Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dillon question. 
 Post subject: Dillon question.
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 2:11 am 

Besides the auto indexing on the 650 on the 550 I understand first spot is the deprimer and prime it second slot is for powder third is for the bullet placement and the fourth spot for crimping. What would the fifth spot be used for??

Post subject: Dillon
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:44 am 

Your right for the 550 (b) the Tool-Head only has 4 stations... Primer, Powder, Bullet, and Crimp. On the 650 it has 5 stations.. #3 would be used for a powder check.... #1 Primer, #2 Powder, #3 Powder Check, #4 Bullet, #5 Crimp. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

BB Guns is right. Plus you can get the auto case feed. A real big help when loading a bunch.

I never regretted spending the extra $100 for the 650. I later added the electric casefeed, powder check and seperate crimp station.

Without the case feed you are always stopping to load cases (25 to 30 pistol, or 10 to 15 rifle) in the feed tube. Way too slow compared to the speed the press is able to load.

I added the powder check to reduce the possibility of squibs or double charges. I'm an IDPA SO and USPSA CRO and have stopped many shooters that had squibs. A shooter on my squad just last Thursday at Oakdale had one. A very experienced shooter / re-loader. I have loaded 2 myself that I remember (before the powder check). At the speeds IDPA & USPSA shoot these are dangerous. No matter how careful you say you are, loading 10,000 to 15,000 rounds a year mistakes can be made.

I also use a Lee "Factory Crimp" die in the last station. It makes a better crimp on cases when the lengths vary a little. I don't trim pistol cases to control the case length. If the bullet seating station is used to seat and crimp the round, the crimp is very dependent on the case length. I higly recommend the Lee "Factory Crimp" die for all rounds. Costs about $20 or less.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 8:28 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

Stage 1 is size and deprime - stage 2 is prime and charge. Third is check or seat - 4 is crimp I believe on the 550

Post subject: Dillon
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:43 am 

Dan...

Do you have ANY problems with the auto case feeder??? Is Leo useing the 650's?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.