Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 new gun recommendations 
 Post subject: new gun recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think My dad has the bug now :-)

He's looking at two purchases and a trade in the near future.

I believe he carried a Model 10 for awhile as a deputy sherrif some years back but he's not limiting himself to revolvers at this time. He has a Taurus Model 82 he's probably going to trade in on his next purchase. I think he's looking for 2 guns, 1 to plink with and one a little more serious and "smaller". He mentioned something sized like a PPK. He also mentioned that he doesn't think he's looking at a .45 or anything that big.

My immediate thought was to get him into two identical guns. or similar enough that the muscular memory from one would directly translate to the other. Something like a S&W in 22 and the corresponding S&W in .357. Maybe a Walther P22 and P99 combo. Who knows. I suggested we go shooting and renting together in the near future which seemed to go over well.

My question to the community brain trust:
2 categories of guns you like:
1) a gun that is available or has a twin in .22
2) your favorite automatic that would be the size of a PPK.

Opine away :-)

Post subject: Re: new gun recommendations
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
he doesn't think he's looking at a .45 or anything that big.

Though I'm still interested in a good .45 / .22lr conversion kit. I just don't know how that works. Is the gun semi-permaneantly converted to .22? does one need to buy 2 guns, 1 to convert and one for social putposes? Or is it more modular and swappable?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Though I'm still interested in a good .45 / .22lr conversion kit. I just don't know how that works. Is the gun semi-permaneantly converted to .22? does one need to buy 2 guns, 1 to convert and one for social putposes? Or is it more modular and swappable?

They are fast and simple to swap. See http://www.22lrconversions.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

BERSA makes a really solid .380 that is a clone of the PPK. It is also available in .22. I have shot both and they are wonderful bargains. Carrying my .380 today.

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would say for a PPK size it would be a Kel-tec P11 or PF9. You could always have him get a 357 or 38 K-frame 2 inch and get a 22LR K-frame. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
2) your favorite automatic that would be the size of a PPK.

Just get the PPK ! Or possibly a Sig P-232.

22 slide conversions are also nice but the good ones are often close to the price of a new (complete) gun. How about a Sig P-226 matched with a Sig Mosquito?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:47 am 

The Bersa line of guns has a .22 and a .380 that are essentially the same. They are also rather reliable little guns.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:43 am 
Delicate Flower

The Bersa .380 is on sale this week @ Gander.........$ 229.99. Good price...... thru today I believe. Bought one yesterday. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:58 am 

Another option would be a CZ-75/85 with the Kadet .22 adapter. I have this setup, and the CZ with the adapter on it is by far the most accurate .22 I own. It's more money the some of the other options mentioned here, but might be worth considering. Total retail price would be around $650 - 700. The advantage is you only have to learn how to handle one gun. It works VERY well!!

I'd also second the recommendation of the Bersa.380. I just bought one for the wife, and it's a great little gun, and very reasonably priced!

TomK
N Mpls, MN

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 am 
Longtime Regular

The current front runner is a Beretta 92FS with a .22 conversion kit. Pro: FACTORY conversion kit vs after market.

It will also weigh similar (less the difference in ammunition) and a trigger job or grips or etc that affects the lower would be good for both. Perhaps a range trip is in order.

Post subject: Range Report
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Thought some would be interested in an update...

So, the decision was a Beretta Brigadeer with the .22 conversion kit. I was skeptical at first but WOW. The single action trigger is smoothe, and the gun's heft just eats all the recoil of a .22 (it's pretty noticable on 9mm to). Shooting 250 rounds for ~$2.50 is a nice plus as well.

Here's what we've been doing:
1) Shooting 5 shot strings. The idea is to handle the controls a LOT while still able to see groupings.
2) Shoot and see targets. .22 holes are small and into a 5 spot target with the tires backdrop like Bill's, it's hard to see where your shot went (unless it misses the bullseye ;-)
3) Safety Safety Safety. He's pretty good, but I'm paranoid ya know. I'm still having some qualms on this score. Nothing serious, just habit forming stuff and over the top 4 rules stuff.

Things like:

ALWAYS drop the mag before racking the slide on the last shot. the .22 conversion does not always lock back on empty. Dad usually Decocks, Pulls the slide back just enough to visually inspects, releases slide, then drops mag. In theory, he'd see the new round being loaded. In practice, if he reverses the steps he can GAURANTEE another round is not being loaded.

Also, range safety rules like always casing and uncasing at the firing line and no exceptions on rule 2. Dad has been nown to carry the weapon from place to place on the range sans magazine with the slide locked back. I know it can be done. I know it's safe and other shooters should be able to verify by sight. I personally prefer to drop mag, lock slide, point gun at floor, make a straight line to the back bench, make sure I NEVER sweep anyone even with the gun in that state, and do my work there if necessary (swapping slides/barrels)

It's HARD to correct your Dad who was a Deputy and grew up with guns. I think the history leads to a bit of complacency since his last experiences were before our current litigous culture developed and many years before the current version and devotion to absolute safety as the rule.

All that said, they're small issues. On to the positive:
Damn can he shoot. Much better than I do anyway. And he LOVES it. I'm really enjoying shooting with him and his new gun is a joy to shoot as well.

We used a range pass + guest+Rental from Bill's so I also got to shoot the XD-9 again. Can you say FUN? Thought so.

Anyway, thanks all for your advice. I've found in dealing with my Dad getting back into guns that his wants/needs/questions/interests change almost daily and I'm trying not to make any more assumptions. He's getting back interested and proficient. His comfort level will increase (HE doesn't care for anything without a hammer because he worked in the primarily revolver days IIRC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Were y'all at Bill's North yesterday, just after 2:00PM??

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

3ish. you shooting a XD45?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:41 am 
Longtime Regular

I left about 2:30ish. I was shooting my own. I did see a guy and his son(?) come in looking at range guns. The guy was approx 55 years old, 5'8", 200 lbs, balding, and definitely had a LEO/ Military appearance about him and the son(?) had tatoos all over his arms. I don't know if that was y'all or not.

I was firing my new Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro yesterday. For the price, I would definitely recommend that gun. Bill's is a little more expensive, but the salesguy stated that there is some differences between their Taurus PT145 MilPro and the one I purchased. (Better trigger action and some other seemingly insignificant modifications)

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 10:45 am 
Longtime Regular

well, not us then. I have no Tatoos.

Salesman was a young guy, tall and skinny? or was it Bruce (shorter and not so skinny(Pot calling Kettle here)?

Personally, unless it was a used gun, I'd doubt any modifications that made it signifigantly different than another gun of the same model, vintage, and manafacture purchased for retail sale by a large Gun Shop. That doesn't at first wiff pass the Smell test to me.

I could be wrong, and would be interested in the details if I am.

Last edited by plblark on Thu May 25, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.