Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shiny ejector mark even on factory loads 
 Post subject: Shiny ejector mark even on factory loads
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:44 pm 
Journeyman Member

I just finished shooting my new Savage 10FCP and noticed that I have a shiny ejector mark on the headstamp of some of my brass. Handloads and factory Federal Gold Match.
To make a long story longer, I started my session with 5 rounds of the GMM, then proceeded with my handloads from lightest to heaviest charges, 5 rounds each, relpacing the fired brass exactly where it was removed from my ammo boxes. Then I started over, GMM first.......
The first sets of 5 mostly don't show any marks on the headstamp, but the 2nd set definatly does, even on the factory loaded rounds.
I'm fairly new to this and a bit paranoid something is wrong with my new rifle. The only thing I can tell you is that although I did a pretty good job of cleaning the bore throughout my session, I did fail to ever clean the bolt face. If that has anything to do with it or not, I don't know, thats why I'm here.
Any more experienced opinions than mine would sure be appreciated.

Thanks for any input

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

What caliber? .308?

Got any pictures?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

So are you thinking the brass is flowing into the ejector hole, as in overpressures? Seems unlikely in the scenarios you described.

How difficult does the case eject? Does it snap out easily or do you have to pull the bolt back forcefully?

Try pulling the bolt back part way and lifting the brass out by hand and check for any marks.

Does the extractor snap easily over a single cartridge when loaded into the chamber?

Yes, a photo would help a great deal.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Last edited by KonaSeven on Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:48 pm 
Journeyman Member

DeanC wrote:
What caliber? .308?

Got any pictures?

Yep, .308
Not sure if it's relevent or a separate issue or no issue at all, but after looking closely at the fired cases, there are three or four scratches right at the junction between the shoulder and the body. Maybe a couple thousandths deep and wide and .020 long. Can barely feel them with the pad of my finger, but definitaly feel them with a fingernail. And only on fired cases, not just chambered and ejected.
Is this a problem?

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj15 ... jector.jpg

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj15 ... atches.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:26 am 
1911 tainted

Had a similar problem with a Remington 700 heavy barrel in .223.

A rough spot in the chamber, the fired case is sticking there. When you lift the bolt handle, the bolt face or elector leaves a mark because the brass doesn't turn with the bolt face, it is stuck to the rough spot. Now as the bolt hand is lifted, the case does come loose and ejects normally.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:01 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm no expert, but the primer does look a *little* flat to me. Anybody else think so?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:18 am 
Journeyman Member

Ok, I called Savage and they want me to take it to a local gunsmith to have the headspace checked.
Can anyone recommend a good on in the North Metro area or around St. Louis Park?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:20 am 
Longtime Regular

I think Cobb is onto the problem. The scratches shown are not "typical". A few seconds of chamber polishing should fix that right up.
The primers actually look normal for a .308, especially with Federal primers. They are softer than Win or CCI.

ETA: Was the brass shown a hanload or factory?

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:34 am 
Journeyman Member

KonaSeven wrote:
I think Cobb is onto the problem. The scratches shown are not "typical". A few seconds of chamber polishing should fix that right up.
The primers actually look normal for a .308, especially with Federal primers. They are softer than Win or CCI.

ETA: Was the brass shown a hanload or factory?

Factory round, but my Nosler brass reloads look the same.
Its weird, cause the ejector mark thing appeared over the course of 80 rounds or so. The first rounds shot do not have the spot on the head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:45 am 
Longtime Regular

That sounds like crud in the chamber in that case. Barring something hard entering the chamber to scratch or nick it, some grit of some sort may have gotten on the brass and became embedded in the chamber.

Having the headspace checked is never a bad idea. Maybe you have already, but give the chamber a could scrubbing with a good cleaner and a bronze chamber brush and see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:57 am 
Journeyman Member

KonaSeven wrote:
That sounds like crud in the chamber in that case. Barring something hard entering the chamber to scratch or nick it, some grit of some sort may have gotten on the brass and became embedded in the chamber.

Having the headspace checked is never a bad idea. Maybe you have already, but give the chamber a could scrubbing with a good cleaner and a bronze chamber brush and see what happens.

I'll try it.
Can the chamber be polished by someone if I can't clean it out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Yes. Depending on what method the 'smith would use, it will require different levels of disassembly.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:31 am 
Journeyman Member

Looking back, some things are adding up here. My groups would range from 1/2 5 shot groups to 2 1/2". I chalked it up to the shooter.
While cleaning the copper fouling out the other night, I noticed that the scope was leaning noticably to the right when viewed from the butt end of the rifle. I thought to myself what a lousy job they did mounting the scope. Tried to move it by hand but would not move, so I remounted it.
Now I wonder if the barrel is backing out, causing the scope to lean and a headspace problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Wow that would definitely cause your groups to open up! :)
It can potentially be dangerous if the headspace were to open up. ETA: I see you mentioned that the scope was tight.
Seeing as you have a Savage, just pull the stock off and check the barrel locking nut. It should be quite tight. You should not be able to move it by hand or even with a wrench very easily.

Last edited by KonaSeven on Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:41 am 
1911 tainted

crshooter wrote:
Now I wonder if the barrel is backing out, causing the scope to lean and a headspace problem.

Maybe backing out, but I kinda doubt it. Besides, the scope is mounted to the receiver, not the barrel, so the barrel turning would not cant the scope.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.