Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun May 19, 2024 3:45 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 18 Arrested in St Paul "Weapons Sting" 
 Post subject: 18 Arrested in St Paul "Weapons Sting"
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 10:17 am 

Unfortunately, this story's rather light on details, but I couldn't find it on the Pioneer Press or any other local news website besides the Strib yet.
Quote:
Eighteen in custody in raids following a weapons sting in St. Paul
Six months ago, St. Paul undercover police officers and federal authorities set up a storefront operation on the city's East Side and opened for the business of buying weapons and other contraband.

Last update: May 17, 2007 – 11:54 PM

Six months ago, St. Paul undercover police officers and federal authorities set up a storefront operation on the city's East Side and opened for the business of buying weapons and other contraband.

Called "Operation Capital City Cleanup," the effort ended today with 18 people arrested, dozens of weapons seized and large amounts of drugs taken off the street, authorities said at a news conference this afternoon.

"St. Paul is a safer city today than it was six months ago," Police Chief John Harrington said at the news conference, where several guns and drugs were displayed. "But this is only the beginning."

Eighteen people are in custody, including four who face federal weapons charges. Authorities will trace where the weapons came from, and more charges are expected.

The suspects were rounded up yesterday and today during raids involving more than 30 officers. They had no connection with each other, police said, apart from the contraband business that sprang from the storefront operation.

Agencies involved in the raids included the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, St. Paul police and the Ramsey County sheriff's office.

CURT BROWN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:23 pm 

Hmmm... I wonder what it cost to run this sting operation just to get a dozen or so guns "off the street"...? $1 million, $2 million? They could have spent that money buying guns and gotten them "off the street" more effectively. :roll:

MADFI Certified Instructor (#60)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Was this all conducted at a Gun Show, because you know there are loopholes that allow criminals to buy guns at Gun Shows.

[/Sarcasm].
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:02 pm 

mpthole wrote:
Hmmm... I wonder what it cost to run this sting operation just to get a dozen or so guns "off the street"...? $1 million, $2 million? They could have spent that money buying guns and gotten them "off the street" more effectively. :roll:

Let's not be so quick to condemn them before any details about the bust are released. The article did say "dozens of weapons seized and large amounts of drugs."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Great job by the ATF, St Paul Police and Ramsey Co sheriff. :D

They got 18 people who break into houses, cars and garages to steal our stuff and possibly assault people. That money was well spent IMHO.

Do you realize how many break-ins 18 people can do? Couple a day for the drug addicts. These are the people who need to go away! 8)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 8:37 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Was this a Miami Vice type operation?

Couldn't think of their own way to do it?

"Ignore that camera in the TV".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 9:21 pm 
Site Admin

mpthole wrote:
Hmmm... I wonder what it cost to run this sting operation just to get a dozen or so guns "off the street"...?

"Just" getting the guns off the street? Who cares?

Getting 18 crooks off the street is a big accomplishment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:25 am 

At least in this instance it appears they were targeting real criminals instead of trying to take away my rights to solve the crime problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 6:47 am 

The article's been drastically edited since it first appeared:

Quote:
18 nabbed in St. Paul sting that nets many stolen guns

Authorities used a phony storefront to crack down on weapons and drug trafficking in St. Paul.

By Curt Brown, Star Tribune

Last update: May 17, 2007 – 11:54 PM

When a storefront opened on St. Paul's East Side last October, little did customers know that the clerks were undercover St. Paul cops and federal agents buying stolen guns and other contraband.

The six-month Operation Capital City Cleanup ended Thursday with 18 people in custody, dozens of weapons off the street, and assorted drugs, cash and vehicles seized.

"St. Paul is a much safer place today than it was six months ago," St. Paul Police Chief John Harrington said. "It was a really impressive piece of work to run a storefront, run down leads and pull together and package them into cases that will take serious bad guys and put them away."

And tracing the seized guns will lead to more arrests, authorities say.

