Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Wis. Customer Shoots, Kills Would-Be Robbers 
 Post subject: Wis. Customer Shoots, Kills Would-Be Robbers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:42 pm 

from KSTP

Quote:
MILWAUKEE (AP) - Milwaukee police say two masked gunmen who tried to rob a local food mart were shot and killed by at least one customer.

Police say the gunmen walked into the store Tuesday morning and announced a robbery. They say one or two customers immediately opened fire.

A 26-year-old masked man died in the store. The other fled and collapsed a short distance away. He died in a hospital Tuesday afternoon.

Police say the person or persons who fired the shots also ran from the store. Police say no arrests have been made.

Both men who died had lengthy criminal records for drugs, weapons, and armed robbery.

No one else was hurt.

So the shooter(s) ran away afterwards? :?

Post subject: Re: Wis. Customer Shoots, Kills Would-Be Robbers
PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

sheepdog wrote:
from KSTP

Quote:
MILWAUKEE (AP) - Milwaukee police say two masked gunmen who tried to rob a local food mart were shot and killed by at least one customer.

Police say the gunmen walked into the store Tuesday morning and announced a robbery. They say one or two customers immediately opened fire.

A 26-year-old masked man died in the store. The other fled and collapsed a short distance away. He died in a hospital Tuesday afternoon.

Police say the person or persons who fired the shots also ran from the store. Police say no arrests have been made.

Both men who died had lengthy criminal records for drugs, weapons, and armed robbery.

No one else was hurt.

So the shooter(s) ran away afterwards? :?

Was likely carrying concealed, didn't want to get charged.

I'm not approving of running away, mind you, just stating the unfortunate probable reason.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:55 pm 

yeah, that's kinda what I was thinking. Unfortunate that somebody who chooses to excercise their right to self defense has to hide.

Whoever you are, mysterious gunman, thanks for taking two career criminals off the streets and saving the lives of innocent victims.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm 

... or could have been a rival gang member. :shock:

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:39 pm 
Journeyman Member

Not likely that a rival gang member would happen to be in the store when the robbery occurred.

I agree, someone was packing and didn't want to get charged with carrying illegally. Good shooting, though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:31 pm 
In the time out chair

That part of the Beer City, it is fairly likely that what they were looking to steal was not declared inventory. Very likely store also sold narcotics as a side busines. Or at least tolerated the sale of drugs from with in it's confines.

Very possible the shooters were "salesmen" for that line of work

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Local coverage:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/53574312.html

Quote:
2 fatally shot in convenience store robbery

By Ryan Haggerty of the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Aug. 18, 2009

Two men were shot to death Tuesday while trying to rob a convenience store on Milwaukee's north side, police said.

The men were armed and wearing masks and gloves when they entered the store at N. 12th and W. Chambers streets about 10:45 a.m., Milwaukee police Capt. Edith Hudson said. They announced that a robbery was taking place but were then shot by a customer or customers, who ran from the store, Hudson said. No arrests have been made, she said.

One man was pronounced dead inside the store, Hudson said. The man's family identified him as Kenneth J. Whitaker, 28, and said he lived about two blocks away.

The other man, 22, ran from the store and collapsed nearby, Hudson said. He later died at Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa.

Police did not identify the second man, and Whitaker's relatives said they did not know his name.

When reached by phone, the store owner's wife said her husband did not want to talk with a reporter.

Whitaker's relatives said in interviews that he visited the store often and said they did not believe he tried to rob the business.

"My son, he wouldn't harm anybody. He'd never done anything to anybody. . . . I taught him right from wrong," said Whitaker's mother, Sharon Lawson. "The police is telling a lie. I know he didn't go around in the store trying to rob anybody."

Whitaker, who was known as Jig, did not need to rob anyone, his cousin Quita Hayes said.

"I never heard him say nothing about robbing people," Hayes said. "He had no reason to. He's got family that would give him anything he wanted."

Police said Whitaker and the other man had arrest records that include arrests for drugs, armed robbery and weapons violations.

Whitaker was arrested in June on suspicion of being a felon in possession of a gun, police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said.

