Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:04 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 How do I get involved and make a difference? 
 Post subject: How do I get involved and make a difference?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:29 pm 
Journeyman Member

I have just recently begun to take more than just a passing interest in the political world, particularly politics concerning the 2nd Amendment and things associated with me as a gun owner and permit to carry holder.

I am a member of the NRA and have contacted my Representative in support of HF498.

However, I am not very familiar with how all of this works and where I can fit in and make a difference.

Any suggestions to point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks to all
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Agreed!

Looking through "The New Thing" forum, it looks like the idea of getting folks together had legs through October or so...any reason that couldn't start up again? Nothing to fuel the process like a gathering of like-minded folks planning political activity. After all, isn't that one of the best parts of this country? (looking around for secret police)

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:42 pm 
The Man

There's lots of stuff to do. Among other things, take an afternoon off, make appointments with your legislators in St. Paul, and show up to talk to them about issues that are of importance to you.

Take some new folks shooting for the first time; talk to Glock+Ipod and someone1980; they've got this stuff down to something between a science and an artform.

I'll likely be making some specific suggestions -- here, and on the Livejournal -- over the next few days over a present, pressing issue, but there's no reason to wait for me to make suggestions; I'm, well, just a guy, and so are you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lots of good suggestions.

Here is mine. Take friends and family shooting. Then work on them to get a carry permit. This more than anything will help people learn and then CARE and lastly ACT by voting for someone who cares about rights.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 am 
Longtime Regular

It is always good to contact your legislators and make them aware that your 2A rights are important to you and that you expect them to vote accordingly. Always be polite, but firm. If you are well educated on 2A issues, letters to the editor can be very persuasive. Although the antis will be spewing misinformation and lies, don't follow suit, as your credibility is important. Always back up your opinions with facts and you will do fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Become a member of GOA http://www.gunowners.org/ and get on their notification list - you will hear of things the NRA doesn't want you to know about so you can hold the NRA's feet to the fire when the call you looking for more money, and then call you again, and again, and again, again, again, again...

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:04 pm 
Journeyman Member

All very good ideas.
As I stated in my original post; I am only recently learning how the politics of all this works, or politics in general as far as that goes.
Maybe it's time I came to one of these breakfasts or lunches at the effen Gopher Bar I've been reading about and get to know some folks here.
When's the next one?

Thanks again
Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:27 pm 

Not soon enough!! :D How 'bout another Sam? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:49 am 
Poet Laureate

I've got nothing against meet, greet, and eat; in fact, I especially love the eat part.

But,

If you really want to get involved and make a difference: Start Right Here.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.