'Only the beginning'

This is only the beginning," said Bernard Zapor, special agent in charge of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

Harrington lent two undercover officers to a team of nine ATF agents, who ran the storefront.

Zapor declined to give many details, saying he was "being purposely vague because it's an investigative technique we hope to use again."

Stopping the trafficking of stolen firearms, according to one search warrant, was the focus of the investigation. And the storefront was the crux of the operation.

"That was the trunk of the tree," Zapor said.

"Other operations spurred from that, including undercover narcotics investigations. But the storefront was the center and core of this case."

No link among suspects

There was no obvious link among the 18 suspects arrested in various parts of St. Paul. About 30 officers on four teams began raids Wednesday morning, rounding up suspects and evidence. Those arrested are expected to be charged with various weapons and drug offenses, and they include felons and gang members who allegedly sold guns to undercover agents.

At least three of the suspects, all from St. Paul, are facing federal charges and were identified as Jeanne (Ma Barker) Finch, 49; Darius Denny, 39; and Lucas Madison, 26, who was arrested after abandoning a stolen motorcycle and fleeing on foot. Police said drugs were found in the motorcycle.

State charges are expected to be filed against at least 13 others arrested in the raids and police are hoping to bring in at least eight more suspects.

"This is the midpoint of the story," Harrington said. "Each of the guns tells a story."

Zapor said the seized weapons, which included knives, rifles and handguns "are almost like DNA and provide us with unique intelligence" that will help determine where they came from. He said most guns used in crimes had left the control of a legal dealer within the past two years and only changed hands one time.

Harrington said the goal of the operation was to be "proactive to the atrocities of gun violence" instead of simply reacting after someone is killed. He said 650 crime guns were removed from St. Paul streets last year, a tenfold increase over recent years.

Curt Brown • 651-298-1542 • curt.brown@startribune.com

So it sounds like they were targeting criminals who bought and sold guns illegally, rather than just guns in general. I'm impressed the journalist made this distinction:
Quote:
He said most guns used in crimes had left the control of a legal dealer within the past two years and only changed hands one time.

So most of the guns were bought legally to begin with, but transferred illegally to criminals. Hopefully the rest of the media and politicians can maintain that distinction: the people making the straw purchases are the criminals, not the dealers who made the original, legitimate sales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:19 pm 
On time out

I believe, (not sure, and not quotable) that they had opened a "no questions" pawn shop. I heard a rumor about it, but I believe that they had set up a pawn shop where little or no questions were being asked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:53 am 
Longtime Regular

TC95GT wrote:
At least in this instance it appears they were targeting real criminals instead of trying to take away my rights to solve the crime problem.

Oh no.... The criminals are free to continue their unlawfull ways.... But the GUNS are on lockdown with no chance of parole!

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 12:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
TC95GT wrote:

Oh no.... The criminals are free to continue their unlawfull ways.... But the GUNS are on lockdown with no chance of parole!

Mostly-

If that is true, at least the save those poor people from those evil guns that caused them to do bad things and maybe even hurt people. :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 3:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

My house was burglarized about 20 years ago and they REJECTED all my long guns (hunting guns), didn't find my pistol which was well hidden. They opened the gun cases though. They took silver and all jewelry and checked everything in the house.

The police told me that is typical, guns are hard to fence, because they are easy to trace and bring enhanced penalties. FFL's know stolen guns when they see them so it's not safe to try to sell to an FFL.

I'm glad they do these stings but I bet some people lost guns because there was a place to fence them for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
FFL's know stolen guns when they see them so it's not safe to try to sell to an FFL.

How?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:
FFL's know stolen guns when they see them so it's not safe to try to sell to an FFL.

How?

Because they usually have the people skills to size up a seller. People selling guns they know nothing about are easy to spot if you are a professional buyer/seller.

Guns have numbers on them and no businessman wants to sell something that turns up on a stolen list. Guns goes back to the rightful owner and dealer has to refund the money loses his reputation.

So, I'm told most thieves get about $25 for a stolen firearm. Better to grab a carton of cigs than a gun.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.