Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nosler 180 gr ballistic tip 
 Post subject: Nosler 180 gr ballistic tip
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:40 pm 

Does anyone have a Nosler load book that they could look up the C.O.L for the 8mm Mauser 180 gr ballistic tip? (bullet # 32180)
I've been fiddling around building dummy rounds for the last 3 hours and I seem to be either jamming the bullet into the rifling or seating them to a depth that looks way too deep. :?
The one source that I have says 3.020-- and the numbers I've been crunching, using a few measurements, are telling me that 3.209 would be max in my rifle using this bullet(yugo M48), assuming my measurements are correct. Even going .030 deeper gives me a col of 3.179, but even that shows rifling marks on the Dummy and a bit of resistance closing the bolt.
I was hoping someone with a Nosler book could fill me in as to the correct col for this bullet before I kill myself with a calculator and ruin a perfectly good rifle in the process. :oops:
BTW: this is my first box of BTs as I usually am a Hornady guy. Hence the absence of a Nosler book on my shelf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:59 pm 

Well, I got bad news and maybe worse news, and it comes from the Nosler 5th Edition Handbook. The maximum COL for the 8x57mm JS Mauser is 3.250". It goes on to note, however, that there are TWO versions of the 8x57mm Mauser cartridge. The earlier version, which is the 8x57mm (J), is designed for .318" diameter bullets rather than .323" diameter bullets. The newer 8x57mm (JS) is designed to be used with the .323" bullets. If you have a .318" bore on an older Mauser, that might explain why you can't seat .323" bullets in the case to the proper COL. Regardless of your seating depth, if you fire a .323" bullet in a .318" bore, you're fucked one way or another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:42 pm 
On time out

a Yugo M48 should be the JS style, as the J style was pretty much was tied to the 1888 pre 98 action mausers.

It very well may be that Nosler designed the bullet for the extremely long free bore or leade that many military rifle came with as the way to get both the older long round nose and the newer spitzer shaped ammo to work.

Seeing you are having this problem, the first thing is to closely examine the chamber and the bore, making sure you are very clean there and not fouled or corroded up there. If you are clean, take a generic bullet and loosely seat it backwards in the case, and then chamber that round. The heel of the bullet will not go past the lands and as you close the action will give you an accurate dimension on the length of freebore between the chamber and the lands. Take that cartridge out and figure the depth that you can seat the bullets from that.

Remember that if you are seating a bullet more than a tenth of an inch shorter than listed COAL, you need to drop powder by 5% until you find out how that works. The reason for this is you are raising the compression ratio by seating the bullet deeper and you can get over pressure if you are not careful.

I would predict that you probably have a dirty chamber, and that a vigorous scrubbing of the chamber will reduce this problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Can you close the bolt on an unloaded piece of brass?

You might have stretched the case some and need to bump the shoulder back a smidge.

Check this: Bottleneck Case Sizing: What The Die Instructions Don't Tell You

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.