Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:47 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Wiki: Pawlenty 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

mitchx3 wrote:
I didn't think Wiki would get so contentious about this. Makes one wonder how admin status is attained.

It's a wiki, unless articles are protected as moderated, anyone can edit them. See the change history here. You can see that all sorts of folks have made changes recently. Some log in under a user name (as our own Princewally did), but some others did it anonymously, and you'll see IP addresses for them.

You'll see that the latest undo (by Ohnoitsjamie) cited that "blogs are not reliable sources." If you dig deeper into the Wikipedia policies, you'll see that blogs are online self-published sources, that use of these is discouraged, but it's not as cut and dry as Ohnoitsjamie states. There are circumstances where these sources can be viewed as acceptable. But you'll get into a big pissing match trying to convince some of these people that Doug Hester's work is reliable enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

lumbering.buffalo wrote:
princewally wrote:
And it's gone again. Pulled by an admin, because the sources are 'reliable'.

And what does that mean in english :?:

I forgot the "n't"

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:41 am 
Longtime Regular

ree wrote:
But you'll get into a big pissing match trying to convince some of these people that Doug Hester's work is reliable enough.

Yep. I tried that on ohnoitsjamie's talk page. :)

You also get entered into the 'possible spammer' page if you post gun links on gun pages.

--------------------

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:28 am 
Longtime Regular

I've started a discussion on "Talk:Tim Pawlenty" over the reliability of the sources that have been provided.

There are two specific questions, concerning the two sources, Douglas Hester and Joel Rosenberg.

1: Is either of them an established expert in the field.
2: Have either of them been previously published by a reliable third-party publication.

I think I've convinced our critic concerning Joel with respect to question one, by citing his authorship of the MN carry book and the AACFI curriculum.

Has he been published by a "reliable third-party publication"? Any newspaper columns, magazine articles, etc.?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:30 am 
The Man

jdege wrote:
I've started a discussion on "Talk:Tim Pawlenty" over the reliability of the sources that have been provided.

There are two specific questions, concerning the two sources, Douglas Hester and Joel Rosenberg.

1: Is either of them an established expert in the field.
2: Have either of them been previously published by a reliable third-party publication.

I think I've convinced our critic concerning Joel with respect to question one, by citing his authorship of the MN carry book and the AACFI curriculum.

Has he been published by a "reliable third-party publication"? Any newspaper columns, magazine articles, etc.?
My first professional sale was an OpEd in the New York Times; I've also appeared in American Business, GamePlay, and the Star Tribune. And Writers Digest, EMPIRE, Avon Books (The Electronic Money Machine, a book on computers), and a bunch of other things.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
My first professional sale was an OpEd in the New York Times; I've also appeared in American Business, GamePlay, and the Star Tribune. And Writers Digest, EMPIRE, Avon Books (The Electronic Money Machine, a book on computers), and a bunch of other things.

Anything I can cite with a URL?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:11 pm 
The Man

jdege wrote:
joelr wrote:

Anything I can cite with a URL?
Nah. All the NYTimes and Strib stuff is available via Lexus/Nexus, but the only reprints of any of it that are free online are on my own website.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Would citing the lexus/Nexus sources in a bibliographic way, even though they're not free / open be sufficient to establish your CV as it were?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:24 pm 
The Man

plblark wrote:
Would citing the lexus/Nexus sources in a bibliographic way, even though they're not free / open be sufficient to establish your CV as it were?
I dunno. Getting involved in the Wikipedia community is something I'm trying to avoid; it's looking, to me, more and more like a time sink and a cult.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I'm giving up on updating the wiki. The admins are presenting a moving target to keep the update. Every reason they've given for pulling it has been refuted, only to be replaced with a new reason. Screw 'em.

Give it a couple of weeks, and somebody who isn't me can go add it again.

--------------------

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:42 pm 
Site Admin

There's a reason it's known as the Wiki World News.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.