Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Castle Doctrine Bill 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:08 pm 

Persistence, time and patience - a continued barrage of messages supporting this bill *will* be remembered. It is what works, if you say it enough times and stay at it long enough people believe it... just like the lies that have been used to get gun bans.

The problem with lies is, they don't stand up to examination. Ask questions about what folks should do when *they* are confronted with this kind of violence. This isn't a license to kill a kid rummaging around in your garage. That is BULL. Rather than argue the law, argue the realities of the lack of the law. Citing examples is the best method. Personal ones are most effective.

Stay with it and motivate others to do the same.

Post subject: Sviggum stricken as a co-author
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Nevermind...

I see today that Rep. Sviggum was stricken as a co-author from the house bill. Those of you in his district might ask him why that was.

Last edited by Lenny7 on Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sviggum stricken as a co-author
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:59 pm 
The Man

Lenny7 wrote:
I see today that Rep. Sviggum was stricken as a co-author from the house bill. Those of you in his district might ask him why that was.
It's because he's no longer a rep; he left the House to take an appointment.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Sviggum stricken as a co-author
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
It's because he's no longer a rep; he left the House to take an appointment.

That would make sense.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:16 pm 

Senator Amy Koch stated she supported this legislation and will vote for it when it comes up.

Here is the link to the actual Senate document: https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin/bldbill.php?bill=S0446.0.html&session=ls85

Post subject: SF 498 Castle Doctrine-Senate Minority Leader
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:40 pm 
Journeyman Member

Steve....all for it but we'll never get a hearing. Will have to be an amendment.

Dave

Senator David H. Senjem
Senate Minority Leader
Minnesota District 29
Serving Dodge and Olmsted Counties
651-296-3903
888-509-1290
147 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155-1206

Post subject: Here are some questions for your legislator
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:06 am 

I've been harping on this in other threads/boards, but at what point did *WE* (permit holders, law abiding citizens, senior citizens, homeowners, business owners, etc.) become the ones who needed to be "managed"? The anti's and the uninformed consider people who support the right to bear arms as "violent" people. Get to the real issue and that is it. They fear someone who has power in the form of a gun.

Question: How many permit holders are likely to shoot first, based upon their prior violent history?

Question: At what point prior to be raped, choked to death, beaten, or shot by a criminal do we need to determine their intent? As the law stands now you must be in the full "victimized" role prior to using lethal force - and considering the situations that require this way of thinking, law abiding citizens shouldn't be required to do much considerin'.

Question: Why must *I* as a law abiding citizen be limited in my rights to protect myself from those who have or are about to have a criminal record? (most violent offenders are known to the law)

Question: Who should be protected, someone who was committing a felony, or someone who was protecting themself from having felonious acts perpetrated upon them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:18 am 
Longtime Regular

I wrote my senator back, since I was not happy with his wishy washy reply. :roll: Either he supports us or he doesn't. He is going to get a splinter in his ass if he tries to ride the fence on this issue. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:28 pm 
Journeyman Member

sigman wrote:
I wrote my senator back, since I was not happy with his wishy washy reply. :roll: Either he supports us or he doesn't. He is going to get a splinter in his ass if he tries to ride the fence on this issue. :twisted:

+1 on that sigman :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:59 pm 

Would anybody have a letter template they could post on this issue? I would like to send a letter to my rep and senator, but I am not much of a writer and would like somethig simple that I could customize for my own use.

Thanks,
JP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thank you JDR I appreciate your support.

Paul Kohls
State Representative
District 34A
313 State Office Building
100 Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard Saint Paul, MN 55155
651-296-4282 (w)
952-443-0048 (h)
651-296-5807 FAX

To sign up for session e-mail updates: www.house.mn/34A

>>> "JDR" <JDR@.com> 2/25/2008 1:28 PM >>>

Paul, I would like to take this time to thank you on your positive stances on our Second Amendments rights. I appreciate all that you have done in these important issues to me.

I have become aware that anti gun ownership legislation has been proposed and will be discussed in committee..

They are : House bill HF 3324 and Senate bill SF 2989.

It would create an expensive California style gun-registration law that would require all law-abiding citizens to register every private sale of their handguns.

When is that last time you heard of a hoodlum going to the police or sheriff office to obtain a permit to purchase a handgun?

In addition, (and the most egresses portion of this bill) is a provision that will require all records of all gun transfer transactions be kept in perpetuity. In reality, it will become a database of all gun owners.

This is a stealth attempt for a de facto gun registration scheme. Ask anyone who knows about such things; and you will find out that to create a gun registration program is the very first step of prohibiting gun ownership in the general population.

This is the secrete policy of most of the anti-gun crowd. The right for all Americans to own and bear arms (according to our Second Amendment Rights) "Shall not be infringed" would be infringed and eroded. It would be the start of the slippery slope to total gun confiscation.

Look at Jamaica, Australia, Canada and Great Britain for examples. Now look at the crime statics of these countries since they enacted these total gun bans. England is the best example where you are not allowed to defend yourself even in your home. If you do so, you will be put in jailed for the crime of defending yourself from the fear of death or great bodily harm by an attacker.

As we know by past judicial decisions in this country, the police do not have a duty to defend any individual for any reason. That leaves it up to each individual to the responsibility to protect themselves and their family.

Please contact me and tell me where you stand on the proposed legislation.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

JDR

Sent to all of my legislators and all the legislators on the commit ties, (personalized of course).

Pretty near verbatim (modified for me) plagiarized from the forum. :D :D

Last edited by JDR on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:25 pm 
On time out

Better than my version JDR<,,better than mine,, I will send yours as a second "reminder" in a few days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:48 pm 

egresses = egregious ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

This is the letter I wrote to my senator and representative:

Before the passage of the MCPPA in 2003, anti-gun groups said that there would be widespread bloodshed by permit holders. I was pleased that you trusted law abiding citizens enough to vote in favor of the MCPPA and I thank you for your foresight. Although the anti-gun groups have no credibility, they have no problem finding like minded legislators to try and further their misguided cause by introducing more gun control laws.

Unfortunately, most of the anti-gun legislation is being introduced by fellow DFLers. That makes it imperative that you and other DFLers come out in strong opposition to any gun control legislation. If you do not, the DFL will once again be known as the party of gun control.

Permit holders have proven themselves to be very responsible and law abiding. With that in mind, I ask that you support pro-gun legislation that protects law abiding citizens from unfair prosecution and civil lawsuits that could arise from the defensive use of firearms. It is bad enough having to deal with the horror of shooting someone. It is worse to think that they may also be criminally charged by an anti-gun, politically motivated prosecutor and also face civil lawsuits from the criminals or their families. The cost of defending yourself in these instances is astronomical. Don’t think this cannot happen, because it already has. That is why I ask that you support “Castle Doctrine” legislation. This is not “shoot first” legislation and the sky is not going to fall when it is enacted, as the anti-gunners want us to believe. This legislation merely prevents law abiding citizens from further victimization. It is time to stop protecting criminals!

I also ask that you support an amendment to the state constitution protecting our right to keep and bear arms.
Our rights should not be subject to political correctness or societal prejudices.

I would very much appreciate your support on these issues. I ask that you respond either in agreement or against. Thank you and have a nice day.

Sincerely,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

dsp wrote:
egresses = egregious ?

Damn spelling checker can't figure out what I'm trying to spell.... :? :? :

(Maybe instead of [hunt/peck] typing and letting the spelling checker correct, I ought to spend a little more time in composing the text?) :oops: :oops:

Or perhaps I could take a second and pay attention to what the spelling checker is suggesting :oops: :oops: :oops:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.