Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:25 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 HEADS UP HF3324/SF2989.........bad bills 
 Post subject: HEADS UP HF3324/SF2989.........bad bills
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:42 pm 

Hi,

every day during the session, i read the new bills introduced. i saw these today. it seems some want to eliminate private party sales.

currently, if you have a CCW or purchase permit, you can sell a pistol or "assault weapon" to another CCW or PP holder without going thru the police or FFL. if you do do the transfer/check thru the police, they CANNOT by law, keep any records of these transfers.

these bills want to change that and force these people to go thru an FFL. it would also eliminate the requirement of the police to destroy said transfer records, although i think that is moot, as these bills mandate that the transfers go thru an FFL.

I don't like these bills. what say you kimberman?

Craig

Post subject: Re: HEADS UP HF3324/SF2989.........bad bills
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

craig101 wrote:
currently, if you have a CCW or purchase permit, you can sell a pistol or "assault weapon" to another CCW or PP holder without going thru the police or FFL.

It was my understanding that anyone other than a federally licensed dealer could make a private sale to a MN resident, regardless of whether either buyer or seller had a purchase or carry permit.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Kimberman, like several others of us, was up at the Capitol today, fighting this very fight. But I can summarize: This bill is back-door gun registration, and only punishes the innocent.

At times like these, we need people who can compose a well-behaved mob, to show up at a given time and day (yet to be determined, and possibly at short notice), at the Capitol complex, to make our numbers known. Testimony optional.

We also need people with ready pens, keyboards, and phone-dialing fingers, to reach key people, and put talking points into the right ears.

Stand by for further instructions.

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:51 pm 
Wise Elder

jdege wrote:
It was my understanding that anyone other than a federally licensed dealer could make a private sale to a MN resident, regardless of whether either buyer or seller had a purchase or carry permit.

Not exactly.

Read Minn. Stat. section 609.66, Subd. 1f. There is a lot of risk if you sell to someone who doesn't show a permit to buy or to carry. If you've been doing it, I'd suggest you stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm 
The Man

chunkstyle wrote:
Kimberman, like several others of us, was up at the Capitol today, fighting this very fight. But I can summarize: This bill is back-door gun registration, and only punishes the innocent.

At times like these, we need people who can compose a well-behaved mob, to show up at a given time and day (yet to be determined, and possibly at short notice), at the Capitol complex, to make our numbers known. Testimony optional.

We also need people with ready pens, keyboards, and phone-dialing fingers, to reach key people, and put talking points into the right ears.

Stand by for further instructions.
Yup. There's plenty of guidance available, but it's really important that the folks in the lege get used to seeing new faces, as well as the familiar ones.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
jdege wrote:

Not exactly.

Read Minn. Stat. section 609.66, Subd. 1f. There is a lot of risk if you sell to someone who doesn't show a permit to buy or to carry. If you've been doing it, I'd suggest you stop.

It's been a general rule in my family for a number of generations, now. We never sell guns. There will always be a son, daughter, nephew or niece, who would like to have it, eventually.

If I were to sell a gun, I'd certainly not intend to sell it to someone who was legally unable to possess it, or who might be likely to use it in a crime. So even if I were unaware of this section, I'd both check ID and require a purchase or transfer permit.

But I'm still not sure that the report of transfer/purchase permit/carry permit is required by law. 624.7132 Subd 12(a) says that the section doesn't apply to transfers by non FFLs, "except as otherwise provided in 609.66 subdivision 1f". But that simply says that if you are not an FFL and you transfer without complying with the transfer requirements of 624.7132, such and such. But 624.7132 says if you're not an FFL, there are no requirements.

It seems a particularly befuddled construction. And I notice that you didn't tell me I was wrong about what the law means, but that there was risk. Reading it, I don't think that anyone could say with any certainty what the means, which raises plenty of risk by itself.

But just thinking about the politics, can't we argue that the law already requires background checks on private sales of pistols and assault weapons? It might swing some on the margin.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:31 am 
Longtime Regular

Here's a House Rep Locator:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/hmem.asp

Give them a call and an email. 8) Let them know how you feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:41 am 
Longtime Regular

The assault on your 2A rights never ends. This is another serious attempt to register your firearms and needs to be stopped. I see on the duplicate thread where some gun shop owners say they are in favor of this legislation. That sucks. As an FFL holder myself, I would never want to see our 2A rights compromised for a few extra dollars in the cash register and I find their attitude despicable. This would merely be another stepping stone to more restrictions and eventual confiscation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:40 pm 
On time out

I heard one gun shop say they favored it because it would allow them to charge what ever they wanted to handle the transfer, and we would be stuck dealing with them. It was an additional few thousand a year for no real work.

Talk about the Fudd mentality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:43 pm 

1911fan wrote:
I heard one gun shop say they favored it because it would allow them to charge what ever they wanted to handle the transfer, and we would be stuck dealing with them. It was an additional few thousand a year for no real work.

Really? And what gun shop would that be? An attitude like that will cause me take ALL of my business elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:57 pm 
The Man

Not that anybody has to do what I suggest, but the next time you're in your local gunshop you might mention that, in the unlikely event that any gunshop owner would testify in favor of or in any quiet way ever support this gun registration bill, there are a fair number of competitors who would be happy to spread that word around.

And so would I, even though I'm not in that trade.

Not that the good folks in the business -- GunStop, Frontiersman, among others -- would need the hint.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

sigdoc wrote:
1911fan wrote:

Really? And what gun shop would that be? An attitude like that will cause me take ALL of my business elsewhere.

Yes, please share.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
Here's a House Rep Locator:

http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/members/hmem.asp

Give them a call and an email. 8) Let them know how you feel.

Better:
http://geo.commissions.leg.state.mn.us/ ... start.html

Get the names and email addresses of everyone who supposedly represents you at both the state and federal level.

I just emailed Ron Latz and Ryan Winkler. I'm pretty sure I could write both of their responses myself. Latz will support the bill. Winkler will open a dialog and at least try to understand both sides of the argument. He will initially support the bill, but may change his mind, if the issues are made clear and he knows what his constituents want.

At least, that's my guess, and I've talked to them both about gun-related issues in the past.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:52 am 
Longtime Regular

I just finished writing my legislators. I'm not sure what they will do. :roll:

Post subject: Last Week
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:21 pm 

Wrote them all and contacted my Pol connected friend to help. He was outraged with the bill.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.