Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Best Equipment to Buy 
 Post subject: Best Equipment to Buy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:15 pm 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I have had a couple of calls and questions about the best equipment to have for reloading.

I will try to sort that out for you in this post as best as I can but remember - what works for me - might not be the best fit for you.

By Brand:

RCBS

The "Green Stuff" has been around a long time and has worked well for me for well over 20 years. I would have to tell you that there more people reloading on RCBS equipment than anything else - that is just a guess - over the years they have put out some really reliable machines but one comes to mind that is likely the best by sales numbers - The Rock Chucker single stage press.

One would be hard pressed to get anything better than that for most all general reloading chores.... Rock Chucker - simple as a rock - as effective as a hammer - the glock of reloading machines... Cast Iron Frame - very concentric - plenty of leverage... A+

the Uniflow Powder Measure is A+ - easy to use - works well - been around for a while - every bench should have one parked next to the rock chucker.

Any RCBS Scale should be fine as well.

RCBS also makes more dies than anyone as far as I know - They come in all sorts of flavors - competition - X Dies - Trim Dies - all sorts of dies... - I have about 10 sets of them - are they the best - I dont know - they are very good but they have a couple of downfalls.. decapping pins are lost or break easily and I do not really care for the crimp that the seating dies place on most ammunition. I do not care for the lock rings either with the allen screws... Pesky.... Will they work - YUP - are the solid? YUP How do I rate them - about a B+

RCBS hand Priming tool A+++++++++++++++++++++

Redding

The OTHER "Green Stuff" - Redding is a NY based company that makes really premium stuff - very similar to RCBS but they are really a cadillac product and the pricing really reflects that quality...

They make very similar things to RCBS - presses and powder measures are very similar - Redding is a little more refined - more expensive - but is it worth it? I dont know - if you are looing for something unique or for some oddball caliber die sets - they make em.. They will cost ya - but you can have anything that you can afford I suppose.

LEE

Ahhhh. Good Old Lee Precision....

Bargain stuff - some of it is OK some of it is not... The Classis Cast Press is A+ and a Bargain at $65.... Their AL Framed presses are just about a C rating - remember that theya re AL - not as druable as Cast Iron and do not hold concentricity as well as a Cast press.

Dies - OUTSTANDING DIES - the Carbide Factory Taper Crimp Dies are A++++++++++++++++++++++

Factory Crimp rifle dies - A++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For bolt action accuracy freaks - the Collet rifle Dies are A+++++

Pistol Dies are FANTASTIC - decapper is UNBREAKABLE...

Rifle Dies are just great and the best part is that none of the LEE stuff is too costly - a better value than you should get for the $$$$ as far as dies go.

Powder measures use a wiper - not my speed.... D

LYMAN

The ORANGE STUFF - similar stuff to RCBS - some clever tools and trimmers - overall rating is a good Solid B Presses are similar to RCBS.

The #55 measure is kind of neat - I used to have one - worked well - lots of adjustment - shallow depth easy to see volume measure... A

Lyman M Dies - COOL GADGETS - expands the mouths of pistol or rifle cases for flat base or lead bullets. Good gadget..

Case trimmer and Neck Turners - Good tools SOLID A

DILLON

The Blue Monsters.... Ummmmm - from small to large volume Dillon has a progressive machine for you. Warranty is Great..... machines are reliable - allbeit a little complicated AT FIRST... Easy to learn reasonable cost to get into... A good line of stuff....

Caliber conversions can be spendy...... Dies and Conversion kits can get really expensive...

Whatever you buy - remember you are making an investment that should last a LOOOOOONG time....

There is some good stuff..... and there no real bad stuff out there. With reloading - you often get what you pay for - there are some bargains to be had - Used Stuff is never a bad way to cut costs and get good stuff...

I used to cruise garage sales for bargains - there were some.... But since Ebay started bargains are fewer....

Remember a Rock Chucker is FOREVER.... Good Dies are FOREVER.. A good SCALE is forever....

