Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 AR10 .308 
 Post subject: AR10 .308
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:59 pm 
Journeyman Member

Does anyone have an AR10 .308? If so what do you think of this gun? What does anyone think of the .308 for deer hunting? I may be interested in this gun in the future any input would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: AR10 .308
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:08 pm 
1911 tainted

compactxd wrote:
What does anyone think of the .308 for deer hunting?

On a scale of 10 being the best and 1 being the worst, oh about a 10 with a 165. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:02 pm 
On time out

I am going to go against the flow here and say they are lousy deer guns, while accurate and using a great cartridge, they tend to be heavy, noisy to operate, and they are cold to hold on to.

JMHO< I just much prefer a 7 pound wood and steel gun that has wood where my hands go than a ten pound aluminum and plastic gun while sitting in the tree stand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:20 am 

IMHO the .308 is one of the best deer rounds out there. I have been using it on Whitetail deer for 35 years and have shot elk (180 gr) , and Mule deer with it out west and it preforms 100 %. I have a rem 700 and it has never let me down. I also use it Prairie Dog shooting, a Rem 700 heavy barrel, and loaded with 168 gr match kings. VERY good long range firearm and cal. I have shot some 125 gr. bullets but really never gave them a workout on game.

I have an AR 10 and really enjoy it, but I will not be deer hunting with it, other then on the dog town next summer :lol: it is so much fun to shoot at long range, it will be great to get two or three down there fast!!

The 308 is easy to load, very accurate and if you need to buy ammo, you can get it anywhere...WAY back in the brush in ,Alaska or the Yukon, or in small stores in Wyoming or Montana.

I guess I like the 308 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 am 

I've been using my AR-10 (16" carbine) for deer hunting the last few years. It's biggest downside to me is its weight. Otherwise, it's plenty reliable and accurate. Just make sure your hunting loads function in it before taking it to the field. Mine doesn't like really heavy bullets - like anything over 175 grains - so I stick with 150 gr ballistic tips.

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:02 am 
The Man

There's nothing on the continent that the .308 is too little gun to hunt for, as opposed to use as a stopping rifle for dangerous game; deer aren't dangerous, by and large.

Those folks who hunt with the .308 -- or the .30-06, for that matter -- find that when they can place their bullets well, the deer tend to get less far than with a .30-30. Losing a bit of meat over the larger amount of damage that a .308 is likely to do to not terribly desirable cuts doesn't seem to me like a big price to pay for that.

YMMV.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:18 pm 

get a 300 wsm and you just walk over and pick up your deer. It is awesome. I am going to shoot a deer this weekend with one up north. It is early season does only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

Shot gooseman's 300 winchester short mag today. Held an AR at Bills and now Im thinking 300 short mag or 308. More of a sniper style than AR style. Even the employee at Bills was suprised by the concussion from the 300 short mag :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Well you could get the AR in .300 Remington SAUM.

Panther LR-30S :)

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:47 pm 

Quote:
There's nothing on the continent that the .308 is too little gun to hunt for, as opposed to use as a stopping rifle for dangerous game; deer aren't dangerous, by and large.

Those folks who hunt with the .308 -- or the .30-06, for that matter -- find that when they can place their bullets well, the deer tend to get less far than with a .30-30. Losing a bit of meat over the larger amount of damage that a .308 is likely to do to not terribly desirable cuts doesn't seem to me like a big price to pay for that.

I popped a nub buck last year with my Howa .30-06 180 grain. I agree with you Joel - there's something to be said for smaller bullets or at least less powder. I lost some good meat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I read it to say:
Dropping the animal sooner (and having to trail it a shorter distance, with less risk of losing it) is a fair trade for some more meat damage to less desirable cuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:00 am 
1911 tainted

A 45-70 will drop them fast and have less meat damage than say a 270 or some other high velocity round.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:32 pm 

What are you guys rookies with your shooting hahahahaha. Just kidding but seriously just shoot the neck and no probs with losing any meet the neck meat is not that good or if you shoot in the vitals like you are supossed to lyou don't loose anything unless you guys eat the ribs??? Yum Yum talo oh could you pass the talo this stuff is delicous. Lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:47 am 
Longtime Regular

I don't like neck shots because the arteries are smaller than my little finger and the spine is narrower than a soda can while the heart/lung area is as big as a volleyball.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:46 pm 

I hear you there but every deer that i shoot in the neck drops like a rock kicking but i also shoot at the white area on the throat and usually hit the throat and spine. It works good for me and i have shot as far as 250yds in the neck anything over that i agree the chest is a much better percentage shot.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.