Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:16 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Castle Doctrine Bill 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
Besides, we should be giving the victim the benefit of the doubt, not the bad guy.

Careful - In many peoples minds - WE ARE THE BAD GUYS! I mean even though 'deVon' was decked out in Crips gear and has 'Crips' inked across his forehead... He WAS turning his life around before you struck him down in cold blood.

Mostly-

Post subject: Introduction and letter.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 am 

Hello all.

First of all, introductions. I'll admit, I'm relatively new to firearms, but growing up in a family where guns = the devil kept me from even handling one until about six months ago. Since then I have applied for my carry permit, and have signed up for/intend to take several training courses in the near future. I'm committed to being a safe and responsible member of the legal gun carrying community. I plan on showing up tomorrow at the capitol to show my support for the new bill, and have sent letters to my representatives. I must thank you all for giving me the backbone for this letter and allowing me to plagiarize from some earlier letters. I look forward to joining in the discussions on this forum.

Here is the letter I wrote:

Dear Representative [last name],

On Feb 1, about 9PM, a woman was walking on the 2700 block of Humboldt Ave., not an area considered "high crime". She was abducted by a stranger at gunpoint, and forced into a car. Her attacker forced her to
withdraw money from several ATMs, then took her to her own apartment, where he raped her and ransacked the place. Her ordeal lasted for upwards of three hours, and I'm sure she will bear the wounds from it for the
rest of her life. The MPD did an excellent job in eventually arresting the assailant, but this does her little good after the fact.
http://www.startribune.com/local/15467256.html

On Wednesday, October 24th of last year, Katherine Olson was reported missing after responding to a CraigsList add for a nanny. She was pulled into the house by a 19 year old boy, Michael John Anderson who shot her in the back because, according to his testimony to police, he "thought it would be funny". She was found two days later in the trunk of a car.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/10/ ... S._3431322

Both myself and my girlfriend were personally affected by these tragedies, as we know/knew both of these unfortunate women and are/were friends with them. Given these two events, plus a multitude of other tragedies in our social bubble, both my girlfriend and I have applied for our Minnesota carry permit and intend to legally carry a firearm for self defense. It is exceedingly important to me that should it become necessary to defend myself or those I love, my rights to do so are protected by law.

With stories like these, and in the context of the rash of mass killings at shopping centers, colleges, and the murderous rampage by a police officer in Wisconsin http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/10/07/wiscon ... index.html), we need to take a common sense approach to violence in our society.

Banning guns doesn't solve the problem, as has once again been proven at Northern Illinois University, another supposed "gun-free" zone somehow made into a killing field. Law abiding citizens should be allowed to protect themselves with lethal force if necessary, and should further be protected by legislation. This would allow Minnesotans to take greater responsibility for their own safety.

Before the House is a bill to do exactly that, HF 0498, authored by Rep. Cornish. A similar bill, SF 0446, authored by Sen. Pariseau, is before the Senate. Laws similar to these sensible bills have already been enacted in several other states, and with good results.

[Rep. first name], I want you to know that I and my girlfriend, both St. Louis Park residents, both support this legislation, and we strongly urge you to do so as well. Rather than be prosecuted for using lethal force in response to a threat on one's life, we as law abiding citizens believe we have a right to defend ourselves. We also believe that you, as our representative, have a responsibility to support this legislation so that we would not be victimized again by prosecution or lawsuits in the event that we are forced to defend ourselves.

Permit holders have proven themselves to be very responsible and law abiding, which is a far cry from what the media and anti-gun lobby were predicting. With that in mind, I ask that you support pro-gun legislation that protects law abiding citizens from unfair prosecution and civil lawsuits that could arise from the defensive use of firearms. It is bad enough having to deal with the horror of shooting someone. It is worse to think that we may also be criminally charged by an anti-gun, politically motivated prosecutor and also face civil lawsuits from the criminals or their families. The cost of defending yourself in these instances is astronomical. Please don't think this cannot happen; it already has in multiple instances nationwide. That is why I ask that you support "Castle Doctrine" legislation. This is not "shoot first" legislation and the sky is not going to fall when it is enacted, as the anti-gunners want us to believe. This legislation merely prevents law abiding citizens from further victimization. It is time to stop protecting criminals!

