Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 An inspiring story about Courage! 
 Post subject: An inspiring story about Courage!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8279929.stm
Quote:

Rukhsana Kauser said she 'fired endlessly'

Kashmir girl fights off militants
By Binoo Joshi
BBC News, Jammu

A teenage girl says she killed a militant with his own gun after insurgents attacked their home in Indian-administered Kashmir.
Three militants stormed into Rukhsana Kauser's home in a remote village in Jammu region on Monday and started beating her parents in front of her.
Ms Kauser, 18, and her brother turned on the gunmen, killing one and injuring two more. Police praised their courage.
One of the militants wanted to marry Ms Kauser against her will, police said.
The militants escaped and are now being sought by police who are using their blood trails as clues.
The insurgents went to the house looking for Ms Kauser but her father, Noor Hussain, resisted their demands, Rajouri district senior police superintendent Shafqat Watali told the BBC.

I had never touched a rifle before this, let alone fired one - but I had seen heroes firing in films
Rukhsana Kauser

Three gunmen then entered the house and attacked Ms Kauser's parents, while four other militants remained outside.
"My parents told me to hide under the bed and then opened the door," Ms Kauser told the BBC.
"Without saying anything they [the militants] started beating my parents and my uncle. They beat them so badly that my parents fell on the ground. I could not see that and pounced on one of the militants while my brother hit him with an axe," she said.
"I thought I should try the bold act of encountering militants before dying."
Ms Kauser said she grabbed one of the militants by the hair and banged his head against the wall. When he fell down she hit him with an axe, before snatching his rifle. The militant commander got 12 shots on his body."

Her brother, Eijaz, 19, grabbed one of the other militants' guns and also began shooting.
Ms Kauser said the exchanges of gunfire with the militants had gone on for four hours.
"I had never touched a rifle before this, let alone fired one. But I had seen heroes firing in films on TV and I tried the same way. Somehow I gathered courage - I fired and fought till dead tired."

Police identified the militant commander as Abu Osama, who they say was a member of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba group and had been active in the Rajouri area for the past five years.
Local residents told police that he wanted to marry Ms Kauser - and was prepared to do so forcibly.
Rajouri police superintendent Shajqat Watali praised what he said was the "exemplary bravery" of Ms Kauser and her brother.
"The reaction by these teenagers was extraordinary."
There are now fears the family could face retaliatory attacks, so they have been given police protection.
But Ms Kauser wants more: "We cannot live here in this village. They should relocate us to a safer place in Rajouri town or elsewhere. The militants are not going to leave us after this embarrassment in which a top commander was killed."

As someone once said: "they can't hurt you unless you let them".

Okaaay, I guess you don't want to piss her off.

This also tells one something about the basic design of the AK type weapon. Never handled one before and she is able just pick it up and use it effectively.

Post subject: Re: An inspiring story about Courage!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

Can we conclude from the photo that the authorities let her keep the rifle? Clearly, she earned it, and sadly, is likely to need it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Can we conclude from the photo that the authorities let her keep the rifle? Clearly, she earned it, and sadly, is likely to need it.

Unfortunately Andrew, the answer is more than likely, not.
India has absolutely asinine gun laws. You can get a permit, if you're rich. The application fees, price of a gun, price of ammo, etc are incredibly high. There has been basically very little change in the laws since those implemented by the British in the years following the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857. If anything, they are tighter now.

Not only that, if you can get a permit, you can't use any ammo that is used by the armed forces. So common stuff like 9mm, 7.62X39, etc. would be what is called "prohibited bore" and a civilian can't own anything in that caliber. The import of foreign guns is also prohibited so the "Indian Ordnance Factories" have a monopoly. They produce a horrible Webley revolver copy in .22LR & .32 S&W and an abortion of a Colt 1903 look alike in .32 ACP. They also make a copy of an Inglis Browning (Hi-Power) but that apparently isn't sold to civilians as it is a prohibited bore. Someone when reviewing an IOF weapon said that they looked like they had been 'machined by drunken monkeys'. They also make rifles in .22LR, 30-06 and .315. Shotguns are available and numerous companies make them locally.

That is another element in this story that is so surprising. The victims didn't roll over for the terrorists like they have been accustomed to.

Their gun lobby is non-existant and the number of legal gun owners is very low. Consequently, when terrorists walk in, like they did in Mumbai, there is no one to stop them. The politicians have no accountability or interest in doing anything about it, so they just do the feel good stuff like making the laws stricter. The bureaucracy is incredibly corrupt and seem to delight in making the average guys life miserable by enforcing these laws to the letter and more. Ladies and gentlemen, support the NRA even if you don't always agree with them. Unless you can threaten anti-gun politicians with the loss of their seats, you have no leverage.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks for that insight, Dee. Let's not become another former British possession like that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:56 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Thanks for that insight, Dee. Let's not become another former British possession like that.

I took a young man from Australia out shooting handguns and AR's Wednesday, but its probably too late for any good change in that country......

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

Sigh...

There are so many good things about India, like its culture and rich history, as well as the very friendly people there. Being half-Indian myself, I've visited twice and would like to live there, but I can't look past this pointless gun control.

Even after the Mumbai bombings, the police actually issued fewer permits than before :bang:

Dee has the laws correct, but the one good thing (or bad, depending on your POV) is that these rules really only apply in the cities. In the villages, where the majority of Indians still live, the villagers still have access to arms as the government is very lax about enforcing laws in remote areas. The .303 No1MkIII Enfields, for example, are still being used to fight off tigers and the like, but it's sad that they have to do this illegally.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dee wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Unfortunately Andrew, the answer is more than likely, not.
India has absolutely asinine gun laws. You can get a permit, if you're rich. The application fees, price of a gun, price of ammo, etc are incredibly high. There has been basically very little change in the laws since those implemented by the British in the years following the Sepoy Mutiny of 1857. If anything, they are tighter now.

OTOH, zip guns are very common and the bribe for possession is much, much lower than the fine. Illegal-yet otherwise law-abiding(ish)- gun owners are fairly common.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

singhcr wrote:
Even after the Mumbai bombings, the police actually issued fewer permits than before

Here is an apparent quote from Mr. D Sivanandan, the Mumbai Police Commissioner. This was when he was asked why permits were tightened up in the wake of the Mumbai attack.
Quote:
"We are always there when a crime is happening and there would have been more deaths if the common people were armed. So let people stay unarmed and let us do our jobs"

Another case of "who are you going to believe? Me, or your lying eyes".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.