Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Short video? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:50 am 
The Man

mnglocker wrote:
A video may not be a bad idea actually.
Hmmm... I've actually been thinking, for a fairly long time, about doing a short video, with some compartmentalizeable (yuck, but you know what I mean) part of the class for both instructional and marketing purposes.

I don't see myself doing an infomercial; I'll leave that to others --
Quote:
"Sign up for my class! But wait, there's more! If you do that in the next twenty minutes -- we can't do this all day -- and promise to tell a friend, you'll get this fine pair of bowling shoes, and this set of Ginsu SelfDefense&Steak(tm) knives. Only I Can Haz Gun Permit gets you ready to protect yourself, bowl a string, and carve a mugger or a steak into small, bite-sized pieces. Don't accept anything less -- because you can haz gun permit!

"And if you act in the next five minutes, we'll throw in these ShamWow multipurpose self-defense towels, which mop up juice, coffee, and blood!"
-- but something that might be educational even for folks who are never going to get into the carry thing might be worth the trouble.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 5:59 am 
The Man

I split this over to here because I'd be interested, if anybody else who has taken TCCarry is, in what part of the class might be appropriate for a short video, and useful to folks in general.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:33 am 

I would suggest that the best use for video is for things that aren't practical to do as lecture.

1) anything involving live fire
2) demonstrations of proper loading and unloading technique, which is both hazardous and hard to see if done with an actual weapon
3) video footage of DGU scenarios, mainly to show the limited time available to make choices.
3) other dramatizations e.g. dealing with a traffic stop
4) clips involving other speakers. Police, attorneys, people who got the legislation enacted. Interviews with people regarding their own DGU.
5) footage showing different holster styles in actual use by people of varying body shapes
6) some footage from BPR showing expected range behavior to orient any range n00bs you may have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:08 am 
Raving Moderate

I've not taken your class, Joel (I know, what was I thinking :wink:), but I think Mostly is on to some good points. Particularly the dealing with police and dramatization of DGU scenarios. Don't we have a couple of active/retired LEOs on board? Maybe we could convince one of them (NOT in official uniform, mind you) to help with the police interaction piece.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:19 am 
The Man

Jeremiah wrote:
I've not taken your class, Joel (I know, what was I thinking :wink:), but I think Mostly is on to some good points. Particularly the dealing with police and dramatization of DGU scenarios. Don't we have a couple of active/retired LEOs on board? Maybe we could convince one of them (NOT in official uniform, mind you) to help with the police interaction piece.
That does sound like fun. Granted, we're getting into "my buddy's got a video camera; let's put on a show!" territory, but it might be a fun show, if we can get some volunteers.

I'd rather do basic interaction stuff that DGU stuff, though; somebody who is really unlucky may have a DGU -- but pretty much everybody has standard interactions.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:37 am 
Longtime Regular

I've got a few friends who enjoy shooting that make a living running cameras. They have most of the equipment. (not the cheap stuff you buy at Best Buy) If you're serious I'll call and see if they'd like to particiapte.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:51 am 
The Man

mnglocker wrote:
I've got a few friends who enjoy shooting that make a living running cameras. They have most of the equipment. (not the cheap stuff you buy at Best Buy) If you're serious I'll call and see if they'd like to particiapte.
I am serious, but there's some stuff to think through. I'm pretty sure that I can't afford professional rates, even at a discount, for this sort of thing -- but it seems kind of, well, icky, at best, to invite folks to help me make a video that I'm going to use to market my classes, no matter how educational it might be.

Maybe if everybody involved gets to use it for whatever purposes they want to?

Let's talk. While I'd love to do the whole interaction stuff if we can get enough folks to play, at a minimum, I can persuade me to be the actor for "Here's how to load and unload a revolver," which I see a lot of folks doing suboptimally.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 7:58 am 
Raving Moderate

I've got some (read: *not* a professional, nor do I play one on TV) experience doing video editing and such, and I'm game.

(See- I'm trainable. Never give "ideas" if you aren't willing to put up... :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
6) some footage from BPR showing expected range behavior to orient any range n00bs you may have

I think this is so important and nobody does this.

I took a Noob to Bill's and before we went, I used an airsoft out on the deck to show her all the range methods and procedures including firing and reloading and storage. It was great because you don't need hearing protection and could easily correct improper behavior with a minimum of danger.

When we got to Bill's we could focus on shooting and not on how to not shoot yourself or anyone else. It went really smooth.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:54 am 
Longtime Regular

I can supply VERY high quality cameras (including HD) at minimal cost. My company has a rental dept, and my employee discount is, shall we say, substantial.

Joel, I'll PM some info your way.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:06 am 
Raving Moderate

DeanC wrote:
MostlyHarmless wrote:

I think this is so important and nobody does this.

I took a Noob to Bill's and before we went, I used an airsoft out on the deck to show her all the range methods and procedures including firing and reloading and storage. It was great because you don't need hearing protection and could easily correct improper behavior with a minimum of danger.

When we got to Bill's we could focus on shooting and not on how to not shoot yourself or anyone else. It went really smooth.

Absolutely, it's very important. Definitely something to add to the film...

And Dean, that's a great way of handling range safety, away from the loud noises, etc. that can fluster new folks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:15 am 
The Man

Whew. Well, I've got an idea, involving (if we can get access to a range to shoot in it's a little difficult, without it's a lot easier) range behavior, and the loading and unloading of (quelle surprise) a revolver. If we can't get access to a range to shoot in, that makes it easier, as I'm not going to even think of creating a full range set, but just a table to simulate the shooting point, and let folks work out for themselves how to get to and from there.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
away from the loud noises, etc. that can fluster new folks.

It's more than that, although it bothers me too. The problem is you are trying to give instructions and you end up yelling at people. And some people have a hard time understanding the difference between yelling to overcome the noise and being yelled at.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:56 pm 
Raving Moderate

DeanC wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:
away from the loud noises, etc. that can fluster new folks.

It's more than that, although it bothers me too. The problem is you are trying to give instructions and you end up yelling at people. And some people have a hard time understanding the difference between yelling to overcome the noise and being yelled at.

Yup. See it all the time at work- the tamest of instructions, given in a lunchroom full of gradeschoolers, comes off as insulting pretty easily.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.