I cannot cover everything but this is a start...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

I agree with Pinnacle on all his comments of reloading equipment.

Additions.

I like the small Lee die cast press for my 22 Hornet and developing loads for pistol calibers (9,32,38,40,45). It works fine for me for these small calibers and is quick and easy to use. Can be taken to the range if needed. I also recommend the Lee "Factory Crimp" die.

I load the larger quantities of ammo on a Dillon 650. I can think of nothing better for large amounts of ammo. (I usually load 5,000 to 10,000 rounds over several days when I get low on a caliber.) Loading primers in the tubes is the only complaint, but I just do it while watching TV to use at my next loading session. I load about 10 tubes, 1000 primers, and that is what I load the next day. I try not to load over 1,000 or 2,000 rounds a night, I get tired and start to make mistakes. I use a powder check on my Dillon to check for squib or double charges. I have loaded a couple squib loads before I started using the powder check. None since. Remember, I load 10,000 to 20,000 of 45 ACP alone a year plus smaller amounts of 9,40,32,38 plus my favorite 22 Hornet.

For a single stage press, I use a Herters "O" frame press. Large, heavy, rigid but it works fine. I have used it for at least 35 years. It still works fine. Hasn't been made for 20 years. A good press will not wear out.

I am not a fan of digital powder scales. Just not accurate enough for pistol calibers. I like the beam scales the best and the have the best one I know of, the RCBS 10-10. Not cheap, but good. Will last forever. The smaller beam and digital scales would be OK for rifle calibers or weighing bullets. These are just not accurate enough for me for small pistol calibers where you may be measuring 2 ot 3 grains.

I use carbide dies for the Dillon press due to the large amounts loaded. You do not need to lube the cases for carbide dies. Steel dies are fine for the single stage press. I don't really have a brand preference, but mainly have RCBS dies.

Get yourself a digital or dial caliper. I like Hornady reloading books. All powder manufacturers list loads for various bullets.

Have fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:52 pm 

Fun it is....

I have never had to change the batteries in my beam balance scale ... I like that part...

Good Calipers are a good addition - well - a must...

Herters Press - Reniasance man..... I love it...

I used to have a Pacific O Press.... Now there is a throwback - how about my Lyman All american? Which is for sale....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:44 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

Single Stage and Turret Presses
SS=RCBS Rockchucker Supreme
Turret=Redding 7

Progressive Presses
Dillon 550 hands down the most versatile of the Dillon's

Dies
Redding by far hands down for press mounted dies! Wislon for

Scales
Most mechanical scales are made by Ohaus

Powder Measures
RCBS Uniflow is good
Redding BR-30 is better
Harrell is the best!

Case Trimmers
Possum Hollow a good entry level one!
Wilson lathe type is is the best
Giruad is the best powered trimmer hands down!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:29 am 
Forum Moderator

westhope wrote:
I am not a fan of digital powder scales. Just not accurate enough for pistol calibers. I like the beam scales the best and the have the best one I know of, the RCBS 10-10. Not cheap, but good. Will last forever. The smaller beam and digital scales would be OK for rifle calibers or weighing bullets. These are just not accurate enough for me for small pistol calibers where you may be measuring 2 ot 3 grains.

I've only ever used an eletcronic digital scale (Dillon D-Terminator) and have never had a probem with accuracy, including loading for .32 ACP with charges down to 2.8 grains.

What makes you say that they are not accurate enough? Midway alone lists nearly a dozen electronic scales, and nearly every reloading manufacturer sells at least one electronic scale, and while the resolution may leave something to be deisred (.01gr would be better), I've never heard them claimed to be for "large" loads (eg, 10gr or more) only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:21 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

Well, you get what you pay for with scales. Most are in need of a warm up period of 30 minutes or better. They are subject to drafts in the room, and they can be affected by 60cycle interference, too. One must always have a mechanical scale to verify the accuracy of an electronic scale. The top of the line Denver Instruments scale http://www.denverinstrumentusa.com/balances/MAXX.php is the best your can buy with a high degree of confidence. So many people that have very little experience with reloading think they are right, and in fact they only know a very little. They just have do not possess a high degree of practical experience. Hence, they make across the board statements to be accepted as fact.
mobocracy wrote:
westhope wrote:

I've only ever used an eletcronic digital scale (Dillon D-Terminator) and have never had a probem with accuracy, including loading for .32 ACP with charges down to 2.8 grains.

