Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Looking to get into reloading 
 Post subject: from the LiveJournal braintrust
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:37 am 
Longtime Regular

a reloading cost calculator:
http://www.ohiouspsa.com/calculator_scr ... lcs/rc.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

plblark wrote:
goalie wrote:

My ammo shoots a lot better and cleaner than WWB. Ask Andrew or Pinnacle, they've shot it.

They key is that you are comparing the bottom-of-the-barrel, cheapest, skunk-crap ammo you can buy to accurate, tailored-to-your gun handloads, and the handloads are going to be cheaper.

Aha! There is the key. That's what you're ghetting for your time invested. Quality.

That's the element I was just plain missing. Thanks.

You do get quality, but that quality can go downhill a little as the cases get reloaded. Some of my 10mm cases are on their 6th generation and I've run into a few split mouths and a couple with mouth dings that wouldn't chamber easily on my S&W 610.

And the physical quality is also dependent on your components; the only thing that WWB might suffer from is dirty powder; unless Winchester is mad, a WWB ball round isn't likely to differ a whole lot from a handload; it'd probably be an equivilent FMJ bullet, case and primer that you'd use in handloading.

Of course there may be some load specific quality measures that will remain mostly constant -- custom COLs, charge strength, etc. These advantages may outweigh any loss in physical quality.

Post subject: .22 cases to .223 jacketed bullets
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

hmmm... interesting. over at ar-15.com, Fat_McNasty posted a method for using fired .22 cases to make .223 jackets.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=458607

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Combatting thread drift here - fascinating topic, but deserves to be a new one. Go here to see my comments/question and continue discussion on this process: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... 5940#15940

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:00 pm 

Thanks for all the info guys, I do plan on taking you up on your offer Pinnacle
Watching how the reloading is actually a huge way to see if it is or isnt a daunting task. I am a hands on learner if i can see it in action I usually learn alot faster. I just need to wait a little for the funds to come up so I can take the plunge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:48 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

It is not that daunting at all.

Actually just a series of steps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:04 am 
Longtime Regular

Pinnacle wrote:
It is not that daunting at all.

Actually just a series of steps.

That, if not followed properly, could cause you serious injury :lol:

Just pay attention, take your time, and follow the steps one by one.

I think it's nice to use a plain old single stage press for your first time or two and complete each operation as a batch. 1. Decap and size 100 rounds 2. Prime 100 rounds 3. etc.

Then move on to something more efficient once you get the basics in your head.

I'm also a newb though, so YRMV.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:20 am 

Actual diffrences between the Dillion RL 550b and the XL 650. If you go the cheaper route do you miss out on the full speed and automatic process of the 650. Or can you purchase things that will speed it up " add on's" to hotrod the 550??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:43 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

There are more advantages to the 650 than meet the eye - there is an additional station that allows for a final operation of a factory crimp or a powder check station or both.

You can go as slow or as fast with the 650 as you please. I happen to like the 650 - caliber conversions are about the same price....

some people like the manual indexing of the 550 - thats fine but a progressive press should be used as a progressive press. IMHO.

Once you get used to a 650 - you can make it sing and load all day long.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 7:44 am 

tomcat114 wrote:
Actual diffrences between the Dillion RL 550b and the XL 650. If you go the cheaper route do you miss out on the full speed and automatic process of the 650. Or can you purchase things that will speed it up " add on's" to hotrod the 550??

Prices are appx and may vary by location auto case feed for the 650-$175
Case feed for the 550-$275 if the case feed is added on to the initial cost of both the 650 is appx the same price as the 550. The case feed is IMHO the only way to go and can increase production by 25% or more. Drop on average 200-300 cases in the feeder and start pulling the handle versus stopping every 15-20 rds to put more brass in the feeder tube.
I use 3-650s with auto shell feed set up for various calibers( I hate doing caliber conversions)
Edited to add I also have my original Rockchucker that I load some oddball rifle that I only shoot 50-100rds a year

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.