Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:36 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Hunting Organizations 
 Post subject: Hunting Organizations
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:58 pm 

Hi everyone. I'm really interested in getting into pheasant/waterfowl shooting this fall or next year. I'm taking the safety course in August. My only experience is going twice in the UK and limited to a private farm. Does anyone know of any groups in the Twin Cities or better yet in the south metro that would be open to a new (read: only been twice) person? I'm hoping to avoid the expensive businesses that organize trips. Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:00 pm 
1911 tainted

For pheasant hunting, get a map from the DNR of wildlife management areas or waterfowl production areas, bone up on the laws and go hunting. There is no fee on these properties except for the hunting standard Minnesota hunting licenses and appropriate stamp.

Bets is to maybe check around where you work, there may be some upland bird hunters or waterfowlers that would take you along on a local hunting trip.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:08 pm 

Thanks for the tips. The folks I work with are not the hunting type so it's difficult. I was hoping that there might be organized "shoots" as there are in England. That being said, I might just have to take the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and peace on my own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Follow this link to a variety of pheasant hunts, clubs and preserves.

http://www.gamebirdhunts.com/us-hunting/Minnesota.asp

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:40 pm 

Anyone know if a carry permit is valid on the WPAs? I know they are good on state owned property (state parks, forests, WMAs) but WPAs are federal land aren't they?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

bc2007 wrote:
Anyone know if a carry permit is valid on the WPAs? I know they are good on state owned property (state parks, forests, WMAs) but WPAs are federal land aren't they?

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/faqs/WPAs.html

Quote:
WPAs preserve wetlands and grasslands critical to waterfowl and other wildlife. These public lands, managed by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, were included in the National Wildlife Refuge System in 1966 through the National Wildlife Refuge Administration Act.

By regulation WPAs are open to hunting, fishing, and trapping in accordance with State laws. Other important wildlife-dependent uses allowed include wildlife observation, photography, and environmental education. Nearly 800,000 people visit WPAs yearly. WPAs in the Huron WMD in South Dakota get over 100,000 visitors per year – more than any other WMD.

I'd guess your carry permit would work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:49 pm 

bc2007 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. The folks I work with are not the hunting type so it's difficult. I was hoping that there might be organized "shoots" as there are in England. That being said, I might just have to take the opportunity to enjoy the outdoors and peace on my own.

What we do here in the US would be considered rough shooting or walk-up shooting in England/Scotland. Here it is usually the individual, his dog, maybe friends and their dogs.

Two major type of upland bird hunting here. Pheasant and Ruffed Grouse. Ruffed Grouse is similar to partridge hunting. Pheasant hunters are more plentiful, but I enjoy Ruffed Grouse hunting more.

Unlike England our attire is much more casual. That being said you must wear blaze orange when in the field. This is especially important, and required, during firearm deer season. Most of the folks I hunt with use a blaze orange hat and hunting vest. Some will use a blaze orange shirt and a game bag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:28 pm 

Thanks Andrew & buffalo.

Buffalo -- Is it possible to get a bird to fly without a dog? Any tips? As you probably guessed, I'm used to the drives where lines of people (and their dogs) would rustle up the pheasants. I'm hoping to have a dog for the '08 season.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.