Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Range shooting question. 
 Post subject: Range shooting question.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

So Saturday I take my Ruger P85 MKII out of the gun safe, check to make sure its unloaded, put it in my handy dandy super trusty pistol transportation device and head for the range.

At the range, the young lady behind the counter informed me that the pistol range was busy, but that I could go to the rifle side if I wanted. I really didn't feel like waiting so I headed to the rifle side. After hanging up my target and sending it down range I noticed that the target really hung low and unless I wanted to practice headshots on the McBadGuy target, I was going to be aiming at the floor. I requested a different lane, moved, and had the same issue. I practiced some head shots and finally decided that I would make use of the shooting bench and sat my butt down. I practiced both sites and point shooting. Not much difference, which either is good that I can hit the target without looking at the sites OR I really need to practice my site shooting.

Anyway... My issue is this. From my perspective the target was way too low and COM shooting while standing was aiming at the floor and unsafe. Was this just an optical illusion? And if it is unsafe, what in the hell is the range doing letting people use the rifle side to pistol shoot?

Next time I wait for the pistol range.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:22 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

You didn't say which range.

I have not used the rifle range at Bill's or Burnsville.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Right. Sorry...

Bill's Circle Pine location is the range I was shooting at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Roger let me use the rifle range at Burnsville on IPSC nite a couple of weeks ago. He warned me to watch my point of impact, and I can see why -- there's something about the target carrier alignment that's just much more sensible for rifle shooting than pistol shooting. It's easy to see how 'ordinary' pistol shooting on a long rifle bay would involve shots hitting the floor or ceiling.

I guess you'd have a range with a tall backstop and a sloped floor to accomodate the length and the angle variations of shooters.

I just tried for dead-straight aiming and ignored the fact that I wasn't really hitting the silhouette at the point one might normally want to. I was just testing reloads & functionality in the gun anyway, and could have just as well shot into a snail trap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:56 pm 
on probation

if you dont mind me tell you that this is the girl that put you on the rifle side because i asked you if you would rather wait or shoot right then, and i also told you that most people do not like shooting over there. you had the option to where you wanted to shoot you were just to impatiant to be on the side you wanted. also might i add that it was deer season and when that happens and you go on the rifle side then you really dont get much of a choice. so dont blame me blame yourself for choosing where you went!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

At least at Bill's South, there are two different target hangers. One drops the target quite a bit, the other is high. This allows the same lane to be used for either standing or sitting.

It sounds like a simple miscommunication to me. No need for either side to get agitated, please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Range_Gurl wrote:
if you dont mind me tell you that this is the girl that put you on the rifle side

Hi Range_Gurl! Welcome to the Forum!

Quote:
because i asked you if you would rather wait or shoot right then, and i also told you that most people do not like shooting over there. you had the option to where you wanted to shoot you were just to impatiant to be on the side you wanted.

Yes you did ask me and I did in fact ask to go to the rifle side.

Quote:
also might i add that it was deer season and when that happens and you go on the rifle side then you really dont get much of a choice. so dont blame me blame yourself for choosing where you went!

If it looked like I was blaming you, I apologize. That was not my intent in the least. My question, although upon rereading one that was pourly crafted, was one of safety. Not that I felt overly unsafe and I asked for my knowledge, not to point any fingers. I am way to new to the shooting scene to start pointing fingers. Bill's was the first range I have used in the cities other than when I qualified. My previous range experience has been plinking cans off of fence posts. I simply had no point of comparison so I asked the Forum.

Range_Gurl was helpful, informative and quite pleasant when she waited on me. Next time I am in, I will introduce myself.

Andrew Rothman wrote:
At least at Bill's South, there are two different target hangers. One drops the target quite a bit, the other is high. This allows the same lane to be used for either standing or sitting.

As Range_Gurl stated, it was deer season. That would explain the low hanging target holders. Now I know and will be able to formulate much more intelligent questions in the future. :mrgreen:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 pm 
Delicate Flower

Welcome aboard Range_Gurl ! :)

Don't hesitate to clarify or speak your mind but, as Andrew says, it's mostly simple miscommunication. Although flameproof suits are called for at times on this forum. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:27 am 

hmmm, bill's has female employees... I may have to go to circle pines...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:50 am 

Cute hat, Pakrat. You really have an eye for seasonal embellishment :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:13 pm 
on probation

one thank you for apoligizing two you could have come off the range accually told me what was going on and i would have tried to fix it for you and three to that rat guy please dont come up here if you are just gunna try and hit on me beacuse i will just hit you myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:25 pm 

Range_Gurl wrote:
...to that rat guy please dont come up here if you are just gunna try and hit on me beacuse i will just hit you myself.

A number of things to address in this thread:
EDIT- After I calmed down, I figured I wouldn't stoop to a high-school level... So, I abbreviated the list.

1. I wasn't going to hit on you
2. It's nice to see females around guns
4. Now I have a lower opinion of bill's

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nice attitude Range Gurl. :roll: I guess I have no need to bother going to Bills either. Are you all that high-strung? I mean, geez, pakrat was just being friendly.

Your remark was flat out rude. I think you're the one who should be apologizing at this point.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Range_Gurl wrote:
...............to that rat guy please dont come up here if you are just gunna try and hit on me beacuse i will just hit you myself.

He, he, he, "Rat Guy", THATS FUNNY!!! :lol:

Hey, "Rat Guy", are you really going to Bills’ to look for a date, ha, ha, ha, now that's REALLY FUNNY!!! :lol: :lol:

Actually, Range_Gurl, Pakrat is a really nice fellow just don’t take him to seriously. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:42 pm 
Delicate Flower

JDR wrote:
Range_Gurl wrote:
...............to that rat guy please dont come up here if you are just gunna try and hit on me beacuse i will just hit you myself.

He, he, he, "Rat Guy", THATS FUNNY!!! :lol:

Hey, "Rat Guy", are you really going to Bills’ to look for a date, ha, ha, ha, now that's REALLY FUNNY!!! :lol: :lol:

Actually, Range_Gurl, Pakrat is a really nice fellow just don’t take him to seriously. :wink:

Ditto.......love the "rat guy" moniker :lol: :lol: :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.