Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Prairie Dog Hunting in SoDak - Need Some Tips 
 Post subject: Re: Prairie Dog Hunting in SoDak - Need Some Tips
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

NotCleverEnough wrote:
Quote:
A small trench from water washing away the soil was named "Blood Gulch".

I just have to ask, is that name taken from the multiplayer map from the game Halo?

LOL, yup...actually it was more inspired by the cartoon/animation ("Red vs Blue : The Blood Gulch Chronicles") that is based on that map.

NotCleverEnough wrote:
To stay on topic I will say that having a spotting scope with a range finder will help a lot. We had binoculars and a problem we would run into is that the person looking through the binoculars would jump when the person took the shot. So there was plenty of times where we weren't sure if we hit or where we missed.

The area where we were shooting was flat for miles so it could be hard to tell what the distance was for many of our shots. (I use land marks to guess range.) A rangefinder would have been perfect for us to make the right adjustments. I can't tell you how many times I was a tad in front or a little above those little bastards.

Agreed. The first couple years we walked off ranges and setup up colored wooden posts to denote ranges, because as you mentioned distances can be deceiving out there. Now we use a range finder and just remember that Blood Gulch is 320 yards but Hamburger Hill is 430 yards, and so on.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.