Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Rem 870 wingmaster 
 Post subject: Rem 870 wingmaster
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have heard from a few people that I can fire sabot slugs through my 870 with either the imp or mod choke tubes in with no damage to the gun.
Is that correct?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:22 pm 
Journeyman Member

I dont see it hurting the gun but you need a rifled barrel to get any accuracy with sabots.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

old guy wrote:
I dont see it hurting the gun but you need a rifled barrel to get any accuracy with sabots.

John

Yep. I agree with Old Guy.

Unless you are somehow limited to Sabots only, what would be the point of firing a sabot down a smoothbore barrel? (Do explain if you care to, interested!) Sabots are designed for rifled barrels. Accuracy wouldn't be much different than using rifled slugs if any better at all. I'd bet it would be worse.

For rifled slugs it is a Cylinder Choke tube that you are supposed to use, if you have one.

Your tapered sabot out of a smoothbore barrel won't be flying pretty in my opinion. With no spin it won't be stabilized in flight.

If you know something I don't fill us in. Happy hunting, be safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

I actually know very little about this subject. I've only used my dad's Springfield 30.06 in the past, but now he is using it. I was looking for the cheapest alternative, because I've have been spending a little to much on firearms and ammo lately. I was trying to track down a rifled choke tube, with no luck. Found some barrels ranging from $130 to $300, but someone mentioned I could fire the sabot slugs through any choke tube except full with no problems. As I said I know very little on this subject, as my 870 has been strickly a bird gun up till now. So any advice on what would be effective with the gun the way it sits would be great. Otherwise if firing the sabot slugs, sounds like I should have a rifled barrel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Your smoothbore will be dead on accurate to 75 yards with 2 3/4 Foster type slugs. ( 3 inch is not as accurate and is slower velocity.) And you'll get a better entry hole and in my opinion, a deadlier wound with the than with sabots.

If you get a rifled barrel, the Foster slug won't be accurate, you'll have to use Sabots. If you scope it, you spend $25 a year on ammo just checking your sights.

I've got all kinds of equipment, but I always hunt with a smooth bore Remington slug barrel with open sights and whatever kind of 2 3/4 Foster slug is on sale. Sabots are not reliable accuracy wise, I always get a few "flyers"when I sight in with sabots; that's not true with Fosters. It stands to reason that plastic sleeves will not be precise, and they are not, in my experience.

The conventional wisdom on slugs today is simply wrong. Go to the range and shoot 50 sabots with a rifled barrel and 50 Fosters at 75 yards. You won't believe what you read after that.

Last edited by Dick Unger on Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

Smooth bore barrel = rifled slugs with a 'cylinder bore' or improved cylinder choke tube installed.

Rifled slug barrel = sabot slugs.

I use Brenneke 'Classic Magnum' Rifled slugs through my Mossberg 500 12 ga. w/ a cylinder bore choke tube.

http://www.brennekeusa.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

moose77 wrote:
I actually know very little about this subject. I've only used my dad's Springfield 30.06 in the past, but now he is using it. I was looking for the cheapest alternative, because I've have been spending a little to much on firearms and ammo lately. I was trying to track down a rifled choke tube, with no luck. Found some barrels ranging from $130 to $300, but someone mentioned I could fire the sabot slugs through any choke tube except full with no problems. As I said I know very little on this subject, as my 870 has been strickly a bird gun up till now. So any advice on what would be effective with the gun the way it sits would be great. Otherwise if firing the sabot slugs, sounds like I should have a rifled barrel.

If you can use a rifle where you hunt, buy a military surplus bolt action if you want cheap. A MosinNagant will shoot accurately farther than you can see, just like the Springfield, and you can get the whole rifle for well under $100. It's cheaper than changing your shotgun and much more effective.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.