Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Letter to the Editor 
 Post subject: Letter to the Editor
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

From The Wisconsin Capital Times,

"(Letter) Adrian Alan: Training to carry concealed guns will create new first responders
A letter to the editor
December 17, 2005
Email this story to a friend
Printer-friendly format
Tell us what you think
Write a letter to the editor.

Dear Editor: Many ordinary citizens know CPR, first aid, or how to use a fire extinguisher. Their actions during the first moments of a crisis are often the difference between life and death.
The same holds true for concealed weapons permit holders. As a police officer, I know we simply cannot be everywhere, nor would the public want us to be. The training individuals will receive to obtain a concealed weapons permit under the concealed carry bill will make them qualified first responders. Like those certified in first aid, we won't expect them to perform major surgery, but it will be adequate for stabilizing a bad situation until the professionals arrive.
I am, and will always be, a citizen first and a police officer second. I do not deserve special rights not afforded to other citizens. I believe there are many good members of our communities who are willing to take on extra responsibility to keep their communities safe and to serve as first responders to stabilize dangerous situations if they want to step up and be prepared to do their part if it is ever needed. As a police officer, I am thankful for their help. I look forward to visiting my friends in my home state of Wisconsin after the concealed carry bill has become law.
Adrian Alan UW-Madison alum, municipal patrol officer Mitchell, S.D."

Wonder how that went over?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Something doesn't seem right here. I don't carry a sidearm to stablize bad situations until law enforcement arrives. I carry for self defense only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

gunflint wrote:
Something doesn't seem right here. I don't carry a sidearm to stablize bad situations until law enforcement arrives. I carry for self defense only.

Exactly. :)

I assume he is trying to win over the hearts and minds of the Wisconsin Liberals , who don’t have a clue why people would want to carry a handgun. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

That's a risky little game there. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sometimes to only way to stabilize a bad situation is to eliminate a threat with appropriate gunfire...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:26 am 
Journeyman Member

That editorial hints at vigilantism, and that WILL scare your average gun-fearing puke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:56 am 
Longtime Regular

eldo wrote:
That editorial hints at vigilantism, and that WILL scare your average gun-fearing puke.

Perhaps he is playing off the aftermath of Katrina. :?:

There were several news stories of law-abiding citizens protecting lives and property. I assume that even the Liberals wouldn’t associate permit holders would put their lot with the roving bands of criminals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:58 am 
The Man

For once, I think they agree with everything being said here. Those of us with carry permits -- basically, everybody here -- carry for self-defense, not as junior G-men. Those of us who teach permit holders all, as far as I know, teach that.

That said, in extraordinary circumstances, it wouldn't be surprising if people do extraordinary things. Or even ordinary things. Everybody has to make their own choices about such things, but when I'm carrying, except when I have my family with me, I'm more likely to, say, stop to offer to assist somebody who is broken down (well, whose car is broken down) by the roadside.

I know that's not what the officer is talking about, of course.

Beyond that, there are situations where self-defense and first response overlap. Those would have to be counted as pretty extraordinary, but, still, they can happen.

And all that said, one thing to think about -- long-term, not short-term -- is the notion of a citizen first responder. It's nothing to get overly eager about, but it's certainly worth thinking about.

In the long run, it would be worth thinking about what sort of rights and responsibilities an officially-designated non-medical first responder could and should have.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Due Moore in New Mexico was exactly the kind of first responder (and hero) that the letter refers to:

http://www.freenewmexican.com/news/31883.html

Mark Wilson in Tyler, TX, saved lives as a citizen first responder, at the cost of his own life.

http://johnrlott.tripod.com/2005/02/con ... lders.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:20 pm 
Delicate Flower

It was said before up above.......citizen 1st responder is a choice made by each permit holder who is carrying. I suspect there are a fair number of us who will answer maybe to that question. Until we are actually in that situation we can only speculate regarding our response.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.