He had convictions for marijuana possession, bail jumping and disorderly conduct, according to online court records.

Hayes said Whitaker was cousins with Vidal D. Mason and Ronald X. Reed Jr., who were shot by a security guard June 3 while trying to rob a check-cashing business at 3906 N. 76th St.

Reed, 24, died at the scene.

Mason, 22, has pleaded not guilty to felony murder and is in custody at the Milwaukee County Jail.

Reed and Mason were armed with BB guns that looked like handguns.

The Milwaukee County district attorney's office determined the guard's actions were justified and did not charge him.

Sharif Durhams of the Journal Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

Relatives' comments = :bang:

12th and Chambers? That's a freaking war zone. I'm not sure a .50BMG would be enough.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:13 am 

I guess maybe I'm in the minority with respect to my opinion on this but I find it hard to believe someone would bother to shoot two thugs robbing a c-store and then run away. With most stores having security cameras and such I can't imagine someone taking the risk of getting into even more trouble if caught running from a seemingly justified shooting. I think as others have eluded to, that given the bad area and potential other 'activities' go on that there is more to this story than is being told. But, either way, I agree with the idea that 2 thugs are now out of the gene pool.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:34 pm 

Consider the source on this, but the author is stating that:
Quote:
But what is clear - on the surface - is this is the kind of story about ordinary citizens defending themselves in extreme circumstances that makes NRA members proud.

All that's missing is our "hero" to take a bow.

As it turns out, police say the alleged hero customer is a known felon who could face serious charges and prison time if convicted for the use of the gun. Chances are he fully understood his predicament and didn't stick around for that reason, but there's no confirmation from witnesses about whether the customer's actions during the robbery were totally in self defense. Police are still trying to find the other people in the store at the time.

I guess we wait and see...

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:49 am 
Longtime Regular

Yup, the source is an opinion writer. I don't see any NEWS stories that suggest that the police know who the shooter is.

Remember how Nick Coleman blamed the 35W bridge's collapse on Governor Pawlenty? Don't give a columnist too much credit for a grasp on reality.

Quote:
Some people continue to believe the solution to crime is for most citizens to be able to summon up their inner "Dirty Harry" and turn the tables on the bad guys in a moment's notice.

In real life, it's always more difficult than that. And a lot deadlier.

It was indeed deadly for these two felons who decided to threaten the lives of others. That they didn't hurt any innocents suggests that the moment's-notice table-turning was quite effective.

Naturally:

Quote:
"My son, he wouldn't harm anybody. He'd never done anything to anybody. . . . I taught him right from wrong," said Whitaker's mother, Sharon Lawson. "The police is telling a lie. I know he didn't go around in the store trying to rob anybody."

Whitaker, who was known as Jig, did not need to rob anyone, his cousin Quita Hayes said.

"I never heard him say nothing about robbing people," Hayes said. "He had no reason to. He's got family that would give him anything he wanted."

Uh-huh.

Givens, 22, and Kenneth J. Whitaker, 28, were armed and wearing masks and gloves when they entered the store at N. 12th and W. Chambers streets about 10:45 a.m., Capt. Edith Hudson said. They announced that a robbery was taking place but were then shot by a customer or customers, who ran from the store, Hudson said.

Police are still seeking the person or persons who shot Givens and Whitaker, Sgt. Mark Stanmeyer said Wednesday.

Whitaker was pronounced dead inside the store, Hudson said. Givens ran from the store and collapsed before being pronounced dead at Froedtert Hospital in Wauwatosa.

Whitaker and Givens, both of Milwaukee, were both convicted felons, according to online court records.

Whitaker had convictions for marijuana possession, bail jumping and disorderly conduct, court records show. Whitaker was most recently arrested in June on suspicion of being a felon in possession of a gun, police spokeswoman Anne E. Schwartz said. His arrest record also includes arrests for drugs, armed robbery and weapons violations, she said.

Givens had been convicted of theft, taking and driving a vehicle without consent, and driving or operating a vehicle without consent, all felonies, according to court records. He was also convicted of obstructing an officer, a misdemeanor.

Givens' arrest record includes arrests for robbery and drug violations, Stanmeyer said.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.