What makes you say that they are not accurate enough? Midway alone lists nearly a dozen electronic scales, and nearly every reloading manufacturer sells at least one electronic scale, and while the resolution may leave something to be deisred (.01gr would be better), I've never heard them claimed to be for "large" loads (eg, 10gr or more) only.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 7:58 pm 

I like beam scales

Plenty accurate for reloading and - well as reliable as a hammer....

And the best thing - I dont have to change the batteries on my Ohaus....

So there.... Take that... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:09 am 
Forum Moderator

mnhome wrote:
Hence, they make across the board statements to be accepted as fact.

You mean an across the board statement like "electronic scales aren't accurate"?

Maybe you should spend more time accepting the facts as facts -- Midway sells nearly a dozen electronic scales, and nearly every reloading component company sells one. Brian Enos, a respected authority on shooting and reloading, recommends them over balance beams for those with the money. John Walton sells them. Thousands of people own them and use them without any accuracy problems.

Either all these companies are selling junk and involved in massive coverup/conspiracy, or labeling electronic scales as inaccurate is, to put it plainly, bullshit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:26 am 

mobocracy wrote:
mnhome wrote:
Hence, they make across the board statements to be accepted as fact.

You mean an across the board statement like "electronic scales aren't accurate"?

Maybe you should spend more time accepting the facts as facts -- Midway sells nearly a dozen electronic scales, and nearly every reloading component company sells one. Brian Enos, a respected authority on shooting and reloading, recommends them over balance beams for those with the money. John Walton sells them. Thousands of people own them and use them without any accuracy problems.

Either all these companies are selling junk and involved in massive coverup/conspiracy, or labeling electronic scales as inaccurate is, to put it plainly, bullshit.

I hope that was not directed at me?

I stated that I like beam scales for a couple of reasons - firstly - reliability - thye are great and perform perfectly well for a LONG time....

Secondly - Economy - you can buy a hell of a beam scale for not a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$ that you will have for the rest of your days - without something traumatic happening. Like knocking it off of the bench and breaking the agate bearings...

If you want to buy a digital scale - I would say that they are accurate - and worth the $$$ if you want that convienence - I just happen to think that for someone starting out a beam scale would work equally as well just for simplicity sake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:44 am 
Forum Moderator

Pinnacle wrote:

No, it was directed at the original poster I quoted in the message.

The whole thing started with another poster claiming electronic scales aren't accurate, a claim which I dispute from experience and from the widely available facts -- they're sold, used and recommended by experienced reloaders and reloading equipment makers, as well as being popular. If they were inaccurate, nobody would sell them -- the liability from a faulty scale would run into the millions (when that top strap chunk flies into an eye, say) and word of mouth would condemn them.

I never said they were perfect -- they need calibration, an outlet or batteries, they can break (as in fall) or quit working. But they are accurate and extremely easy to use, both from a making-it-work perspective and from a convenience perspective.

But since my experience doesn't count somehow (do I need to join mnhome's club and get the secret decoder ring first?), I guess I'll let all the cranky old farts play with their single stage presses and their balance beams, and spend my time SHOOTING, since I don't need to spend it with loading blocks and swapping dies out of my single-stage press.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:21 am 

mobocracy wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:

The whole thing started with another poster claiming electronic scales aren't accurate, a claim which I dispute from experience and from the widely available facts -- they're sold, used and recommended by experienced reloaders and reloading equipment makers, as well as being popular. If they were inaccurate, nobody would sell them -- the liability from a faulty scale would run into the millions (when that top strap chunk flies into an eye, say) and word of mouth would condemn them.

