Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:49 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Lag 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:21 am 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
joelr wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
I've been getting long delays all day. :(
I'll put in a report to DreamHost.

Any updates?

This lag is causing me to reminisce about my days on dialup. :(

My days on dialup involved a 110 baud acoustically coupled modem... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:23 am 
The Man

macphisto wrote:
joelr wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Any updates?
Nope; when they've looked, there hasn't been a problem. At the moment, Klax -- the server that we're running on -- is kind of heavily used; unless the problem gets better, I'm going to ask that they move us to another server.

That said, doing it is guaranteed to create problems; we've got some CPAN modules on Klax that were put there for TCCarry and the Forum, and they'll have to be reinstalled on the new server.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

grayskys wrote:
My days on dialup involved a 110 baud acoustically coupled modem... :shock:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang, that's cookin! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
macphisto wrote:
joelr wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Any updates?
Nope; when they've looked, there hasn't been a problem. At the moment, Klax -- the server that we're running on -- is kind of heavily used; unless the problem gets better, I'm going to ask that they move us to another server.

That said, doing it is guaranteed to create problems; we've got some CPAN modules on Klax that were put there for TCCarry and the Forum, and they'll have to be reinstalled on the new server.

Maybe it would make more sence to move the some of the other load off Klax...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

grayskys wrote:
joelr wrote:
macphisto wrote:
joelr wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:

Any updates?

Maybe it would make more sence to move the some of the other load off Klax...

Yeah, why don't they move/inconvenience those other guys so our problems go away ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:02 am 
Longtime Regular

Well those other guys are hogging the server, so maybe they should move and say pay for a dedicated server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:58 pm 

Dreamhost usually runs between 400-500 websites per server, so it may take a lot of moving other sites to resolve this site's problem. :shock:

I've been a customer of their's since 1998, they've had some growing pains in the last year, but still work to make things right. (but you need to be patient sometimes)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

I found this topic on phpBB forum on phpBB tweaks for large forums...

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=135383

I don't think this forum is quite there yet, but this guy is good and it is interesting reading. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:13 pm 

I am going crazy with he speed of the forum. There is a huge lag from when I click the thread topic to when it shows up. It is also really slow to post my reply's and when navigating out of a thread to the root of the forum.

Is anybody else experiencing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

brauchma wrote:
I am going crazy with he speed of the forum. There is a huge lag from when I click the thread topic to when it shows up. It is also really slow to post my reply's and when navigating out of a thread to the root of the forum.

Tabbed browsing is your friend. Just open up all the threads that you want to see, by the time you are done the first one that you clicked should be ready to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:52 pm 

someone1980 wrote:
brauchma wrote:

Tabbed browsing is your friend. Just open up all the threads that you want to see, by the time you are done the first one that you clicked should be ready to go.

Great minds think alike! I do that already. then firefox really hogs the cpu cycles and RAM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:39 am 
Longtime Regular

brauchma wrote:
Great minds think alike! I do that already. then firefox really hogs the cpu cycles and RAM.

Not that this is the way thing should be, but it is the way I use them.

For Firefox go out and grab the session saver plugin. When you shut down FF it ask if you want to save or clear your session. Hit save and all of the windows will come up again. This also works when the browser crashes. Reload firefox at least once a week to combat its memory leak.

IE has the functionality built in, but when it crashes your session is gone. It doesn't give you a warning bfore it crashes. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:41 am 

someone1980 wrote:
For Firefox go out and grab the session saver plugin. When you shut down FF it ask if you want to save or clear your session. Hit save and all of the windows will come up again. This also works when the browser crashes. Reload firefox at least once a week to combat its memory leak.

I use it! it is a great plugin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
brauchma wrote:

Not that this is the way things should be, but it is the way I use them.

For Firefox go out and grab the session saver plugin. When you shut down FF it will ask if you want to save or clear your session. Hit save and all of the windows will come up again. This also works when the browser crashes. Reload firefox at least once a week to combat its memory leak.

IE has the session saver functionality built in, but when it crashes your session is gone. It doesn't give you a warning bfore it crashes. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:56 am 
The Man

brauchma wrote:
someone1980 wrote:

I use it! it is a great plugin.
I prefer the Tab Mix Plus extension -- it does session saving and a bunch of other stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.