Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What does your family think? 
 Post subject: What does your family think?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:44 pm 
Journeyman Member

I'm talking outside of your household (or inside if you'd like I guess), about your choice to carry?

The only person I have really discussed it with is my mother. I find it amusing in a way the change she has gone through. She is all for it.

(A little background. I am in my early 30s, a responsible father, a homeowner, etc...I can do what I want regardless of my mother's approval)

Years ago, she was very anti-gun. She even made my father get rid of his. When I got a high-standard 22LR handgun, she almost had a heart attack.

Recently, I mentioned I was looking to own a handgun again. Not a single bad word from her. When I found one, one of her first questions was when I would get my permit to carry. I asked her why she was asking, her response: "It's a crazy world, there is no reason not to carry if you are capable of shooting." (or something along those lines). She even said if she thought she could trust herself with one, she would have one. I was blown away. She saw my P95, and asked if I was going to get another smaller one for better concealment.

This made me really think. It has been about 12 years since I had my first handgun (the one she HATED). Her attitude sort of opened my eyes a bit as to how much the world has changed for the worse in such a short time. But, I digress...I'm more curious how your family (or friends) feel about carrying. Those that are supportive, have they undergone an attitude change like my mother did?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

My wife is pretty indifferent to my carrying. She was a bit doubtful at first, but has seen that I won't be shooting off my (or her) toes. She grew up with guns in her home so she's not against them by default, she just never gave it much thought one way or another.
I've been trying to get her to go shooting with me for years, but we never get around to it. Earlier this year, we both joined our county deputy reserve unit, and we were recently sent to some ROTA (reserve officer training). We did simunitions scenarios- we practiced clearing buildings full of bad guys, and doing high danger traffic stops.
We shot simunition ammo- powder charged but with small paint pellets for bullets. Not paintball, but actual replica Glock style pistols which actually cycled when they were shot. We were all dressed up in safety gear and such. She had a good time doing that, and she's now interested in going shooting. Am going to try for this Friday afternoon.
It was the simunition shooting that perked her interest.

My mother absolutely hates guns. Despite many conversations to try and convince her otherwise, she associates guns as bad because they kill people. Part of it has to do with a suicide by gun that was done by a relative about 20 years ago. Not going to be any changing of her mind.
She hates that I own guns, hates that I carry one, etc.....
I've given up trying to convince her otherwise.

Other than that, most of the other people I know are indifferent. One guy at work is a rabid anti gunner, and we have to work together- we just agree to disagree. He's one of those 60's pacifist types.

I did bring one co-worker to the range a few years ago. He's from Great Britian, and as you might expect, has had no exposure to guns with their laws on guns being what they are. He had a great time, and was a remarkably good shot for a beginner. He doesn't give me any grief over carrying.

Sorry for the long post, but you got me going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

My Mom is the exact opposite of Brewman’s mom.

She was here from California visiting us last week. She knows I have guns. She asked one day if I ever carried one. I told her “yes, all the time”, She said “good”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Guns are part of my family culture, from the PC sporting use (hunting is big, bigger than football, we used to breed two different game dogs . . . Britney Spaniels and Gordon Setters) to the retaining of the guns that were used to guarantee the freedoms we now enjoy (what was used by one forefather in the American Revolution is still with us as is the gun used in part of my family to oppose northern aggression). My family doesn’t believe in selling guns. We buy them, and give them a degree of care befitting their intended use (use `em, fix `em, and hang `em on the wall when they don’t shoot no more, but never, ever, sell a gun). My father grew up poor, got something like $0.02 per head on rats he used to pick off near the silos, dove in the water hazards late at night to get golf balls to sell . . . he made a good life though and I have a lot of privileges because of his hard work. I wouldn’t dream of selling one of the guns he coulda sold when times were tough. I carry (when legal, still gotta get squared away here), I shoot, I love the whole art of the gun & my family supports it so long as I don’t spend my cash on shooting instead of food.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:11 am 
Longtime Regular

My wife, too, is fairly indifferent. She went to the range once, but could not commit to pulling the trigger. We now have 2 young daughters and she is ok that I carry for their and her protection.

Her parents, who baby-sit the girls, know that I carry, but are not real happy about it. I get home from work carrying openly and they have asked me to not "flaunt it", but I told them in no uncertain terms, that this is my house, my family and I will protect them in the manner I see fit. They can live with it or not see their grandchildren.

They still baby-sit.

My mother knows that both her son's own and carry guns. She has no problem with it and with us bringing them to her home when we visit. My dad is indifferent, but would prefer that guns did not exist. What can you do?

