Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:31 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Considering Starting to reload.... 
 Post subject: Considering Starting to reload....
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

I've always considered reloading as a lot of time spent tinkering (hobby)for not a lot of return unless you are shooting 10k rounds, or are looking for sub MOA out of your hunting rifle rounds, or need something to occupy your time. But with the cost of ammo going up to the point it has been, I'm starting to reevaluate.

Since I've not saved brass, If I purchase all the components is it cost effective to load your own new brass? I'm thinking of starting with .223 and loading 3 - 5k as a rainy day cache, and then moving onto 12 gauge (buckshot) (again all new components) but only around 1k cache and finally some 40 cal rounds. Yes, I realize this may entail 3 different pressess.

I'm considering starting to compete in IDPA, and possibly 3 gun events, but with the cost of ammo now, it's seeming that I won't be competing much.

Thanks

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:16 am 
Longtime Regular

As I have it figured,

A box of 9mm is somewhere around $4.17 a box for 115 FMJ. Compared to $9 for plinking WWB or something equal.

My .308 is Costing around $10.78 a box vs Fed GMM at $31 per box.

This is figuring the cost of a Dillon 550 press into it also at around $450.

I have been trying to figure this out for some time now how to actually get started.

I started to shoot with a gentleman last year and this spring he invited me to come over and work in his reloading room.

Set-up with a RockChucker and a Dillon 550. For .45, 9mm, .223 and .308.

So now I get to try as I learn and see what I really think about things without a huge initial investment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:22 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
As I have it figured,

A box of 9mm is somewhere around $4.17 a box for 115 FMJ. Compared to $9 for plinking WWB or something equal.

Is this with new brass or recycled (not purchased)?

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:44 am 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
farmerj wrote:
As I have it figured,

Is this with new brass or recycled (not purchased)?

Mostly-

I have been saving my brass for the pistol.

For the rifle, until I have figured out how to anneal the brass, I am figuring 5 reloads.

At a cost of $80/ 1000 for brass, that adds like 32 cents per box. So it would actually be around $11.09 a box.

New brass is actually quite a bit higher. It would add about $1 per box into the cost.

I run an M14, so I hope to try to stick with surplus brass when I can get a hold of it.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.