Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 An open letter to Bill's 
 Post subject: An open letter to Bill's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:57 am 

Let me preface by stating that I took my carry class there, plan on taking additional advanced handgun classes there, and in the past five years have purchased 7 hand guns there - and likely will again. With that said...

I do not know what the ownership/manager situation is at Bills, but having been in the retail industry for nearly 20 years, I know a bit about customer service.

I came in Friday to look at holsters and found the upstairs to be nearly empty except for three employees standing at the counter by the stairs. During this time my presence was not acknowledged, the folks did not even look up to 'notice' me. For about 5 minutes I scanned the holster area looking for the rare left-handed that might fit one of my guns. It was impossible not to overhear the important conversation at the counter and I shook my head as I listened to them discuss which handgun they would take deer hunter so they could see what would do the most damage to a deer. Only to amuse myself, and to prove a point to myself, I moved to look at the XD's. As I suspected would happen, I had someone with me in seconds...couldn't wait to show me the guns. Sigh...

As your customer I want a little attention, even if I might only be purchasing a holster for one of the many guns that I have bought from you in the past.

With no disrespect to any other shops, you are the 'known' shop in the Twin Cities and whether you like it or not, you are often the first opportunity non-shooters have to interact with a gun store - it is a responsibility that I wish you would take just a bit more serious.

Customer service is more than running the background check and stapling the receipt, it is making the guest excited about returning and spending more money with you.

Thank you for your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:21 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm always amazed when there are more employees then customers and no help.

By the way, I have a number of LH holsters in stock. How is that for service ;)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Srigs wrote:
I'm always amazed when there are more employees then customers and no help.

;)

The worst time to go, at lots of stores, is when there is no work for a few employees. Because, then, it's a standoff among the employees to see who gets up to work, and who continues to goof off.

And eventually, the person with the LEAST seniority, (and competence) helps you. Usually the answers to your questions are of the "Sometimes it says on the box, sir", quality.

Then he has to go get somebody else to help HIM. That person comes slowly; he preserves his place in the pecking order by acting as though "helping the new guy" is beyond his call of duty.

It would be theoretically better if they put the NEW guy in charge of making the "competent" but "cool attitude" dudes go to work....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good gravy! The folks at Bill's could learn a lot from Aveda. When the salon I work for became an Aveda salon, we got a series of classes on the products we'd be using: how to use them, what they're for, etc. Every class was thoroughly marinated in customer service.

I've seen some of my staff go from looking up at arriving guests with a bored expression and a flat, "HowcanIhelpyou," to responding to arriving guests with a radiant smile and a cheery, "Welcome! Are you here for a service today?" followed by a gracious offer of a cup of coffee or tea or a glass of water or lemonade.

This wondrous transformation doesn't happen by itself. Management has to become convinced of the benefits of this kind of effort, impress upon the employees the benefits for them and make sure it happens.

I suggest Bill's send its management to an Aveda salon (or another establishment known for its fine customer service) to experience great customer service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tick Slayer wrote:
I suggest Bill's send its management to an Aveda salon...

Wow. That was one hell of a mental image... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am never, never, never, never buying a gun there (and try to avoid buying anything else there as well). I can walk into Gunstop, say, "Hey Larry!", and at least get a hello back. Granted, he might not look up depending on the day, but it's Larry and I'm used to it.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Personally, I don't need my ass kissed when I go into a store to look at guns. I am adult enough to see what they have on the shelves for myself. I have already informed myself about roughly 75-90% of their products.

I always cut the guys at Bill's a lot of slack because of the overwhelming number of numb-nut lookee-lou's they have to deal with who want to touch a Glock-40.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not looking for an ass-kissing, but common courtesy is unknown to most of their employees with a few notable exceptions.

I spend my money with folks who want it and demonstrate that fact by treating people properly.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:59 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Tick Slayer wrote:
I suggest Bill's send its management to an Aveda salon...

Wow. That was one hell of a mental image... :)

Why? Mullets? :shock:

ETA: To those who are envisioning "ass kissing" in the description of the standard greeting at work, it's interesting that while it might have felt that way the first time, I find it actually makes me glad to see whoever I'm greeting. In a weird way, expressing the positive feelings creates them, even if I'm feeling crappy and desperately in need of a coffee or lunch.

I'd much rather go through my day being glad to see everyone who walks through the door (well, there are some notable exceptions, but they're generally low grade criminals and predatory types) than spend the entire day bored or resenting customers.

There's no hovering, just a happy greeting and offer of help. I loathe hovering salespeople. I want to know they're aware I'm present. I want to know I can ask a question without becoming the Burden of the Day. And I want space to think about what I'm buying (or not buying).

Last edited by Tick Slayer on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

My acceptable shopping expectations are as follows:

Minimun: Nod and/or smile.
Maximum: "Good afternoon. Can I help you find anything?"

Anything outside of these bounds tends to annoy me. If I have a question I will ask it. If I need help I will find someone. If I wanted to buy a coverage plan, accessory cables, or have your guys do the install I will let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

+1
DeanC wrote:
Personally, I don't need my ass kissed when I go into a store to look at guns. I am adult enough to see what they have on the shelves for myself. I have already informed myself about roughly 75-90% of their products.

I always cut the guys at Bill's a lot of slack because of the overwhelming number of numb-nut lookee-lou's they have to deal with who want to touch a Glock-40.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:17 pm 
Journeyman Member

If a business, any business, has employees loitering and they don't acknowledge me as a customer, I am out of there, most likely to never return!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:25 pm 
On time out

tepin wrote:
+1
DeanC wrote:

you both are right, but wrong, I hear the latest way to say it, after hearing two slammin' down, shnizzle up dudes call it a glUck forTAy this weekend. oi vey!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
My acceptable shopping expectations are as follows:

Minimun: Nod and/or smile.
Maximum: "Good afternoon. Can I help you find anything?"

Anything outside of these bounds tends to annoy me. If I have a question I will ask it. If I need help I will find someone. If I wanted to buy a coverage plan, accessory cables, or have your guys do the install I will let you know.

That sounds just like me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:58 am 
Longtime Regular

When I walk into a Best Buy, I don't want the security grunt to say anything to me. When I have walked into WalMart, I don't want there to be a greeter. And sure as shit when I walk in to buy a firearm I don't want a greeting unless I know the people.

As to when I am wandering around a store, I don't want to be asked 40 times if someone can help me find something unless I look like I am lost, dazed, or cant' find something (this just happened at Target, I was apparently in the vicinity of their team meeting).

What I do want to be able to do, is *easily* find someone (who expert in what they do, be it firearms or where the pickles are) to ask a question of.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.