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:18 am 
Longtime Regular

What we can do is try and educate them by example and calm debate.
Then hope for the best. Some minds just can't or won't be changed, and I accept that there is little I can do other than what I'm already doing.
It's their opinion, however much I may disagree, and they have the right to hold it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:53 am 

My wife, an occasional but not active shooter, is supportive of me carrying. The rest of her family, are passively to actively anti-gun. They all know we shoot, but none of them know I carry and I see no reason to bring up the issue. My family is not aware I carry either, though I doubt any of them would be critical of it, but again, there's no reason for me to bring it up unless they ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Best I can say is that my wife "tolerates" my guns. She, too, has heard of too many of her high school chums and other high school kids killing themselves when drinking & playing with guns. She hasn't said much about me carrying. Kind of a quiet "tolerance", at best. Her family is about the same. I suppose I need to educate them a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wife - Wants to get a cary permit.

My parents - guns all their lives, my mom can hit anything under 200 yards with a Winchester 30-30. And that's where I learned all about gun safety.

My Inlaws - He had a FFL. The mother inlaw says I shouldn't cary because the bad guy will take my gun from me and use it on me...............

Brother - brainwashed/castrated by his east coast wife.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:22 pm 
Delicate Flower

Let's see

Family group......all 3 bros hunt/fish/shoot one with permit
5 nieces 19-23 3 want training (one coming Dec.10th)
Bro in law Hunt/fish etc Took class- no permit yet
Dad Passed 5 yrs ago...before he did he divided firearms
amongst us (not one was sold!!)

Mom...........likes my laser gripped 38 and would probably train and get permit if not for the arthritis in her hands [she's 78]

4 sisters .... 1 dingaling out of state (me ? Gun? ) 1 who wants training just to have the knowledge, 1 ditz (read as "no way") and one who should train because of her job etc......somewhat tentative...working on her. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:39 am 
Longtime Regular

My family is and intersting mix. My father, mother and sister are or were teachers. My father knows and understands completely. After I told him he showed me a very old non functioning revolver he keeps in his sock drawer. My mother knows I have guns but not about the carry permit. Sister does not know.

The wife was very surprise when I started to buy guns including handguns but her vice is horses so guns are much cheaper. She wanted me to go get training past the basic that I had. So, I signed up for Joel's carry course and got my permit. I carried for 2 days without my wife knowing before I showed her my permit and my P32 that I was using. She was surprise and asked the why question. We talked and now when we go out she asks are you carring? I said, "I always carry!" Now she enjoys shooting my Ruger 10/22 and is darn good with it. Someday maybe a carry permit.

My father-in-law knows and is tickeled pink because both of his son-in-law enjoy shooting guns. I'm working on him to get his own carry permit which he is open to.

My mother-in-law does not know and was a old hippie so would not understand. She knows I have guns.

My bother and sister-in-law know and no issue. He started me on my long gun fetish.

My best friend has a carry permit. He help start me on the handgun fetish.

So a mixed bag but most Minnesotains have guns of some type or another. :D :D :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 9:05 am 

We both have permits. We both enjoy practicing at the range, when time permits (which it hasn't, lately). We used to go to every IPSC match we could find and we're both range officers. It's a tremendous blessing to have a hobby we enjoy doing together, and we both know how lucky we are in that regard. Another blessing is that we trust each other's competence and safety-mindedness when we're handling guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:32 am 
Journeyman Member

My father-in-law knows I carry. He took his permit class with my wife a month after I got mine.

My wife's sister knows, but she asked that we not come armed to her house. I don't think her husband cares, but she does. I don't go out there much, but I honor her wishes when I do.

I don't think my sister knows, but she'd probably not care. She's gone shooting with us before and enjoys it. Ditto her husband.

I don't think my dad knows, but he gifted two pistols to me when I was 18, so I don't think he'd care. My mom's not around anymore, but didn't care that I had firearms at home and went shooting often. She only objected if I used smelly cleaning products indoors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:17 am 
Journeyman Member

Wife: Deceased
Oldest daughter: Guns are evil.
Two sons: 1 in Montana= 6 kids, oldest 3 have taken Elk & Deer. Youngest 3= not old enough. 2nd son=All for guns. Maybe 50 deer to his credit so far. A handgun enthusiest. Crackshot with long guns.
Next 2 daughters: Neutral.
Next daughter: "Buy me a handgun dad." She lives 500 mile from me.(Chicagoland area--Too bad.)
Next daughter: O K with guns, her husband hunts & has handguns.
Last daughter: Guns are O K. Wants to go shooting with me.
All "kids" are aged 32 to 43.
Relatives: Don't know I carry and won't tell them.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, my mom was the first one in the family to get her CCW. She then proceeded to win a gift certificate for a CCW class, which she gave to my youngest brother; who recently took a bunch from his church youth group out shooting (evil grin), including girls (even more evil grin)!

I don't know if my dad has his CCW, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The rest of family are rather jealous of those who live in "shall issue" states.

My wife had zero experience with guns, but was overcome with sense when exposed to them and realized that they were just tools. She has recently expressed some interest in learning to shoot. I have high hopes.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.