Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:30 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Will we ever get to have fully auto weapons? 
 Post subject: Will we ever get to have fully auto weapons?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:31 pm 

I know some people say, Incorporation first, and then fully automatic weapons and what not next.

With SCOTUS saying "weapons in common usage" and fully automatic's not being in common usage that doesn't look good, but people say if they were legal then many more people would have them and they would be in common usage..............

What is the chance of us ever being able to possess fully automatic weapons?

Basically a repeal of the NFA Act of 1934 and without having to have a Class 3.

(Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote the OP.)

Last edited by usmarine0352 on Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Will we ever get to have fully auto weapons?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:54 pm 

You can in many states - just not in MN unless they are C&R.
b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

There are only two reasons to own a full auto outside of military use:

1. they can rapidly dispose of ammo that is just gathering dust on a shelf; and

2. they put huge smiles on the faces of those that shoot them

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd perfer (for now) to keep this a states rights issue (prefer this not to be a national nay/yeah) and unfortunately that means some states won't be given full freedoms. Given the quanity of Fudds that make up gun owning MN residents, it isn't likely going to change. Brady folk have been saying for years that you don't hunt Bambi with a machinegun. . . . it has soaked into the Fudds and isn't likely to go away soon. I'd love to see the CLEO requirement striken from the NFA process . . . but with trusts being easy enough to set up these days, it seems less relevant. My thinking on full auto is that we should be able to have it and the 1968 and 1986 Acts should be stricken.

I'd love to live in a state that allowed me to wear my hearing protection on the end of my barrel & I can't fathom why the Fudds aren't willing to get behind that. I know they make fancy electronic muffs, but it seems like traditional hearing protection and hunting are at odds. I should be able to hunt and protect my hearing at the same time & I am not apt to gripe the $200 one time tax.

Baby steps in the right dirrection are better than no positive movement. Ideally the 2nd ammendment would be THE ONLY gun law, but we can't get there from here without making a few steps in between. Meanwhile, we need to focus on battles we could win & I think silencers would be a better fight to pick, as I think we could gain the support of Fudds.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:37 pm 

bstrawse wrote:
b

i believe you can in mn if you get the class III. i know a guy with a full auto sten gun. if i run into him i will have to ask but i think i remember him saying he had a class III.

aside from that the only benefit i see to us being allowed to own them without much regulation, would be to the ammo companies.

they are fun to fire once in a while but you can go threw a few hundred rounds like it was nothing.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pro: It scares the bejeebers out of the gubberment types.

Con: It scares the bejeebers out of my wallet.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

jmw55018 wrote:
bstrawse wrote:
b

i believe you can in mn if you get the class III. i know a guy with a full auto sten gun. if i run into him i will have to ask but i think i remember him saying he had a class III.

aside from that the only benefit i see to us being allowed to own them without much regulation, would be to the ammo companies.

they are fun to fire once in a while but you can go threw a few hundred rounds like it was nothing.

And, that is what the earlier person said. The Sten is a C&R. Normal folks in MN cannot own any machine gun except C&R. Cost is very high (well, I guess it depends on one's definition of expensive).

I have one of the more inexpensive...a Reising model 50. It is a hoot to shoot. But...still ...in the $4000+ range for one of the least pricey you can legally own in MN for us peons.

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:00 pm 

i didnt know how they classified a sten gun. i was just saying i thought he said he had a class III license.

either way full auto eats up lots of ammo, and i meen lots, did i say lots, yes way lots of ammo :mrgreen:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

...either way full auto eats up lots of ammo, and i meen lots, did i say lots, yes way lots of ammo

That is for sure! Here is a video of a Reising and a Sten being shot....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7am2UIsXDAM&feature=PlayList&p=C7631CA743F5C92C&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=17

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:18 am 

i cant remember what make or model his sten gun is but i know its bottom fed, has a wire type folding stock, and fires from an open bolt. its full auto/semi auto and is one of the funnest weapons to fire that i have ever come across.

its pretty hard to fire acuratly with full auto but after a whole afternoon with his sten gun i was pretty good with it.
now a couple years since i have fired it, i probably couldnt hit dirt with it if i was in a cave.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:15 am 
Longtime Regular

Full Auto's are not "Green" guns. They shoot to many rounds and waste our resources. They also are a cause of global warming. Algore doesn't like them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:01 am 
Longtime Regular

JimC wrote:
Full Auto's are not "Green" guns. They shoot to many rounds and waste our resources. They also are a cause of global warming. Algore doesn't like them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:51 am 

jmw55018 wrote:
i cant remember what make or model his sten gun is but i know its bottom fed, has a wire type folding stock, and fires from an open bolt.

Its not a STEN its an M3 or M3A1 Grease Gun, or an MP3008. STENs are side feed only.

Grease Gun:

MP3008:

I will admit the MP3008 does look alot like a STEN, Im just a stickler for proper ID of a firearm.

Last edited by Ranger01 on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:59 am 

Ok, did I completely miss the boat here, did something change, or do I just not understand? Regarding full auto firearms in MN, I always thought that you COULD get a full auto firearm legally provided you had the money, jumped through all the hoops and paper work with the ATF, got the CLEO signature, etc. I didn't think it had to be or was limited to a C&R firearm. Obviously your limited by the FOPA of 1986 to not owning anything manufactured after 1986 but I thought you could still get full auto firearms manufactured before 1986 that didn't have to be C&R!?!?

What about owning a full auto firearm though a corporation, is that out to in MN?

I'm thoroughly depressed now.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

340PD wrote:
Ok, did I completely miss the boat here, did something change, or do I just not understand? Regarding full auto firearms in MN, I always thought that you COULD get a full auto firearm legally provided you had the money, jumped through all the hoops and paper work with the ATF, got the CLEO signature, etc. I didn't think it had to be or was limited to a C&R firearm. Obviously your limited by the FOPA of 1986 to not owning anything manufactured after 1986 but I thought you could still get full auto firearms manufactured before 1986 that didn't have to be C&R!?!?

What about owning a full auto firearm though a corporation, is that out to in MN?

I'm thoroughly depressed now.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yes, the boat sailed without you.

Us normal folk, non FFL etc, can C&R only.

To clear up your depression, I have 100 rounds you can toss through my Reising ....of course the "catch" is that you need to come to the Detroit Lakes area for that therapy.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.