Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Exposed Bullet Lead Corroding 
 Post subject: Exposed Bullet Lead Corroding
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

I bought several bags of 38/357 jacketed hollowpoints about a year ago. I opened one bag and put them into a wooden box. I opened the box today and all of the exposed lead is now that nice frosted white - oxidized lead. None of the ones still in their bags show any signs of that at all. All look pristine.

Can anyone tell me what is causing this, or what has caused it, and if it is possible to remove it and use the bullets for reloading? I was thinking of doing a batch of 100 or so .357's but now I want to solve this problem first.

Advance thanks to anyone that help.

Post subject: Re: Exposed Bullet Lead Corroding
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't think it's any big deal. I suppose if you wanted you could tumble them a little to remove the oxidation, just not so vigorously that you strip away the wax lube.

I don't know what caused it. I'll ask my bullet casting guru next time I get over there. You couldn't snap a picture could you?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll try to post a picture. I do not have a PicturePail or PhotoBucket account and do not want to create one just for this.

I wonder if something stripped away the bullet lube. I have tons (literally) of foundry type, Monotype, and linecasting slugs stored here. I also have tons of lead bars and printer's rule material. Nothing has ever happened to that. I wonder what might be in the wood box, or absent that, if I might have done something to strip off the lube.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:09 pm 
Journeyman Member

www.tinypic.com and www.imageshack.us are both free hosting sites that do not require any registration.

Quick and easy. I use them all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

I searched Google Images for "lead oxidation" and found a picture at a site called oldammo.com. Scroll down about half way, or search in the page for "11mm Japanese Murata cartridge".

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
I searched Google Images for "lead oxidation" and found a picture at a site called oldammo.com. Scroll down about half way, or search in the page for "11mm Japanese Murata cartridge".

That is exactly what I have Pat. Does anyone know how to remove it and to coat the bullets once again?

What I am suspecting now is that I used mineral spirits to clean the inside of the wooden box I put them in. I wiped it out and used the spirits liberally. The wood probably soaked up quite a bit of it. I had planned to use the box to told the bullets so they didn't get away from me. I never got to doing the reloading that night so I put the top on the box and put it on the shelf. It has been about 2 months since then and while the jacketing material is all bright, the exposed lead all looks like the picture you referenced.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I completely missed that you said these were JHP's with an exposed lead tip. I was assuming they just cast LRN's.

The lube I was referring to was the wax ring you have on cast bullets. Your bullets have no lube because they are jacketed.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just go shoot them. The exposed lead part doesn't touch the rifling at all and will have practically no effect on accuracy. If you want to buff them up I would just try some really high count abrasive or those green scrubbing pads. WTF do you call them? Scotch Brite - yeah that's it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:03 am 

If the box was oak or any other wood that had tannins in it, that's what caused the corrosion. Also, wood is hygroscopic, which means it attracts and holds water when there is enough humidity, which will also make the situation worse.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:02 am 
Longtime Regular

A very hearty "Thank You" to all that replied. I will take the advice to tumble them to clean them up. I plan on putting some bullet lube on them afterward to hopefully stop or forestall this from happening again, at least until I can fire them up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:34 am 

A friend of mine (yes I have ONE) sent me some bullets that someone getting out of reloading gave him. I think they're pretty old since the box of 100 has a $15.95 price sticker on it. They're pretty bad and I doubt I'll use them, especially since they are for .44

I'll try to get a photo posted tonight. Maybe I'll buff them up with the ScotchBrite pad and post a before and after photo. Hmm, maybe I can use them after all........

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:52 pm 

Well looks like the ScotchBrite pad did some good, applying a nice "brushed" finish....

Before...

After...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

That is what mine look like, except that the gilding metal is still bright on mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:15 pm 

I cleaned them up and reloaded them........there are several different types..............

Wish they were still availble at these prices............and at the Tru Value store.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.