Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 VA and the wrong answers to questions 
 Post subject: VA and the wrong answers to questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:03 pm 

I just received this e-mail and I am wondering if there is any truth to it at all. Snopes has no info says it's under investigation, but that posting was from June -

"I had a doctors appointment at the local VA clinic yesterday and found something very interesting I would like to pass along.. While going through triage before seeing the doctor, I was asked at the end of the exam, three
questions.

(1. Did I feel stressed?)
(2. Did I feel threatened?)
(3. Did I feel like doing harm to someone?) The nurse then informed me, if I had answered yes to any of the questions, I would have lost my concealed carry permit as it would have gone into my medical
records and the VA would have reported it to Homeland Security.

I am a Viet Nam vet and 15 year cc permit holder. Looks like they are going
after us vets." Be forewarned and be aware. The Obama administration has gone on record as considering veterans and gun owners as potential terrorists. If you are a
veteran, you've been warned. If you know veterans, please pass this on to them.

Post subject: Re: VA and the wrong answers to questions
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:19 pm 
Journeyman Member

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/v/ ... permit.htm

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfjun ... 0409-4.htm

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:27 pm 

If a screening nurse at the VA were to tell me I would lose my permit to carry because I answered their questions wrong, I would have to investigate how they knew. I never tell the VA or other health care, it's none of their business.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:15 am 

My experiences with the VA have been generally positive. However, occasionally I have had to remind them that "I" am the patient and "I'LL" let them know what test, forms, etc I'll tolerate and which I won't.

And for those few individuals there (very few) who still don't get the message, a quick wave of the hand and a hearty 'you're dismissed!' always does the trick! :P

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 am 

Hunter7227 wrote:
I just received this e-mail and I am wondering if there is any truth to it at all.

The V.A. and other hospitals do ask general questions like this on their intake forms. You could answer yes to all of these questions, and all that would happen initially is that a doctor or physiologist would investigate the matter.

It's very true that your concealed carry permit could be revoked if you have made a threat against someone else. Medical professionals have a duty to warn or protect third parties.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I believe this one was already tackled in the Strategy area. I think the general conclusion was that this was not actually true, pending further evidence.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

gyrfalcon wrote:
Hunter7227 wrote:
I just received this e-mail and I am wondering if there is any truth to it at all.

The V.A. and other hospitals do ask general questions like this on their intake forms. You could answer yes to all of these questions, and all that would happen initially is that a doctor or physiologist would investigate the matter.

It's very true that your concealed carry permit could be revoked if you have made a threat against someone else. Medical professionals have a duty to warn or protect third parties.

Actually HIPPA prevents them from divulging any patient info without that patients written consent. And that's enforced even for the government, subject to heavy penalties. Or so smarter people than me have told me.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:02 pm 

kecker wrote:
Actually HIPPA prevents them from divulging any patient info without that patients written consent. And that's enforced even for the government, subject to heavy penalties. Or so smarter people than me have told me.

That's not true from what I understand:

Records of psychological treatment have always been considered confidential information. Even before HIPAA, psychologists were both legally and ethically obligated to protect patient confidentiality. What HIPAA has done is to establish national standards providing special protection for psychotherapy notes. For example, an insurer may not require release of psychotherapy notes as a condition of payment. Of course, even under HIPAA psychologists remain obligated by law to release certain specific information, such as a revelation of child abuse or a threat of harm to self or others.

In a big country dreams stay with you, like a lover's voice fires the mountainside. Stay alive.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:04 pm 

The rule I generally follow is that I do not disclose information that is not medically relevant. I prefer to run my life myself and when I visit a medical professional it is to seek assistance with medical matters, not "life management."

The doctor is not a priest and the clinic is not a confessional.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.