Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Hunting out of state: Check or Ship Rifle? 
 Post subject: Hunting out of state: Check or Ship Rifle?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:09 pm 
Journeyman Member

I will be flying to Montana next month on a hunting trip and trying to decide whether to check my rifle as baggage or to ship it. I have read several posts regarding checking handguns on this site and that seems pretty straight forward. However, a rifle is a little different, as it can't exactly be placed inside a checked bag. When a rifle case drops onto baggage claim, it is pretty obvious of its contents.

Since I have not flown with a firearm in a while I checked the NWA site for rules: http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/specialitems.html

Quote:
Firearms, Handguns, and Ammunition
Passengers should check with Northwest for current policies, requirements, and restrictions on traveling with firearms and related items.

Northwest Airlines does not accept guns or firearms of any kind in carry-on baggage.

Northwest accepts handguns, BB guns, rifles, and shotguns as checked baggage, with certain limitations and requirements.

Northwest accepts one of the following in lieu of one piece of baggage included in the baggage allowance:

* One (1) rifle case containing no more than four (4) rifles/shotguns, one (1) shooting mat, one (1) noise suppressor and tools.
* One (1) pistol case containing no more than five (5) handguns, one (1) scope, one (1) noise suppressor and tools.

When checked piece containing guns is in excess of weight allowance, appropriate excess charges apply.

In addition to one (1) of the above items, Northwest accepts small arms ammunition up to a maximum of 11 pounds (5 kg). Guns and ammunition may be in the same piece of baggage. However, ammunition must be within its own packaging.

For trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific travel, firearms may be included in the baggage allowance as described above. However, for international travel you must obtain and comply with regulations governing the transportation of firearms for *ALL* countries you are traveling to, including those where only flight connections occur.

Northwest accepts firearms, handguns, and ammunition under the following conditions:
o All firearms must be locked in a suitable crush-proof / hard-sided container manufactured specifically for firearms or hard-sided suitcase. Hard-shell gun cases can be purchased at domestic airports.
o Ammunition must be in the manufacturer's original packaging or a container specifically designed for ammunition. Ammunition with explosive or incendiary projectiles will not be accepted.
o Due to TSA regulations, gun cases must be properly locked. Often gun cases require further TSA inspection.
o TSA approved locks are approved for checked baggage only. They are NOT approved for bags containing firearms.

Northwest does not accept liability for loss, damage, or delay of firearms, handguns, and ammunition. Excess valuation insurance may not be purchased for transport of firearms, handguns, and ammunition.

I was a bit confused by the last 2 bullet items... must be properly locked as TSA requires futher inspection, but TSA approved locks are NOT approved for firearms. So I decided to call someone at NWA. When I could not find the right number to call, I used the online email option... Not so helpful.

Question
Quote:
I have read the Baggage Special Items section online in regards to
firearms, but am a bit confused about locks.
Northwest accepts firearms, handguns, and ammunition under the following
conditions:
All firearms must be locked in a suitable crush-proof / hard-sided
container manufactured specifically for firearms or hard-sided suitcase.
Hard-shell gun cases can be purchased at domestic airports.
Ammunition must be in the manufacturer's original packaging or a
container specifically designed for ammunition. Ammunition with
explosive or incendiary projectiles will not be accepted.
Due to TSA regulations, gun cases must be properly locked. Often gun
cases require further TSA inspection.
TSA approved locks are approved for checked baggage only. They are NOT
approved for bags containing firearms.
It says that the gun case must be "properly" locked, but require further
TSA inspection. What does that mean? It also says that TSA approved
locks are not allowed for firearms. What kind of lock should be used.
I'm confused. Thanks.

Answer:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Online Customer Service.

The Searchalert comes with a tool that allows TSA to open the lock
without damaging it.

Any further questions you might have, Please contact Reservations at
1-800-225-2525, a Reservation Agent will be able to assist you.

I trust this information will get you the answers your looking for.

Thank you for choosing Northwest Airlines, now part of Delta Air Lines.
We value your patronage and consider it a privilege to serve your travel
needs.

Sincerely,

Susan
Online Customer Service

Since it didn't really answer my question, I called a Reservation Agent. She clarified that it should be locked with your own lock and the bit about TSA requiring further inspection would only happen with you there before it is sent off. She went on to say I could do what I wanted, but if it was her she would not check a rifle. She mentioned that it was too easy for someone to take it off the baggage claim and that NWA was not responsible for it.

So... that led me to look into shipping. I did find this on the ATF site: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b8
Quote:
(B9) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity? [Back]

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

This leads me to believe that I can ship it to myself in Montana, without having to involve an FFL. Has anyone done this?

Does anyone have any experience with this situation that could give some advice? Sorry for the long post. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Hunting out of state: Check or Ship Rifle?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Drive out and save the hassles.

Seriously!

These TSA assholes and 'luggage regulations' nowdays are nothing short of a joke.

Last time I flew was about 5 years ago. I had my laptop (in a case), and a 'sports bag' (basically a weeks worth of clothes & personal hygiene items), as carry on baggage (I wanted to keep everything within my sight).

Flying out of McCarran airport (Las Vegas), these lackys made me dang near strip to my boxers before letting me on the plane. I also had to fire up my laptop before boarding.

I will NEVER fly again! :evil:

Reason I refuse to fly again? I'm a 6' 5" tall 'white guy' with a Class A CDL w/ HazMat endorsement (extensive background checks)........and I was treated like sh*t while trying to board. They never even checked a couple 'obvious muslims'. :evil: :bang:

Squeeze trigger, BANG, repeat. Kind of boring, but I never cared for drama.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:49 pm 
Journeyman Member

I hear ya Hunter, but I already bought my ticket as it was only $300. I couldn't drive my truck there and back for that...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

The weird thing about locks. TSA cut my non-TSA lock off my gun case this year. (A story in itself). They replaced it with a TSA compatible lock. Go figure.

As far as checking the rifle. I dunno if I'd do it. It might grow legs...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Double tap. :bang:

Last edited by Hunter07 on Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Speaking of the TSA..............If only it were this easy. :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYcARF1-JDg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:30 pm 

I know things can get stolen when checked. But it always baffles me how this can be so prevalent in an environment that is supposed to be SOOOOOO secure. I mean, they expect nobody to be able to sneak anything in and put it on a plane but they let theft go rampant where people can bring things OUT easily? It just doesn't make sense.

BB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:05 am 
Longtime Regular

Can't you ups it or FX it to the lodge where you'll be staying?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:10 am 

JimC wrote:

That's what I'd do. Probably cheaper than paying to get it on the plane anyway. Less likely to get stolen, too. (Ship it ahead of time, have it arrive before you leave, so you're home to deal with any hassles?)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 am 
Longtime Regular

Q_Continuum wrote:
JimC wrote:

That's what I'd do. Probably cheaper than paying to get it on the plane anyway. Less likely to get stolen, too. (Ship it ahead of time, have it arrive before you leave, so you're home to deal with any hassles?)

I don't know about that, I heard of guns gettign stolen out of transit via UPS and FX too. Make sure to get adequate insurance.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:03 pm 

Your gun(s) will go through the same airport weather you travel with or ship them.

http://mrra.org
6 down, 24 to go.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:02 pm 

as another option long guns can also go via USPS

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.