Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Question about personal attacks 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:12 pm 

Profanity not withstanding, is the term "smug" really that derogatory to ones character?

Not trying to incite a riot, just trying to understand the nature of the reaction.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

A personal attack includes name-calling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:10 pm 

I have never heard the term smug without hearing something much worst after it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:26 pm 
On time out

I might be convinced its a character description, and depending on use, might or might not be acceptable, frankly i would have thicker skin than letting that bother me, I mean, until I was 12 I thought S*** for brains was an endearment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:16 am 

With this being moved here, much of the context of the question is missed.

To really understand the question, it should not have been moved.... copied, yes... but not entirely removed from the original place of posting.

The dictionary definition of smug:
Having or showing excessive pride in oneself or one's achievements

If being called this is name calling, I guess I've missed many a lesson in my few number of days. Rather, it seems to be an opinionated observation of another's musings on an internet forum, which is what I thought internet forums are about.

The reaction seems to be one of someone that may feel it is correct, as the reaction was very hasty and seemed emotional rather than question the poster about the intent.

Thicker skin is exactly what I was thinking as well... especially with the term "smug"

(here comes the wrath)

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:27 am 

Jai9100 wrote:
I have never heard the term smug without hearing something much worst after it.

VERY True... It is an adjective... There is usually a much worse noun following.

MNbasecamp.com - Minnesota Outdoors Community

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:59 am 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
I might be convinced its a character description, and depending on use, might or might not be acceptable, frankly i would have thicker skin than letting that bother me, I mean, until I was 12 I thought S*** for brains was an endearment.

Smug-for-brains??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:
1911fan wrote:

Smug-for-brains??

you know, I've never heard that combination but come to think of it there are people at my work for whom it is a PERFECT description :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:15 am 
Longtime Regular

a911scanner wrote:
To really understand the question, it should not have been moved.... copied, yes... but not entirely removed from the original place of posting.

There are two things going on here:
1) software limitation. Without a lot of work and the risk of assigning quotes to other people, it's not feasible to leave a post in two places at the same time. It's either in one discussion or another

2) This site is thought of and treated as a resource for Carry related information. That means short thread jacks or wandering topics work but for the long run ability of people new and experienced to use what we produce here as a reference we try to keep things topical.

I suspect that since the smug and personal attack was set to derail the conversation it started in, it was moved. I can see your point about context. feel free to go grab the accurate quote if you think it's necessary to your argument.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:48 am 
Longtime Regular

1. If you have questions about what constitutes a personal attack, go read the rules again. Bottom line, attack the idea, not the person.

2. Paul accurately described why the post was moved: it was not germane to the gun-related discussion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:55 am 
The Man

a911scanner wrote:
I think that's not only a fair observation, but an accurate one.

Here's a few ways to handle it:

1. Persuade me to overturn a moderator's decision. It's never happened before -- and that's not always because I agree with the mods' decisions; I don't, and can think of one thread-locking one recently that I disagree with -- but you might be the first.

2. Persuade the moderator in question to overturn his own decision. I know that's happened; I've done that.

3. Quote some of the context, or point to it, over here.

Of all of those, I think the one that'd most suit your desires is probably #2, but the easiest one is #3.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:43 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
1. If you have questions about what constitutes a personal attack, go read the rules again. Bottom line, attack the idea, not the person.

2. Paul accurately described why the post was moved: it was not germane to the gun-related discussion.

My question has nothing to do with a personal attack. You are " ____ " would constitute a personal attack. I understand this, I believe, hence your point

I do understand that from your "moderators" opinion Andrew, the question was a thread drift from the original topic. But the question has a different meaning based on the thread, not just the question in general.

Here are my original points:

1. That without emotional responses involved, the term "smug" is hardly a personal attack. A criticism at best, but hardly an attack. One might be able to see this better without "rose-colored glasses"

2. That using both an "opinion based on being a forum member" hat & a "moderator" hat at the same time is a slippery slope. I have seen this be a bit of a problem at times here, and should be looked at by the mod team, as well as introspectively by individual moderators. Impartiality is key, I think it was missed in this case.

3. That maybe no one is perfect, regardless of their job title. Even mods need to be moderated some times.

And some further points based on the following:

joelr wrote:
I think that's not only a fair observation, but an accurate one.

Here's a few ways to handle it:

1. Persuade me to overturn a moderator's decision. It's never happened before -- and that's not always because I agree with the mods' decisions; I don't, and can think of one thread-locking one recently that I disagree with -- but you might be the first.

2. Persuade the moderator in question to overturn his own decision. I know that's happened; I've done that.

3. Quote some of the context, or point to it, over here.

Of all of those, I think the one that'd most suit your desires is probably #2, but the easiest one is #3.

1. This is a wonderfully moderated site based on responses like the above

2. That most of the the time, Joel, Andrew and the rest of the mods respond with impartiality

3. That both of the mods mentioned have been in the middle of such affairs in the past, and those situations lend to make the site a bit uncomfortable. More of a "What I say is the way it is" vs "While I don't agree, I can see your point" undercurrent.

4. That my opinions are mine, whether shared or not.

5. That my diatribe on this point was based on doing things the American way, which includes questions posed to the leaders.

Any further discussions I have will be done in PM, so feel free to send them.

MM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:54 am 
Longtime Regular

You make some strong points and make them well.

Of course, When Joel's speaking, I assume it's "that's the way it is" given who pays the bills and carries the water hereabouts.

Fortunately, he's a benevolent host most of the time and bends over backwards to restrain the heavy hand and be VERY clear which hat he's wearing. I'm not sure I'm capable of the forbearance I've seen him display, even when I've disagreed with him on details small or large. Hell, ESPECIALLY when I've disagreed with him :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:39 am 
Longtime Regular

a911scanner wrote:
My question has nothing to do with a personal attack. You are " ____ " would constitute a personal attack. I understand this, I believe, hence your point.

Now I'm getting impatient. "You are smug" is a personal attack. Feel free to disagree, but the call was made.

a911scanner wrote:
I do understand that from your "moderators" opinion Andrew, the question was a thread drift from the original topic.

It pretty clearly. objectively was. And the call was made.

a911scanner wrote:
One might be able to see this better without "rose-colored glasses"

I don't think that means what you think it means. Would you explain what you mean?

Quote:
2. That using both an "opinion based on being a forum member" hat & a "moderator" hat at the same time is a slippery slope. I have seen this be a bit of a problem at times here, and should be looked at by the mod team, as well as introspectively by individual moderators. Impartiality is key, I think it was missed in this case.

You'll note that I took no action except a polite warning. Mods accept some shit that we wouldn't tolerate aimed at a "regular member."

Quote:
3. That maybe no one is perfect, regardless of their job title. Even mods need to be moderated some times.

Joel has thoroughly addressed that issue.

Bottom line: it is impossible to make everyone happy. We do the best we can. If you enjoy visiting the forum, do so. If not, there are other places to spend your time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 pm 
The Man

FWIW, there's no way to moderate me here. Heaven knows, some folks have tried -- but the fellow who went over the edge in that and attempted to encourage one of the other admins to take over the Forum was, err, patently unsuccessful.

In terms of the mods/admins, even -- particularly -- when I disagree with them, I do have weigh the costs/benefits of doing what I think best in a given situation with undercutting their ability to be effective as mods/admins.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.