Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:23 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Which deer rifle? 
 Post subject: Which deer rifle?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:23 pm 

OK, I know this is a seriously loaded question, but I got to go hunting last weekend and now that I am sorta connected to people with some private land for hunting, I want to get my own gun.

The land is near Shell Lake WI and is fairly wooded. Hunting is a mix of stands and organized drives. Part of me is saying my shotgun with buckshot would be more effective for drives when they come running out, but maybe I just need to get more comfortable with a rifle.

I doubt a shot over 100 yards would happen. I'd say there was a 50/50 split of lever and bolt actions with a handful of semi's mixed in.

So, I'm looking for a new (never had much luck finding a used gun I'm happy with) rifle and scope package for $1k max. I'm going to start watching for deals so I'm ready for next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:08 pm 

I use a left handed bolt action Savage 30.06 model 111 - zeroed in at 200 yards (which is all you really need if you hunt in 'the woods') and absolutely deadly with a 150 grain Remington round and a Simmons scope. Can not imagine using anything else! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

One of the big-boxes (Cabela's or Gander) just advertised a 336 with a scope on it for $299.

I have that same Savage - 'cept I'm right-handed. She's a beauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rifle: Marlin 336C or a Winchester lever action.

Shotgun: Put a rifled slug barrel with rifle sights on your shotgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
Rifle: Marlin 336C or a Winchester lever action.

Shotgun: Put a rifled slug barrel with rifle sights on your shotgun.

The Marlin will take a scope. I've never seen a Winchester with one. Aren't they top-eject (thus no scope)? Also, either Mossberg or Savage is making a lever-action 30-30 now. Something to consider.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:35 pm 

I'm not sure I'm sold on a lever action. With a bolt action, I have the option to shoot prone.

Any comments on a Tikka T3 in 270?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:49 pm 
On time out

you can shoot levers from a prone position, you just roll the rifle to the side a bit, but prone never happens in hunting, unless you are hunting ridgelines i in the west.

Frankly I would suggest against the 06, and suggest something on the 08 case. New powders make the differences miniscule, and the pound or so you save in weight is wonderful.

I am a firm believer in less then more in hunting, and I have found the 6.5 swede, the .250 savage and the 7 x 57 and .257 roberts to be far, far better killers than most other rounds they get compared to. That said, with the current ammo crunches, and several old reliables being dropped by the big box stores, I would go to a .260 rem or a 7-08 in a model 7 rem or something similar. light recoiling, accurate as can be, and yet still very capable of hunting up to moose sized game.

Re the Tikka, first no reason at all today to buy a long action for medium game, its just a wasted extra pound. and Tikka has been bought out by beretta and turned into a bargain line, and some places are refusing to carry them anymore due to shortfalls in quality.

My preferred rifle is a 99 savage, sadly no longer made, but in my mind the best woods and plains rifle ever made. Accurate, easy to carry, rubust, and affordable in the past, they are wonderful. I have two model 7;s that my kids love, and although both have gotten into the esoteric caliber mindset, they have since chosen other guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have several Savages from .22 up to .308 and like them all.

They are inexpensive and you get pretty good build quality and a trigger that is nice right out of the box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Re the Tikka, first no reason at all today to buy a long action for medium game, its just a wasted extra pound.

And beware, I have seen short action Tikka's that were just a long action with a spacer, so you saved nothing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:06 pm 

Location: The capital city of the state where absolutely nothing is allowed.
Here's a suggestion that I'm surprised no one has come up with yet.....

Remington 7600 in .308 (or - if you can find one, 7mm-08).

The 7600 is stone cold reliable. The action is based on their 870 shotgun, which - most reasonable people agree - is the standard bearer for pump actions. The .308 is more than sufficient to take down all but the largest North American game.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:46 pm 

I just went to Cabella's to take a look at some. Unless someone tells me I'm making a terrible mistake, I'm going to go with a Browning X-bolt, synthetic stock, 308, with a Zeiss 3x9 scope.

Now I just need to start finding some deals ........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:09 pm 
On time out

How much $$

browning is a japanese made gun, and its known for changing models fairly often, sometimes leading to parts shortages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm 

I'm going to wait till I find a deal, it goes on sale, there is a club deal, etc.

I'm going to pull the trigger on the scope tonight before my eBay coupon expires. I can't decide between the turkey reticle for $251 and the 'rapid Z' reticle for $267.

The gun will be somewhere around $700 something depending on what kind of deal I can track down between now and next October.

Turkey reticle:

rapid Z reticle:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

hypertech wrote:
I just went to Cabella's to take a look at some. Unless someone tells me I'm making a terrible mistake, I'm going to go with a Browning X-bolt, synthetic stock, 308, with a Zeiss 3x9 scope.

Now I just need to start finding some deals ........

I don't know about the x-bolt but my Dad has a Browning Lever Action (BLR) from Japan that is a POS. The ones made in Belgium are apperently much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

I like that turkey reticule for some reason.

The gun magazines have praised the x-bolt universally, but well, they are gun magazines.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.