Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Bwahahaha! 
 Post subject: Bwahahaha!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070323/ap_ ... L61fMsQE4F

I have no idea if boat horns scare away coyotes, but they sure would scare away any potential residents...

I remember seeing this town in the news before. The city council is composed of greenies that cannot accept a .22 and a can being the most effective cure for the problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Echoes of Olympia, Washington.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:58 pm 

The original story is here. I can't help but laugh while reading parts of it:
Quote:
Voss decided to pursue the horns as part of a comprehensive approach that includes public education.

"The taxpayers don't want us to say, ‘It's not our job,' " Voss said of buying the horns. "They want us to come up with something."

Residents also can use the horns to scare off stray dogs or feral cats, Voss said, adding that the city gets calls on them as well.

"We want to get beyond the coyote," Voss said. "Citywide, we have other issues in town ... related to personal safety."

Planning to distribute horns

The city spent $5,942 for the aerosol-powered devices. The Falcon SuperSound Horn stands 4 1/2 inches tall but packs an ear-scalding 112 decibels. By comparison, a chain saw delivers 110 decibels, according to the state's Department of Industrial Relations.

The horn can be heard up to a half-mile away over land and a mile on water, according to the company's Web site. Recommended uses include signaling boats or personal protection.

Voss said he's still working out details for issuing horns, which will be free. Residents would likely call a special phone number, schedule an interview with a code compliance officer and get training on using the horn, Voss said. He hopes to unveil the program before the end of the fiscal year on June 30.

People obviously respect someone with a serious title like Code Compliance Manager. And you can tell from the picture that this guy means business! We don't want any untrained hornblowers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:00 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yes, it will work initially and only initially..........

If they can't accept the fact that there are predators out there that will gladly "eat" their pets, how do you think that they will accept the "fact" that there are islamist fundimentalists (terrorists) out there that want to kill them.... :evil:

Anyhow this one guy got it correct:

Quote:
But some, like retired city code enforcement officer Joe Avelar, said the idea could cause more problems than it solves.

"You're going to have disturbing-the-peace problems everywhere," said Avelar, who now chairs the city's Inter-Neighborhood Council Forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Disturbing the peace, nothing. If my neighbor blows a 112Db horn anywhere near me, I'd be thinking of suing for hearing damage. Unless, of course, they are issuing earplugs with horns. In which case the problem will be solved by people not hearing their pets being eaten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:23 pm 
Delicate Flower

CA. need anything else be said :roll: :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

nathanm wrote:

Is'nt that the construction worker from the village people? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Some letters to the editor in the local paper:

Quote:
Blaring in the wind

Re: your March 21 article, "Oxnard to give coyotes an earful":

I got a kick out of Code Compliance Manager Dirk Voss buying air horns for the River Ridge residents to ward off the coyotes preying on their pets. I don't know if Voss knows, but coyotes are nocturnal predators. So, in order for his solution to work, somebody is going to have to be on patrol pretty much all night. And when they spot a dastardly coyote and sound the 112- decibel horn, they will not only scare off the coyote, but most assuredly awaken everyone within a half a mile.

That might end up being a bit of a problem on its own — maybe more so than three dead cats. That rustling sound is not prowling coyotes, but the sound of almost $6,000 of taxpayer money blowing in the wind.

— Bill Hathoot,Oxnard

Quote:
Better use for horn money

Re: your March 21 article, "Oxnard to give coyotes an earful":

I am not a resident of Oxnard but, if I were, I would, as a taxpayer, seriously protest the recent expenditure of nearly $6,000 for 1,000 boat air horns that will be distributed to homeowners of the River Ridge housing development.

For a number of years, I lived in a northern Arizona city and frequently heard and saw coyotes and other wild critters in the housing development where I resided. I, and many other neighbors, purchased hand-held horns with our own money for the purpose of making sounds to deter these wild predators from coming around our homes.

The Star article states that coyotes "likely" killed several pets last fall but apparently no feline deaths have occurred since that time. That is good news, but it occurs to me that homeowners would and should take precautionary measures at all times to ensure the safety and lives of cats and dogs by keeping them enclosed at night and by not placing food objects outside.

I am of the opinion the money spent for the horns — not to mention the unstated costs it will take to provide interviews with a code compliance officer along with training to use the horns — could be put to better use. I am glad I don't live in a neighborhood where late-night revelers could blast each other with a boat horn!

— Jean McGuire,Somis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Whackos. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:32 am 
Designated waste of protoplasm

I got something that they can Blow...

Yep this confirms it - we are circling the drain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:03 am 
Longtime Regular

They should take a cue from the MN DNR. There isn't a coyote problem in Northern Minnesota. That's because the wolves ate them all.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
They should take a cue from the MN DNR. There isn't a coyote problem in Northern Minnesota. That's because the wolves ate them all.

So you are saying that they should import some wolves? I like that idea. Can we train the wolfs to hunts hippies before we send them to CA?

$6k buys a really nice .308 and scope. I bet you could solve the coyote problem with a box of ammo. And of course extensive testing and training on the shooters part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
$6k buys a really nice .308 and scope.

...or 45 .22 rifles.

http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/s ... &item_num=

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

AR: Do you (or anyone) have any personal experience with this particular Mossberg?

I occasionally have people ask for a good inexpensive .22 for pests and I haven't seen one for $132 before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

No, but at this price, if you buy me one, I promise to tell you how it works out. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.