Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Armed rent-a-cops at Regal Cinema in Brooklyn Park? 
 Post subject: Re: Armed rent-a-cops at Regal Cinema in Brooklyn Park?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:54 pm 

Ronin069:
Is the Regal Cinema that you went to new? I am not familiar with there being a Regal in Brooklyn Park. Is it possibly in Brooklyn Center or Champlin? Just curious if there is a new place to see movies in the north 'burbs.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is actually Brooklyn Center. It is on 242 and 694.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:26 am 

Moby Clarke wrote:
It is actually Brooklyn Center. It is on 242 and 694.

...and actually not a bad place to see a flick...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 am 

The purpose of the security guards mentioned in this thread is not to ensure the safety of patrons or to prevent robberies. It is to remove unwanted people from the venue who do not leave when asked.

If the management asked for armed it's probably out of concern for the safety of employees.

Unarmed security makes perfect sense to management in most cases. The safety of the guard is not their primary concern.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:21 pm 

rthib wrote:
Notice my feet -
You’re going to pull up left hip forward, placing your right hand on your away hip thusly, giving the illusion that you have a gun.

One of the lessons I learned in school (during recess) is that posturing without the means to back it up is not good judgment. If you move like you have a gun and the other guy actually does have one seems to me like trying to draw to an inside straight. :o
8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:19 pm 

MostlyHarmless wrote:
The purpose of the security guards mentioned in this thread is not to ensure the safety of patrons or to prevent robberies. It is to remove unwanted people from the venue who do not leave when asked.

If the management asked for armed it's probably out of concern for the safety of employees.

Unarmed security makes perfect sense to management in most cases. The safety of the guard is not their primary concern.

You don't suppose it has anything to do with incidents like this, do you?

Minneapolis men charged in Brooklyn Center theater shooting

BY WENDY ERLIEN
SUN NEWSPAPERS
(Created: Thursday, February 5, 2009 3:31 PM CST)
(edited)
Brooklyn Center Police provided the following account and allegations about the events that led to the men's arrests:

At about 9:15 p.m. Monday, Feb. 2, Brooklyn Center Police responded to a report of a shooting at the Regal Cinema. Officers found Wash with three apparent gunshot wounds.

Police reported that Wash was standing in front of the theater near the east side drop-off area with several people when he was approached and shot by another man, who then fled the scene. Brooklyn Center Police worked throughout the night on leads.

At about 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, Feb. 3, Brooklyn Center Police, with assistance from Minneapolis Police, located the suspect in the area of 8th and Upton Avenue North in Minneapolis and arrested him. He was transported to the Brooklyn Center Police Department for questioning.
http://www.mnsun.com/articles/2009/02/0 ... ooting.txt

MM

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:10 pm 

Sounds like a few guys making an honest living to me. Why all the negative comments? How do you know they didn't notice you? I work armed security, and try not to acknowledge the looky loos. It tends to lead to irritating conversations. The term "rent-a-cop" has a negative connotation, similar to calling a police officer a pig. What is your background that allows you to determine the usefulness of the security? As for the walkie talkies, or radios, as we call them, yes we talk to each other on them. They can be quite useful for summoning assistance. Ours work off a repeater and have a 30+ mile range. We also have a dispatcher on duty.

Ronin069 wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:
That being said, the guard was fairly useless as he ignored the enterence and was only paying vague attention to the people in line. Someone could have taken him down, grabbed his gun and killed everyone in the place without breaking a sweat for all the good this guy was.

Yeah, I saw the same thing with the movie theater guy. Taking more time to recall the sight I can make the following observations:

1) He wore it on his right hip, too far forward in my opinion.
2) His awareness was ZERO. I actually stopped in my tracks and stared for a moment - neither he, nor the 3 goofballs around him had any clue that I was standing about 3 feet behind him -
3) Not sure if you ever get to that theater, but I am confident that I was not the only customer carrying concealed last night; I am confident however that I was one of the few customers carrying LEGAL last night!
4) Who were they going to talk to on their fancy walkie-talkie's? Each other? Please...

