Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 I know there are no stupid questions...but: Modify Bullets 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Good points Sam,

Sounds like pretty serious stuff you majored in at school!

Mainly this was a hypothetical question, not so much directed at actually doing it, but just to see if a guy could do it and be successful.

Personally I don't have the knowledge, equipment, or desire to shove something down the chamber that I have tampered with and hope for the best. I just wondered if it could be done with good results and with no real consequences.

Sounds like in general its not a great idea, which is good enough for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 am 

While thinking of crazy things that have been done to factory ammo I just remembered the shooting of President Reagan.

Didn't John Hinckley Jr. put something in the hollow point bullets? IIRC it was supposed to poison the President if the wounds didn't kill him.

As a 12 year old I remember thinking it was a bad idea but now I am curious to know what it was. He probably just messed up the mushrooming effect of the bullet.

Anyone remember this part of the shooting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:59 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
It was loaded with six "Devastator"-brand .22LR cartridges which contained small lead azide explosive charges

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reagan_ass ... on_attempt

It always astounds me how many assassination attempts have been made with very small caliber guns.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:01 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

It always astounds me how many assassination attempts have been made with very small caliber guns.

Sort of like saying, "I want to kill you, but as gently as possible."

Further, if that is what happened, this guy is a horrible shot. He sprayed 6 shots all over the place (hit the wrong people), just imagine the spray and pray if he'd have been shooting something with some recoil.

His super bullets didn't have much effect after all, turns out marksmanship is more important than what you shoot, but then I'm preaching to the choir.

Last edited by EJSG19 on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

I seem to remember some movie or such where a perp made his own hollow points by drilling, then put a drop of mercury in the pit, and soldered it over. guess it could work. Poison the target, anyway, if the bullet didn't kill it first.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:23 am 

small caliber and a revolver!

Another detail I had forgotten. He fired 6 shots in 3 seconds by the reports, but IIRC it was much faster that 3 seconds. Amazing how that one (crazed) man changed security forever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:27 am 
Longtime Regular

IIRC, the revolver held 8 rounds ...

Quote:
More recently, analysis of audio recordings of the shootings taken by freelance reporter Stanislaw Pruszynski appear, according to forensic expert Philip van Praag, to indicate that thirteen shots were fired, even though Sirhan's gun held only eight rounds.[49] While this would strongly indicate a second gunman, further independent analysis by a series of other experts indicates that there are only eight shots present on the tape.[53]

source: wikipedia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:34 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
I seem to remember some movie or such where a perp made his own hollow points by drilling, then put a drop of mercury in the pit, and soldered it over. guess it could work. Poison the target, anyway, if the bullet didn't kill it first.
The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:37 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
IIRC, the revolver held 8 rounds ...

Sirhan Sirhan killed Bobby Kennedy with an 8-shot 22 revolver.
John Hinckley Jr. shot Reagan with a 6-shot 22 revolver.

ETA: The maker of Sirhan's revolver, Iver-Johnson, also made the revolver that killed President William McKinley. It was a .32.

(and now that I have gotten myself on every gov't watchlist I'll shut up.)

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Ah ... I had forgotten that. I JUST read the RFK link yesterday and it was fresh in my mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:29 am 
On time out

hey now, remember that "Squeaky" Fromme tried to do in President Gerry Ford with a .45 ACP. she was a tiny thing, (alas the squeaky like a mouse) and nearly pulled it off.

Sara jane Moore who tried just a few days later, had carried a .44 mag to with a few feet of the President a few days before, but was then interviewed and had her pistol confiscated by the secret service one day before she was finally able to get to where she had a shot, and there used a .38 to get one shot off. As she drew her pistol, she bumped a by stander who when he saw the gun dove for her hand and manage to get the gun to discharge into the ground as he tackled her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:51 pm 

Tex wrote:

Didn't John Hinckley Jr. put something in the hollow point bullets? IIRC it was supposed to poison the President if the wounds didn't kill him.

As a 12 year old I remember thinking it was a bad idea but now I am curious to know what it was. He probably just messed up the mushrooming effect of the bullet.

Anyone remember this part of the shooting?

Supposedly Hinckly used "Devastator" bullets, designed to explode (not mushroom) inside their target.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... ullets.htm
http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__20/Devas ... ition.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

As long as we have drifted this far,Mark Chapman killed John Lennon with a snub nose 38 caliber revolver.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

"Squeaky" Fromme had a .45 auto with a full magazine but she didn't realize you needed one in the chamber in order to fire. That was her downfall, she raised and pointed the gun but of course it didn't fire and then she was tackled. I remember reading about that incident in the paper and thought it was a good thing she had no firearms training.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ramoel wrote:
"Squeaky" Fromme had a .45 auto with a full magazine but she didn't realize you needed one in the chamber in order to fire. That was her downfall, she raised and pointed the gun but of course it didn't fire and then she was tackled. I remember reading about that incident in the paper and thought it was a good thing she had no firearms training.

Though I've read that she claimed to have intentionally ejected the chambered round at home before she left, in order to leave the chamber empty. Investigators found a stray round in her bathroom. Her behavior since seems to indicate that she wants to be in prison.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.