Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Remington 597 sideways stovepipe 
 Post subject: Remington 597 sideways stovepipe
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:38 pm 

I'm wondering if someone might have some insight and a suggestion. I have a Remington 597 that fails to eject spent casings correctly and it's been doing it since the day I bought it(new). What it does is after I fire and before the spent case can clear the ejection port, the bolt catches the casing as it's ejecting (while pushing the next round into the chamber) and jams it in the front of the ejection port. So what I have is an empty case sticking out of the port, a sideways stovepipe. I have tried different .22 ammo to hopefully correct this. I've tried Remington and Federal, they are the worst. Blazer .22 does it to but not as frequent, about every 4th or 5th round. Please help and Thanks!

“If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed, if you will not fight when victory will be sure and not so costly, you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no chance of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.” — Winston Churchill

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Remington 597 sideways stovepipe
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:23 pm 

sounds like an ejector issue. if you sign up and ask here http://www.homegunsmith.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi
i am almost positive someone can give you an answer. its been a while since i checked in at that forum but i am a member there and the place is overrun with more gunsmithing knowledge then my neanderthal brain can comprehend. i would say that a lot of the members there are probably the absolute best gunsmiths and metal fabricators you will ever come across.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:24 pm 

How long have you had it, and why don't you send it in to be fixed?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

While it could be an ejector/extractor issue, have you tried 'hosing it out' with a spray can of Break Free CLP (with the 4" 'straw' for tight places)?

The reason I ask is, a couple months ago I went shooting with a friend and his son (and there were several others that were there). One of them had a Star 1911 that wouldn't eject or would stovepipe the spent casing.

I asked him when it was last cleaned. He said that it'd been a while since the last 'detailed cleaning' (stripped completely & cleaned). I asked to see it and made sure the gun was empty. Then I 'hosed it down completely' inside the chamber area, magazine area.........basically everywhere except the exterior.

Wiped it off, slapped a full mag in and then proceeded to run 5 mags through it with no malf's what-so-ever.

Clean the sh*t out of it, coat everything with a light coat of oil and try it again before sending it off to be repaired.

Seriously!

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:30 am 
Longtime Regular

If cleaning it doesn't solve the problem, try some hotter ammo like CCI minimags.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:54 am 

I don't have a 597 so don't know the gun in particular, but if it operates like almost any other semi-auto .22 rifle, it would sound to me like the bolt is sticking somewhat on you. If various types of ammo all aren't powerful enough to force the bolt all the way back so the ejector can forceably kick the empty casing out from under the extractor, you could get a stove-pipe. If you're able, I'd pull the bolt out of the gun and check for whether there are any burrs or substances on the bolt or inside the receiver where the bolt slides that may be causing the bolt to stick or not slide smoothly all the way to its most rearward position and back against the chamber face. While she's apart, inspecting the extractor and ejector would be a good idea too, making sure they look like they are supposed to and don't have some kind of factory deformity to them. Find some pics online of new parts so you have something to compare to. Also, gently try to slide the rim of an empty case (or a live round if you have to) underneath the extractor to see how the extractor holds the rim of the case. Would be good to check whether the extractor is able to move/flex against its spring as well. A burr on an extractor could cause it not to move, thereby over-holding the case when the ejector tries to kick it out. Finally, clean all the parts well. Twenty-two caliber ammo is filthy. Even a 100 rounds can really dirty up a gun, and if you were using a wet lube, that residue can really get sticky inside the receiver, etc. If there's some burr or other problem to start with, even a little gunk can cause big problems. Then lubricate with some dry lubricant like the Remington product with the teflon ingredient everyone carries, and then try the rifle again with different types of ammo.

Good luck,

Mark

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.