Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 1:39 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Norm 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:06 am 

bensdad wrote:
Andrew Rothman wrote:
Carbide Insert wrote:
Why would anyone select their breakfast from between two rotten apples when there's fresh fruit on the table? Coleman and Franken are just awful.

Because Barkley won't win.

The choices are fresh apples, rotten apples, or poo -- and they're out of fresh apples. So sensible people vote for rotten apples, because they still taste better than the poo.

I'm not voting for rotten apples. They've taken me for granted, stolen my money and given it away, and they've ignored the plea's of my fellow citizens and me. Go ahead and be one of the many who give Norm tacit permission to carry on. I'm done.

Ditto on the not voting for rotten apples.
Last report I heard had calls from citizens to their Representatives and Senators at 6 to 1 against the bailout. The elitist rotten apples passed the measure anyway. If the elitist rotten apples ignore the overwhelming requests of the citizens on this issue, and get away with it by being re-elected, what could possibly make anyone certain they will support the pleas of citizens in the future when it comes to Second Amendment issues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:16 am 
Longtime Regular

Sadly, giving tacit approval to bad still beats giving overt approval to worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:33 am 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:

I would agree with that, in so far as it makes no sense to vote for Obama to spite McCain.

I would disagree when it comes to voting for a third party who may better encompass your political values. I believe giving approval to good/great (but unelectable) beats giving tacit approval to bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:53 am 
Poet Laureate

Andrew Rothman wrote:

Ah!

But that is so far from the actual truth. I have to respectfully disagree with you on this Andrew.

Refusing to vote for Norm, the bad apple (or Franken, also the bad apple), is not giving overt approval to worse. Any and all overt approval given is to the good choice, by evidence of your vote being placed upon said good choice. (In the course of this discussion, that label is applied to candiates Dean B. and James N.)

Whether or not my fellow countrymen decide to sell their country down the river by voting for more Norm (or new Al), has no bearing on my choice to improve the country by voting for a good guy. It is the fault of all the voters, who, in effect, willingly giving their tacit approval to bad, when they are fully aware that fact. When you are purposefully selecting a rotten apple, that is exactly what you get. The degree of how rotten, of on which side of the apple the rot is present, is of little consequence.

Having said all that, I don't begrudge you in your line of reasoning. Heck, I subscribed to it for quite some time myself, so I completely understand. However, my line in the sand is drawn: no more will I vote for what appears to be the least worse option. There are too many good men out there, who are giving of their time, efforts, and money to improve this country, and the least I can do for them (and for my children) is to support them with my ballot.

Besides (and not that it's relevant to my argument here), Norm won't miss my support. If he did, he wouldn't have voted for that $700,000,000,000.00 atrocity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:59 am 
Poet Laureate

bensdad wrote:
I'm not voting for rotten apples. They've taken me for granted, stolen my money and given it away, and they've ignored the plea's of my fellow citizens and me. Go ahead and be one of the many who give Norm tacit permission to carry on. I'm done.

Well said.

A big +1 here.

McCain will sign any gun control the house sends him. Obama will continue the war, whether or not you want him to or not. They are both for wall street welfare. Among many other things, there is no difference between the two.

This has been the clearest election in some time when it comes to voting for a candidate other than the two puppets placed before us once again. When you combine that all with Diebold, what have you got to lose by voting your true conscience? :roll: :shock: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:30 am 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
bensdad wrote:

Well said.

A big +1 here.

McCain will sign any gun control the house sends him. Obama will continue the war, whether or not you want him to or not. They are both for wall street welfare. Among many other things, there is no difference between the two.

This has been the clearest election in some time when it comes to voting for a candidate other than the two puppets placed before us once again. When you combine that all with Diebold, what have you got to lose by voting your true conscience? :roll: :shock: :evil:

I follow your logic, but in the VP race I will vote for Palin. I want her as VP.
The fact that "that guy" will be hurt and McCain helped by my vote is not my concern. :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:36 am 
Journeyman Member

I won't vote for Barkley, he was the puppet master holding Ventura's strings. And we know how that turned out.

Not sure I will vote for Norm either. We knew 6 years ago that he was not a strong conservative, but a democrat cross-over. But some of his positions still grate mightily.

