Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Carry while biking 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 4:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I use mine on my 4 wheeler. It seals out the dirt pretty well but as you said, it's not waterproof. The place where you put the extra magazine or speedloader is another pocket. The magazine will not fall out when you draw, it's a snug fit.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:00 pm 

I started to carry a few years ago when I rode on trails with my mountain bike. I've had a couple 'run ins' with some younger fellas on ATVs and dirt bikes. I've not had to 'display my weapon' or give any threats, but as they say .... better to have one and not need it than to need one and not have it, eh.

I carry my Bersa .380 semiauto in this bag. It attaches to the top tube and down tube of the frame just in front of my seat. It is weather tight and I just rap my gun in a red shop rag and toss it in with the gun butt facing forward and the muzzle down. Zips open easily, too. I practice getting it out, too. Takes only a couple seconds.

This keeps the dirt out, the sweat and moisture out, too. And, it's inexpensive and doesn't "show". I like it a great deal. Used it for 4-5 years now.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?cate ... ame%20Bags

It's on the nashbar.com site. Called a Nashbar Frame Pack Bag. About $5 down from about $20. Check it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Bagger wrote:
It's on the nashbar.com site. Called a Nashbar Frame Pack Bag. About $5 down from about $20. Check it out.

$5 looks to be an awesome deal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
:) Picked one up today. Best one on the shelf for $53. What convinced me was that stat that 90% of serious injuries or death from bicycle falls would have been prevented if the person had been wearing a helmet.

Well, personally, I'm convinced that bicycle helmets are an absolute waste of money. They cost too much, and if you should ever have to rely on them, you can be certain that they're going to break.

I got knocked over and dragged about 25 feet, once, by a truck that took a right turn out the left hand lane. (Ramp from N-bound Cedar onto E-bound 94). I was scraped up a bit, my panniers were smashed, scraped all the tape off one side of my handlebars.

And my helmet was cracked.

Like I said, if you every try to rely on them, you can be certain they're going to break...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:

Like I said, if you every try to rely on them, you can be certain they're going to break...

I wonder if that is a design feature, like modern cars are made to come apart.

Oh yes, I try to avoid needing to test out the engineering that went into the helmet. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
Well, personally, I'm convinced that bicycle helmets are an absolute waste of money. They cost too much, and if you should ever have to rely on them, you can be certain that they're going to break.

And did this line of reasoning (that they "are an absolute waste of money") come to you after a second fall when you weren't wearing the helmet that broke during the first fall and which you failed to replace because of cost? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:18 am 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:

You should never use a helmet, because if you ever get hit by a truck, the truck will just take the helmet away and use it against you.

Quote:
I got knocked over and dragged about 25 feet...I was scraped up a bit, my panniers were smashed, scraped all the tape off one side of my handlebars.

Did your head crack? No? Sounds like the helmet functioned just fine. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
someone1980 wrote:
:)

Better the helmet than your head. Seems like it worked as it protected your head from cracking.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

THat crack would have likely been in your head if you hadn't been wearing it. Yes, they are one time use.

When I worked as a park ranger I did bike patrol only and my boss made me wear a helmet. I gave her crap for it all the time. One day I wiped out REALLY hard, over the handlebars style, and landed first square on my head. (I also managed to sprain both my wrists and break the $1000 radio on my belt.) Given how hard I hit the ground, I was quite convinced that had I not been wearing a helmet I would have had quite a serious head injury and given the opportunity to cool my heels in the hospital for a while. The helmet had a scuff in it, but we had to throw it away. It said right on the sticker inside the helmet that if it suffers an impact its integrity is compromised and it should be thrown away. (Incidentally, the guy that I nearly ran into causing my crash was my bosses boss. Based upon what he saw of the crash he wanted an ambulance taking me to the hospital. I convinced him not to.) I don't ride very much without a helmet anymore,

Not all bike helmets are created equal, though. Some helmets are stronger than others. They are one time use items, but well worth the investment. $50 - $100 is cake compared to how much a head injury costs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

AGoodDay wrote:
THat crack would have likely been in your head if you hadn't been wearing it. Yes, they are one time use.

Quote:
Roxanne Kowalski: Nobody had a coat?
C.D. Bales: I thought you said you didn't want a coat...
Roxanne Kowalski: Why would I not want a coat?
C.D. Bales: You said you didn't want a coat!
Roxanne Kowalski:[/b] I was being ironic.
C.D. Bales: Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people ski topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. We haven't had any irony here since about, uh, '83, when I was the only practitioner of it. And I stopped because I was tired of being stared at.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.