Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:48 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 It's that time of year, what is your favorite recipe ????? 
 Post subject: It's that time of year, what is your favorite recipe ?????
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:46 am 
1911 tainted

With all honesty, I have no favorite recipe that I can recite. If some good ones start being posted, I will check with my wife and find out exactly what her recipe is for grouse/pheasant. All I know it that it is baked in the oven, has peppers, onion, rice and soup, and some other things and I really like it. Maybe I should mention, or you have already figured it out, I don't cook much of anything, I pretty much stay out of my wifes cooking stuff and she stays out of my hunting stuff.

But what do you have as a recipe for grouse, pheasant, or venison that you think others on this forum should maybe try.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:07 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have a good buddy who is way (extremely) into goose hunting. He will bring them home, clean them up (he does a professional job), packages them and places the meat into the freezer.

Intrestingly enough, he hates the taste wild goose. He usually has a freezer full and has offered them up to any of his friends who will take them.

I have another buddy who is a big-time game hunter, who has tried to serve them as a main course and as appetizers at dinner parties, group gatherings and cocktail parties. Unfortunately no one has found them to be especially appetizing. At many parties he has attempted to entice us with many different ways of preparing them, but still nobody really likes them.

If anyone has a "winning" recipe for cooking/preparing wild goose breasts, I would forward it to my friends. Then we could all enjoy his fine hunting skills and actually consume his bounty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

My bro in law did some wild goose on the grill as an hors'deouvres. They were bacon wrapped. Not too bad, but I don't have the recipe right now.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

BigRobT wrote:
My bro in law did some wild goose on the grill as an hors'deouvres. They were bacon wrapped. Not too bad, but I don't have the recipe right now.

That is one he has tried. It probably was the best he offered. but still wasn't well accepted. :cry:

Post subject: Re: It's that time of year, what is your favorite recipe ???
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
But what do you have as a recipe for grouse, pheasant, or venison that you think others on this forum should maybe try.
Well it's not a game recipe, but when you said, 'It's that time of year' here is what I thought of.

Microwave 1 cup of apple juice/cider along with one apple for several minutes (until the apple is fairly well cooked)

Toss apple and juice in the blender with a little cinnamon, brown sugar and vanilla.

Blend. Serve. (Makes one serving)

Maybe add a little whipped cream on top or ice cream. Anti-freeze additives :wink: at your discrestion.

Hot drink that tastes just like apple pie. Drool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

A coworker brought in a few geese to work. We left them in a crock pot for 2 days and they were not as bad as goose usually is.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Takeout.... :oops:

That is all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

We like to make venison jerky. I usually use at least 20 pounds of meat and in those years where there is a lot of meat sometimes 40 pounds or more. After drying the 40 pounds weighs about 10 pounds.

Simple recipe that the family likes, I buy a large amount of good barbecue sauce at Sam's Club, one or two gallons. I use an electrical meat slicer to get nice thin slices and soak it in the sauce for 3-4 days. After that it goes in the dehydrator and then we eat it!

Since I don't use any sodium nitrite or other preservatives, I seal it in plastic and keep it refrigerated. It never seems to last very long.

Lot of variations, sometimes I add hot sauce to the mix or pepper the slices as they dry.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

Finally remembered to ask the wife how her family use to cook Goose. They use to hunt a lot.

Stuff the Goose with a stuffing containing apples, then cover the bird with bacon and cook as you would a turkey. When finished throw away the stuffing (as well as the bird - she didn't like goose). I guess the bacon adds moisture and the stuffing absorbs some of the gammy flavor.

Interesting to hear her talk about the number of geese up by Roso when she was a child.

Good luck with the geese.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:43 pm 

This is a little late, but I'm new ...

Wild Wings ( www.wildwingsofoneka.com ) has recipes on their website. A friend directed me there a year ago when I fell heir to a couple ducks and geese.

Try Sue's Duck and Sauerkraut, and Grilled Goose. I had never cooked or eaten duck, and never cooked goose. I liked both of these redcipes. I put the goose in a crockpot, though, and not on the grill. Every other time I'd had goose it was tough or rubbbery. This wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:55 pm 
Delicate Flower

Maybe this will work better ....... Don't use the parentheses.

www.wildwingsofoneka.com Some interesting looking recipes

Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.