Definitely not for Franken.

I may just vote for none of the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:42 am 

someone1980 wrote:
chunkstyle wrote:
Does Barkley have a known gun position?

The NRA website does not list that person as having a rating.

From his position paper:
Quote:
Constitutional Rights
For 18-Year-Olds:
If 18-year-olds can be sent to fight in a misguided war, there’s no reason they should be denied the right to responsibly consume alcohol.

For the GLBT Community:
It’s long past time to acknowledge that the equal protection clause of the Constitution applies to all Americans, regardless of their sexual orientation, in the same way it applies to all of our citizens regardless of race, religion or gender.

For Gun Owners:
The Second Amendment to our Constitution is just as important as any of the others, so all lawabiding citizens have the right to own and bear arms.

More information here
http://www.senatorbarkley.com/misc/Sena ... Issues.pdf

Backing up a bit, it appears to be a positive on 2A, but what about conceal and carry issues? I mean, that's what we are interested in?

I'm looking Barkley over closer these days, but would be interested in a more detailed statement on 2A.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:43 am 

MTinMN wrote:
I won't vote for Barkley, he was the puppet master holding Ventura's strings. And we know how that turned out.

Not sure I will vote for Norm either. We knew 6 years ago that he was not a strong conservative, but a democrat cross-over. But some of his positions still grate mightily.

Definitely not for Franken.

I may just vote for none of the above.

Run off elections? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:56 am 
Poet Laureate

jaysong wrote:
I follow your logic, but in the VP race I will vote for Palin. I want her as VP.
The fact that "that guy" will be hurt and McCain helped by my vote is not my concern. :twisted:

Unfortunately, this country does not vote for a vice president. You vote for a president.

This whole notion that Palin and Biden have anything to do with anything is a farce. It's a way thrown out by the media for people to justify swallowing the turd that is their presidential running mate. That's all.

The vice president is an "on-deck" individual. The purpose of that office is to step in if something happens to the president elect. I find it funny that you say you will vote for Palin. She will not be on the ballot. There is a reason for that. Her position as a running mate is there solely for the people who understand that McCain is bad news. This offers a way for people to walk away feeling somewhat good about themselves after pulling the lever for the letter R, despite the fact that they have contributed to electing a horribly poor candidate.

Palin is the equivalent of the cute girl in high school that McCain is standing behind to get his picture taken with so that people will think he's cool. It has no bearing on how this country will be managed by the executive branch for the next 4 years. I would urge you to reconsider your "vote" for Palin.

Anyway, I think over my last few posts I've said my piece. I'll step aside now, grab a bag of popcorn, and see what others have to say. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Who would you vote for, then? I've looked at all the third parties, and none of them work, either.

Bob Barr? Sure, he gets a few things right, but what he gets wrong is so far wrong, he's not a libertarian, at all. Same was true for Ron Paul. The "Constitution" party just seems to be some sort of fascists, under camouflage. The rest are just various forms of commies. There's nothing left.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Last edited by chunkstyle on Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
The vice president is an "on-deck" individual. The purpose of that office is to step in if something happens to the president elect.

Do you know our constitution says about the office of the VP. It's a bit more than Miss runner up in a beauty pageant.

Carbide Insert wrote:
She will not be on the ballot. :D

:shock: Have you ever voted in a presidential election?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:18 am 
Poet Laureate

I meant as a separate option. Wherein the People might elect a vice president from a choice of candidates. All you get with this arrangement is a package deal, with McCain having 100% shareholder ownership of the package.

But yes, technically I was wrong, and you are correct. Her name will be on the ballot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:20 am 
Poet Laureate

jaysong wrote:
Do you know {what} our constitution says about the office of the VP?

I do.

The Vice President of the U.S. has only one duty defined by the U.S. Constitution: to serve as President of the U.S. Senate.

In my opinion, that is poor criteria for supporting a bad apple as PotUS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:21 am 
Longtime Regular

Carbide Insert wrote:
I meant as a separate option. Wherein the People might elect a vice president from a choice of candidates. All you get with this arrangement is a package deal, with McCain having 100% shareholder ownership of the package.

But yes, technically I was wrong, and you are correct. Her name will be on the ballot.

So YOU will vote for her then, right?
:P 8)

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.