The purpose of Castle Doctrine is to remove any ambiguous interpretations that prosecutors can make with regard to the actions taken by the victim in protecting himself from a criminal. It also gives notice to would-be burglars, rapists and other criminals that it is the resident or homeowner who has the support of the law.

"Castle Doctrine" law basically does four things:

One: It establishes, in law, the presumption that a criminal who forcibly enters or intrudes into your home or occupied vehicle is there to cause death or great bodily harm, therefore a person may use any manner of force, including deadly force, against that person.

Two: It removes the "duty to retreat" if you are attacked in any place you have a right to be. You no longer have to turn your back on a criminal and try to run when attacked. Instead, you may stand your ground and fight back, meeting force with force, including deadly force, if you reasonably believe it is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to yourself or others.

Three: It provides that persons using force authorized by law shall not be prosecuted for using such force.

Four: This bill also prohibits criminals and their families from suing victims for injuring or killing the criminals who have attacked them.

If you have never shot before I extend a hand to show you the sport. We are not the blood thirsty, short fused savages that the media and the anti-gun lobby wants you to believe that we are. Permit holders are in the vast majority an intelligent, law abiding, conscientious group of people.

[Rep. first name], please vote to support this legislation, and don't hesitate to contact me for any further information.

Thank you for your support,

Protect yourself and the ones you love.

NRA Certified Instructor
MADFI Certified Instructor

Post subject: Re: Introduction and letter.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:10 pm 

nmat wrote:
Hello all.

First of all, introductions. I'll admit, I'm relatively new to firearms, but growing up in a family where guns = the devil kept me from even ...

SNIP...

Welcome nmat. Glad to you have you - well written letter! This is going to be very helpful in getting this legislation passed.

A friend who is knowledgeable about the process tells me we need to get to there early and plan on staying a while as it is the last bill to be heard that day, and all the GOP reps are already on board.

Do we have anyone here who can make some phone calls and sell this to those who aren't on board yet?

We'll need to convince some DFL'ers to get on board as well - below is from my friend:

Quote:
Your bill is at the very bottom of the list so it will definitely not be at 12:30pm sharp. Depending on how many people show up to argue and testify for the previous bills, it could be much later and apparently, in a different room in the same building. If there are a lot of people expected to show up, there is very limited seating so if you want to sit or even get in to the room, it may be a good idea to get there early although if they switch the room, it is first come first serve. If you are not testifying and there are no identifying characteristics of your supporters, there is no way for the committee to know who is there for which side except when you cheer and boo the testifiers. The chairman might get a little annoyed but they are only one vote and they give numerous warnings. There are 19 members of this committee and the bill has 8 co-authors on the committee (7 GOP, 1 DFL) so you need to only convince 2 more to get it through committee which is the good news, the bad news is that you already have the support of every Republican on the committee so that leaves no rational thinkers left and the one DFL on your side is in his first term and thus has no power so you will need some luck. You should be focusing on the remaining DFL members on the committee and finding people in their district to call on behalf of the bill (I listed them below, the ones with a star you have as co-authors). Not having the support of the chairman can be sort of rough as they decide how long people testify and make the rules. This especially sucks because it is the end of their day and they want to leave.

