Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 300 Win Mag 
 Post subject: 300 Win Mag
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:07 pm 

I just won a Mossberg 4x4 in 300 win mag at the DU Banquet. Anybody have any experience with this gun? How about this caliber? I normally shoot a 30-06, and I've heard the 300 win mag has a lot more recoil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Congratulations!

Yep - quite a bit more recoil and muzzle blast. But recoil is about 80% psychological. It can be dealt with.

The magazine articles seem to say it is a great value. The one I have looked at seemed nice enough for the price.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:21 pm 

I too carry 30.06 and have shot .300 win mag. I thought the win mag had less 'kick' than a hot 30.06 but way more 'push'. It was not fun to shoot repeatedly but I wouldn't turn it down if I won it. Actually since you now own the gun I think it is required to go elk hunting.
If I had my choice to upgrade from the -06 it would probably be the .300WSM. Shorter bolt length, supposed to be less recoil, but same bullet travel as the win mag.
Look at adding a limbsaver recoil pad. A friend of mine shoots a .300 Ultra Mag for Alaskan moose and caribou and says the limbsaver helped.
Congratulations on your new rifle!

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Tex wrote:
Look at adding a limbsaver recoil pad.

+1 on that.

I wear a "pussy pad" when I am sighting mine in or practicing. Off the bench you are soaking up tons of recoil you won't even feel in the field.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:29 pm 
On time out

.300 is maybe overkill for most minnesota game, but for moose, (once in a lifetime) and elk or bear, its a great round. I find it to be a small step up from 30-06 on the shoulder with the proper gun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:40 pm 
1911 tainted

I have a Ruger MKII in 300 Win mag that I took on a couple elk hunting trips and hopefully on a moose hunt in the next couple of years. I like the cartridge, but I am a fan of the big bores more than the small, like my 35 Whelen and I don't even own a 30-06 any more.

I have a stout load of IMR 7828 pushing a 200 grain Nosler Partition. It ain't no 30-06, but I think my handloads for my 45-70 are more of an attention getter than the 300.

Choice between the a cartridge like a 300 Win mag and a 7mm Remington mag, I would go with the 300, I think it a tad more versatile.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:56 am 
Longtime Regular

The only time I've seen a .300 it was a .300WSM and the guy at the range was fire sizing his brass. I asked and he told me he was setting it up for whacking prarie dogs at about 700+ yards, he also said somethign to the effect of "pink mist". :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:46 am 
Journeyman Member

A buddy has a 300 win mag with a muzzle break, and that made a huge difference regarding recoil. I really have no idea what that would cost though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:59 am 
Longtime Regular

montana_redneck wrote:
I really have no idea what that would cost though.

Not much, just your hearing. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:19 am 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
The only time I've seen a .300 it was a .300WSM and the guy at the range was fire sizing his brass. I asked and he told me he was setting it up for whacking prarie dogs at about 700+ yards, he also said somethign to the effect of "pink mist". :twisted:

ROTFL!

I can just see it..."BANG"......wait for it......."poof"

Or perhaps "splat"

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:49 am 
Journeyman Member

DeanC wrote:
montana_redneck wrote:
I really have no idea what that would cost though.

Not much, just your hearing. :wink:

True! But when the cross-hairs are on the 6x6 bull elk, the noise or the recoil for that matter are non-existent (or so I've been told ) :roll:

Besides, the WSM rounds are not exactly quiet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:52 pm 

Thanks for the feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:11 am 
Longtime Regular

Be sure to report back on how it works out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:03 am 
Longtime Regular

montana_redneck wrote:
A buddy has a 300 win mag with a muzzle break, and that made a huge difference regarding recoil.

A guy over on another firearms forum I belong to custom makes muzzle brakes for several different types of rifles and shotguns.

He posted a video of a .300 Win Mag being shot with it and swears that it reduces recoil to about that of a .243.

Here's the muzzle brake I think he said is the one he used on the .300 Win Mag.
http://www.kingarmory.com/KA1830.php

Here's the link to his website.
http://www.kingarmory.com/

The forums where he posted the video is currently down. Once they get it back up and running, I'll see if I can find the video and post it here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Hunter07 wrote:
montana_redneck wrote:
A buddy has a 300 win mag with a muzzle break, and that made a huge difference regarding recoil.

A guy over on another firearms forum I belong to custom makes muzzle brakes for several different types of rifles and shotguns.

He posted a video of a .300 Win Mag being shot with it and swears that it reduces recoil to about that of a .243.

Here's the muzzle brake I think he said is the one he used on the .300 Win Mag.
http://www.kingarmory.com/KA1830.php

Here's the link to his website.
http://www.kingarmory.com/

The forums where he posted the video is currently down. Once they get it back up and running, I'll see if I can find the video and post it here.

Muzzle breaks will make the rifle louder for you, and a LOT louder for those around you. You might also be hit in the face with a bit of a pressure wave reflecting off of the brake. Not a big deal, it just takes a bit of getting used to.

This is why we should be able to use suppressors in MN. They are the most effective muzzle breaks, AND they make the report less annoying.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.