Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SWC's in a auto? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:55 am 
1911 tainted

Pinnacle wrote:
How is that possible - there is nothing from the mag that would touch the feed ramp - whats in the mag stays in the mag.....

Easy to demonstrate. With the slide locked back, insert an empty magazine. Now with maybe a small tool like a small screw driver, push forward on the rear of the magazine follower towards the chamber of the barrel. On the metal split followers like used on 8 round magazines such as the Chip McCormick magazines, you will be able to see the front of the follower contact the feed ramp area of the frame on a 1911. This same type action occures when the last round in the magazine is being stripped off, the forward motion of that round will move the magazine follower forward allowing it to make contact with the feed ramp. Now it doesn't happen with all followers, like the 7 round magazines that have metal folowers that have a dome style top, they are held in place front and rear by the metal tabs on them that magazine spring fits up into. But any magazine follower that have only a metal tab on the rear of them can tilt or rotate forward causing them to make contact.

Hope this explains what I am taking about, if not, please ask. Hate to see you damage your nice light $700+ carry gun because of a $15 magazine. So with that said, I usually carry a Kimber Pro CDP, alloy frame, and I use Wilson 7 round magazines in it for that very reason.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:34 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

AAAHHH

You are right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgot about that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:52 am 

Hmmm.... I didn't think about the mag follower. However, when I shoot JHP or FMJ bullets, I haven't had to smooth out the feed ramp. I'll check my mags, though. I have one factory mag (cheap bastages at Kimber!), a couple of Mec-Gars, and some surplus USGI mags from Cheaper Than Dirt.

jb

ps: The ProCarry was priced at $559 when I got it at the Gun Stop about 5 years ago. Bill's didn't have one but would have ordered it for $700. The shop in Blaine - who's name escapes me - had it for $599.

John Farnam (I believe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:05 am 
1911 tainted

JonnyB wrote:
ps: The ProCarry was priced at $559 when I got it at the Gun Stop about 5 years ago. Bill's didn't have one but would have ordered it for $700. The shop in Blaine - who's name escapes me - had it for $599.

Well, I still hate to see you damage your $559 carry gun because of a $15 magazine. :P

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.