THURSDAY, March 13, 2008
12:30 PM
Meeting Time Note: The committee will recess at 2 p.m. and reconvene if necessary immediately thereafter in 500S State Office Building.
Committee: Public Safety and Civil Justice
Room: 10 State Office Building
Chair: Rep. Joe Mullery
*** Note: *** Change in Agenda
Bill(s) Added
Agenda: HF2095 (Eastlund) Peace officer reciprocity licensing exam eligibility criteria modified to include persons in active military service;
SF2379 (Dill) Reestablishment cost limit provisions amended;
HF2955 (Simon) School background check requirements modified;
HF2970 (Drazkowski) Motorists required to move to far left of roadway before passing road maintenance workers;
HF3101 (Bigham) Domestic abuse no contact order violations criminal penalty increased;
HF3281 (Dill) Snowmobile training provisions modified;
HF3367 (Pelowski) Relating to data practices; specifying access to disputed data; requiring closed meetings to be recorded; granting attorney fees in certain cases;
HF3396 (Simon) Hearing time requirements modified and clarified, prehearing discharge exception provided for commitment petitions involving mentally ill or sexually dangerous persons;
HF3441 (Bigham) Civil immunity extended to municipalities that donate public safety equipment;
HF3456 (Tschumper) Local government interstate assistance authorized for emergency services;
HF3521 (Loeffler) Independent living goals court findings required for children age 16 or older who are in an out-of-home placement;
HF3767 (Olin) Predatory offender written verification permitted for residence in another state;
HF3793 (Davnie) Student cooperation with educators policy clarified;
HF3974 (Dominguez) Domestic fatality review team continuation authorized;
HF3900 (Mullery) Misdemeanor penalty increase provided;
HF3995 (Mullery) Creating a gross misdemeanor for assaulting a utility employee or contractor;
HF699 (Nornes) Adult certification for juvenile violent offenses lowered to age 13;
HF498 (Cornish) Self-defense; use of force in defense of home and person laws clarified, self-defense and defense of home laws extended and codified, and common law duty to retreat eliminated.

Public Safety and Civil Justice
Committee Membership
2007 - 2008

Meets: Tuesdays and Thursdays at 12:30 p.m. in Room 10 of the State Office Building.

Phone Number
(651) area code
E-mail Address

Chair: Joe Mullery (DFL)
296-4262
rep.joe.mullery@house.mn

Vice Chair: Jeremy Kalin (DFL)
296-5377
rep.jeremy.kalin@house.mn

Lead-GOP: Paul Kohls (R)*
296-4282
rep.paul.kohls@house.mn

Karla Bigham (DFL)
296-4342
rep.karla.bigham@house.mn

Tony Cornish (R)*
296-4240
rep.tony.cornish@house.mn

Chris DeLaForest (R)*
296-4231
rep.chris.delaforest@house.mn

Tom Emmer (R)*
296-4336
rep.tom.emmer@house.mn

Debra Hilstrom (DFL)
296-3709
rep.debra.hilstrom@house.mn

Mary Liz Holberg (R)*
296-6926
rep.maryliz.holberg@house.mn

Sheldon Johnson (DFL)
296-4201
rep.sheldon.johnson@house.mn

Scott Kranz (DFL)
296-4226
rep.scott.kranz@house.mn

John Lesch (DFL)
296-4224
rep.john.lesch@house.mn

Leon Lillie (DFL)
296-1188
rep.leon.lillie@house.mn

Dave Olin (DFL)*
296-9635
rep.dave.olin@house.mn

Michael Paymar (DFL)
296-4199
rep.michael.paymar@house.mn

Brita Sailer (DFL)
296-4265
rep.brita.sailer@house.mn

Steve Simon (DFL)
296-9889
rep.steve.simon@house.mn

Steve Smith (R)*
296-9188
rep.steve.smith@house.mn

Torrey Westrom (R)*
296-4929
rep.torrey.westrom@house.mn

Post subject: Re: Introduction and letter.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:25 pm 
The Man

johninminnesota wrote:
Do we have anyone here who can make some phone calls and sell this to those who aren't on board yet?

We'll need to convince some DFL'ers to get on board as well ...
Very good point.

For those of you who are coming, if you can, please be sure you know the name of your Rep ahead of time. (If not, we'll work it out.)

For those of you who can't come but wished you could, and who can be at your computers tomorrow, you might want to keep an eye on the Forum. There may be some stuff happening that you could help out with.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:28 am 

Thank you for the updates, I should be by my computer.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.