit the parts that they don't agree with?

Best answer I've found so far is pretty much what AGoodDay said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

ChillyW wrote:
Why do people quote Bible scripture that they agree with, and yet totally ignore or discredit the parts that they don't agree with?

For the same reason they keep writing new versions of the Bible.

They only want the parts they like and want to lose the parts they don't.

look up Acts 8:37 in any Bible except the King James.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:12 pm 
The Man

ChillyW wrote:
Because very few of them know how to properly make their burnt offerings at the Temple, and think that it'd be a mother of a commute?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

ChillyW wrote:

Same could be said about Indian Treaties...

3 off the res...

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Interesting parallel, last night on the History channel was a show on the 10 Commandments. Funny how Christians ignore one of the main ones, you know, the one about "graven images". MN has a Second Amendment Clause, but State's rights trumps Federal in some cases.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

How come no one ever insists on their Third Amendment rights? Maybe I'll start a group...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:55 pm 
Forum Moderator

BigRobT wrote:
Interesting parallel, last night on the History channel was a show on the 10 Commandments. Funny how Christians ignore one of the main ones, you know, the one about "graven images". MN has a Second Amendment Clause, but State's rights trumps Federal in some cases.

I'd be fine with them if my neighbors' wives weren't so attractive!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
BigRobT wrote:

I'd be fine with them if my neighbors' wives weren't so attractive!

:shock:

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:07 am 
Longtime Regular

[quote="BigRobT" Funny how Christians ignore one of the main ones, you know, the one about "graven images". [/quote]

Not get off track on religion -

That commandment refers to worshipping the image as if it were a god itself. I don't think any thinking Christians today believe that God is physically present in a plaster statue.

They're just used as reminders. Like the picture you have of your wife and kids in your wallet. Many people even talk to the pictures of their relatives. Of course, they know they can't hear them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:05 am 
Longtime Regular

It's not that God is present, it is that our focus is on things and not God.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is still possible to praise, honor, and venerate an image without commiting idolatry - in fact it's encouraged in many faiths (Eastern Orthodox iconography, for instance).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:54 am 
Longtime Regular

For those that don't have kick butt Bible software on their laptopss:

YLT Acts 8:37 And Philip said, 'If thou dost believe out of all the heart, it is lawful;' and he answering said, 'I believe Jesus Christ to be the Son of God;'

ASV Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thy heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

DRA Acts 8:37 And Philip said: If thou believest with all thy heart, thou mayest. And he answering, said: I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

NAS Acts 8:37 And Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." And he answered and said, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

KJV Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

As for the Third Commandment -

Exodus 20:4-5 4 'Thou dost not make to thyself a graven image, or any likeness which is in the heavens above, or which is in the earth beneath, or which is in the waters under the earth. 5 Thou dost not bow thyself to them, nor serve them: for I, Jehovah thy God, am a zealous God, charging iniquity of fathers on sons, on the third generation, and on the fourth, of those hating Me,

I think it is clear that this (third commandment) is a prohibition on creating idols. To interpret it as a prohibition on sculpture, photography, or artistic mediums in general, is very much akin to what the gungrabbers do when they stop reading the 2nd ammendment at "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State" and disregard the "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." portion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

chunkstyle wrote:
How come no one ever insists on their Third Amendment rights?

Perhaps because that's the only one the US government hasn't violated.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.