Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 case trimmer input 
 Post subject: case trimmer input
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:52 pm 

I have never owned a case trimmer and have a considerable amount of brass that needs trimming. Any pros and cons from your experiences about any of the makes and models available would be appreciated.
j in J - pp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:05 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I like my Lyman - it is fast and seems accurate enough. Easy to set up - get the power cutter attachement if you go this route. It will save your cranking hand..

Major problems can happen fast without proper trimming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

I've got a Lyman too. I've also used a Forrester. The problem with the Forrester is the pilots can be hard to find.

Some trimmers require you to buy special shell holders that can only be used with the trimmer. Others use a collet or chuck or universal holder, a clear advantage.

This is definitely an item to go see John at the Gunstop about.

The power trimmers are sweet. I've watched one used. But, I have assistants to turn the manual crank for me.

Much depends on how much you shoot.

Don't forget de-burring and chamfering tools too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Lyman Trimmer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:27 am 
First-time poster

One more vote for Lyman trimmer. I used to do lot of my reloading with a fellow who had one. At the time I was using an RCBS. Closest sporting goods store with components was/is 110 miles away. And it was not uncommon to not have the correct shellholder. The Lyman "collet" is nice, mine came with a bunch of pilots, and all the examples I have seen appear to be well constructed, plus they are about average price when compared to the other brands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

And welcome to Pastor Paul!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:36 pm 

I trimmed 1000 .223 on an RCBS case trimmer once and wouldn’t wish it on anybody. I guess I still use it to square up small lots, but life’s too short to use anything but a taper crimp die. <smile>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:09 am 

Thanks for all the input. I am glad to be a part of this forum. I refer to it almost every day, although I am not one who contributes many messages. I and my wife will be attending the CCW class led by Paul and Bill at BGR tommorrow. Hopefully I shall be blessed to attend one of the monthly breakfasts. I believe we share a common interest for the common good.
j in J - pp

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.