I never said they were perfect -- they need calibration, an outlet or batteries, they can break (as in fall) or quit working. But they are accurate and extremely easy to use, both from a making-it-work perspective and from a convenience perspective.

But since my experience doesn't count somehow (do I need to join mnhome's club and get the secret decoder ring first?), I guess I'll let all the cranky old farts play with their single stage presses and their balance beams, and spend my time SHOOTING, since I don't need to spend it with loading blocks and swapping dies out of my single-stage press.

Digital scales are plenty accurate.....

I load quantities of ammo on the 650 - A beam scale is not quite as fast for measuring stuff as a digital...

I have always found my beam to be plenty accurate... And plenty fast for measuring stuff.

The ADVANTAGE of digital is taking a tare wt (and measuring difference in a lot of things on the scale via a re-zero)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:21 pm 
"Deceptive Edge" Weasel

A good mechanical scale is great resource and a back up to any electronic scale. I do not care how many scales Midway sells! Most are cheap, and they collectively are subject to too many variables.

That said I have had plenty of middle range scales

#1 RCBS Micro it went back to RCBS for replacement.
#2 Lyman 1200 DPS it had too much drift
#3 RCBS 1500 Chargemaster and it has been back and replaced,too.

I use the chargemaster to get close and then trickle into the pan of the mechanical scale for the utmost in accuracy!

You get what you pay for, and I have seen remarks by some here that indicate they do not have the much over all experience with reloading. Dumping out pistol rounds from a 650 does require accuracy, where as working up precision rifle loads does require bit more in my experience.
I have seen the Dillon Electronic scale in use, and it like the rest is subject to just as many problems as the others.

The Cat's Meow for reloader would be the DI MXX123 scale! That gets you laboratory grade equipment. Just as Ohaus makes scales for the same application!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mobocracy wrote:

Quote:
labeling electronic scales as inaccurate is, to put it plainly, bullshit.

and

Quote:

westhope (me) wrote

Quote:
These are just not accurate enough for me for small pistol calibers where you may be measuring 2 ot 3 grains.

So you (mobocracy) must be directing that personal attack me: westhope

I have the same electronic scale as you (mobocracy) the Dillon D-Terminator. The graduations on it are 0.1 grain. I find that at the zero reading and the reading when weighing the charge, the tenths digit may fluctuate while measuring a charge. This includes using the breeze and static electricity shield. This concerns me when weighing charges in the 2 to 3 grain range as I stated. It does not concern me at the higher charges. If I repeat weighing the same charge over and over, I get a fluctuation of this tenths digit between weighing the same charge.

With my RCBS 10-10 beam scale it repeats every time at these small charges. The pointer at the end of the beam always aligns with the balance point on the scale when re-weighing the same charge.

I still stand by what I said concerning the beam scale being more accurate at these small measurements. I just don’t trust the electronic scale when I know the tenths digit may fluctuate and I’m trying to measure small charges.

I also load for a 32 ACP. What guns do you have in that caliber? I have a thing for the small pocket guns that use the 32 ACP. I have a Seacamp, North American Arms Guardian and Keltec all in 32 ACP. I do not have an Augusta but have been looking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

[moderator hat]
Quote:
So you (mobocracy) must be directing that personal attack me: westhope

Nope. That's rather impolite disagreement, but not a personal attack.

"You're wrong" is not a personal attack.

"You're stupid" is.

If anyone has any other questions as to where the line is, they can take it up privately with me, Joel or any of the mods, or publicly on the Questions About This Forum section.

[/moderator hat]

We now return you to your regularly scheduled religious argument. Stay tuned later for the "9mm vs. 45" argument, followed by "Glock vs. 1911." :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911 mostly 45 ACP (one 1911 9mm also one Colt 1911 22 rimfire) One Glock (40 S&W to shoot the Glock matches)

Enough religious arguments.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.