Finally, while I applaud the theater for recognizing that there is need for an armed presence in that particular venue, I am disappointing in their selection. 4 out-of-shape late teen/early twenty-something kids in black uniforms that don't fit and wearing empty cop belts do not intimidate or send a message that "we got this". The dope with a gun only caused to make their presence known. However, 2 large gentlemen in jeans, a black t-shirt that says security across the front/back, standing near the entrance and candy stand would send the message..."don't even think about being silly in here"

Dopey management

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

motoman wrote:
Sounds like a few guys making an honest living to me. Why all the negative comments? How do you know they didn't notice you? I work armed security, and try not to acknowledge the looky loos. It tends to lead to irritating conversations. The term "rent-a-cop" has a negative connotation, similar to calling a police officer a pig. What is your background that allows you to determine the usefulness of the security? As for the walkie talkies, or radios, as we call them, yes we talk to each other on them. They can be quite useful for summoning assistance. Ours work off a repeater and have a 30+ mile range. We also have a dispatcher on duty.

Ronin069 wrote:
Moby Clarke wrote:
That being said, the guard was fairly useless as he ignored the enterence and was only paying vague attention to the people in line. Someone could have taken him down, grabbed his gun and killed everyone in the place without breaking a sweat for all the good this guy was.

Yeah, I saw the same thing with the movie theater guy. Taking more time to recall the sight I can make the following observations:

1) He wore it on his right hip, too far forward in my opinion.
2) His awareness was ZERO. I actually stopped in my tracks and stared for a moment - neither he, nor the 3 goofballs around him had any clue that I was standing about 3 feet behind him -
3) Not sure if you ever get to that theater, but I am confident that I was not the only customer carrying concealed last night; I am confident however that I was one of the few customers carrying LEGAL last night!
4) Who were they going to talk to on their fancy walkie-talkie's? Each other? Please...

Finally, while I applaud the theater for recognizing that there is need for an armed presence in that particular venue, I am disappointing in their selection. 4 out-of-shape late teen/early twenty-something kids in black uniforms that don't fit and wearing empty cop belts do not intimidate or send a message that "we got this". The dope with a gun only caused to make their presence known. However, 2 large gentlemen in jeans, a black t-shirt that says security across the front/back, standing near the entrance and candy stand would send the message..."don't even think about being silly in here"

Dopey management

I didn't see the guard in question, so I can't comment directly on him...but as someone who has worked in private security, you and I both know that you can spot the real guards vs. the posers very easily if you have half a clue about situational awareness. Most of the ones I see in the metro are the latter.

Easy things to look for:

1) Posture. If you're hunched over and have your head down, you're useless. Command presence is a real concept.

2) Head: is it moving? My head was (and is) ALWAYS on a swivel. If you can't tell me that the gang of teenagers who just went into the bathroom across the lobby (or in my case from years past, the back of the nightclub) were all wearing red and had just followed a group of guys wearing all blue, you fail. If you noticed it and still can't tell me that some bad shit is about to happen, DOUBLE fail.

3) Addressing others. When two guards talk, are they looking at each other, or are they looking over each other's shoulders watching the crowd? If you're a colleague and we're talking business, I have no need to watch your non-verbals. I'd rather watch your back and have you watching mine. Amateurs get focused on the tree and miss the forest.

4) Do your clothes fit? I don't care if someone is skinny, overweight, or totally ripped. Does your uniform FIT? If not, you have no self-pride, you have no confidence, and you don't belong in security.

I start there. There are more who fail (both in the private security and LEO arenas, unfortunately) than pass, and it's sad.

-Mark

PS - For the record, I fired people a couple of times for failing #2 after having to sort out the mess they let happen.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sorry if I implied all non-LEO security are poor. I was simply commenting on the guy at Aldi's. As Mark wrote above, it is easy to see, in most service jobs, who the good ones are and who the jokers are. Think about your last waitress. Did she respond quickly to your needs or was it like pulling teeth to get her to refill your drink?

In a job where presentation, awareness and response are critical, seeing a guy bent over an empty checkout line, reading a newspaper, facing away from the entrance and not paying attention to the people who are closest to him while he is armed and supposed to be guarding an all cash business, it is not tough to disparage him. YMMV.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.