Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:15 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 First time carrying 
 Post subject: First time carrying
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:36 pm 

I've read plenty of stories of other peoples' first times out carrying, so I thought I'd share mine.
First, my permit came from the Anoka Cty. Sheriff's office on day #...30. Good timing, eh?

So I decided to take it out for a test spin on day 31. And where better to go but Cabela's? So I loaded up the Colonel with 14 rounds of .45 ACP +P, and headed out. Now everyone is nervous, and paranoid about being spotted right? Well, I wasn't worried about being spotted; I'm legal and all. But I did feel quite a bit of nervousness. Or maybe it was excitement.

With the sale and Christmas coming and all, Cabela's was pretty crowded. I filled out the application for a Visa card, and they gave me back temporary paperwork with a scary-large credit limit. I was looking at the Krieghoff shotguns, and I could have come home with one if I'd been brave enough to face the wife.

So instead I found the revolvers. I've been convinced; you just can't beat a small revolver for discreet and reliable carry. I'll still carry the .45 whenever I can. But I came home with a S&W 642. They've got it marked at $369.99. But it rang up at $351. I bought some other things to get to the $100 off range, so I got $100 off, plus $15 off in points on the card to start me out. If I've figured it right, I paid just under $252 for a brand new revolver.

When I got home and showed it to the wife she immediately confiscated it, declared it cute, and named it Betty. Apparently we'll be fighting over the new gun. Ohwell; if I lose that fight, I'll just have to go buy another one. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Funny, I was just thinking today about the limitations of snubbies: pants pocket carry is very discreet, but not easy to reach when you're sitting; crossdraw or shoulder holster or jacket pocket are better then, especially in the car. Ammo capacity is relatively limited, and reloading is slower than an auto.

Then it hit me: all these limitations are solved by carrying two (or more) snubbies!

What's more, buying 3 snubbies, especially with anything like that Cabela's deal, can be cheaper than one high-cap autoloader. And now I see the rationale for the alloy snubby: the weight of a steel snubby might get uncomfortable, when you start carrying more than, say, four or five of them.

Plus if a family member admires them, you just go ahead and give them a couple. Maybe they should sell them in six-packs.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

You need to carry three or four across the chest, Blackbeard style

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dude! you crack me up. . . . The snubbie thing is getting to me too. Is there a 5 shot .44 with a barrel <3? I am also on this "next gun has to be a .44" kick. I have looked at the Ruger Alaskan and Taurus in .44, but both of those have the width of a 6 shot cyl. I am looking really hard at the Taurus 2 1/4" Ultralite. . . . it may be six rather than five, but I can go up a size in cover garment, if it comes down to that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

You must always keep the wife happy. You can always buy another one. :wink:

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Pat, you are finally catching on....why do you think that I wear those 6 pocket 511 pants..........one snub in each pocket (that is 30 rounds) and they are light enough that I can still stick my 1911 in the IWB...... :shock:

Just wait till I get a matching 6 pocket vest......... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:35 am 
Longtime Regular

squib_joe wrote:
You need to carry three or four across the chest, Blackbeard style
This would be legal in IPSC in the new "Limited 5" division, which I just made up. In the corresponding IDPA "Mutual Backup Revolver" (MBR) division, they would have to be concealed in pockets or belt holsters. The other main difference would be, in IDPA, as opposed to IPSC, you could only fire one at a time, and you could not throw the revolver on the ground until it was empty. Also, the slide gadget as in Taxi Driver that pops the gun into your hand from up your sleeve, would be legal in IPSC, but not in IDPA, that is until it is <strike>for sale at Wilson Combat</strike> a standard factory item approved by the updated IDPA rulebook.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.