Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 HEADS UP HF3324/SF2989.........bad bills 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 pm 

My letter:

--------- ------------ -------------

Dear Tom,

My name is ( Heratio Revolver ) and I live in your district. I wanted to touch base with you on an issue that is being raised in HF 3324

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ssion=ls85

and SF 2989.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ssion=ls85

How is this piece of legislation going to help to curb crimes of violence in Minnesota?

I am opposed to this legislation. It takes away the rights of we who are law abiding citizens to buy and sell pistols and rifles. Why are we so foolish as to define any rifle as an “assault rifle” and thereby assume it is somehow more likely to be used in crimes? All rifles can be used to assault. So can motor vehicles, baseball bats, and fireplace pokers… forcing gun owners to pay fees and go through steps that assume we are criminals waiting to happen is punitive and ineffective when it comes to “fighting crime” or reducing violent crime. How many persons with permits to carry a pistol are “known violent offenders”? And why should we be put through more restrictions on our rights to keep and bear arms as defined by the second amendment?

Criminals won’t follow the protocol regardless, so, in my opinion it is simply another tax and further chiseling away of the rights of gun owners. It is also arguably a “gun registration” law that gives government information that should be none of their business about those of us who buy and sell guns legally, following all the laws and regulations already on the books. As has been proven in England, Australia, and Canada, gun bans don’t work. By supporting this legislation we are one step closer to having our rights as citizens to keep and bear arms further eroded towards a ban on guns.

Why are people afraid to give citizens the power of having personal protection? Where is the evidence that our “shall issue” legislation, and current laws, regulations, taxes and hoops to jump through are ineffective and need to be “reformed”?

Please do everything in your power to stop this legislation from moving forward. Call on me if I can help… what can I do?

------------- --------------- -------------
PS: I am not really Heratio Revolver... but sometimes I feel like him when I shoot my Police Six...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:35 pm 

nice letter. I emailed mine off to my state reps today. We'll see what happens...I'm hoping for a reply on their stance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:08 am 
Longtime Regular

Sent mine too. Nice letter John, thanks.

"Build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ unknown

Never been tazered. (yet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:06 pm 

Here's a copy of the email I received from my senator today...response was less than 24 hours.

Dear John,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding proposed legislation to regulate the transfer of fire arms. I appreciate you contacting me on this issue.

The proposed legislation is referred to the Judiciary Committee and has not received a hearing as of today. The bill would prohibit private sales of pistols or assault weapons unless the buyer or seller was a federally licensed dealer, or used a licensed dealer to transfer the weapon. This would include sales at garage and estate sales, sales over the internet, and this would include passing fire arms to family members.

I do not support the proposed gun registration bill. The bill wouldn’t do anything about stopping criminals from getting guns; they are not required to submit to background checks.

Again, thank you for your e-mail. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with other comments or concerns you may have.

Sincerely,
Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:05 am 

johnnyg08 wrote:
Dear John,

Another "Dear John" letter. :wink: I got the same letter. I believe these come as form letters from interns, but they do get tallied, and should the legislator need some "ammunition" in a battle on the hill they may pull up some of these letters and use them.

Great job guys. Now, let's convince our friends and relatives that these issues are not good for them either, and get them motivated to be vocal as well. I've sent this link around to my circle to make it a bit easier to be vocal. Use this site to send notice to our legislators that we are paying attention and want our rights as gun owners to be preserved and protected! http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm

Post subject: Another no vote
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:36 am 

I contacted my representative, Joyce Pepin, and here was her response:

"Thanks Ron. I agree the pistol bill is not needed and I don't intend to support it."

Looks like another vote in opposition.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

From Buesgens, district 35B. This is not surprising. He's a good guy.

Quote:
Lenny7,

Thanks for the heads-up. I can assure you that I will not support this bill and
will speak up against it if it comes before me.

Mark Buesgens
State Representative, 35B
Room 307, State Office Building
(651) 296-5185

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

JohnyG and John in MN,

You two must be hounding Sen Amy Koch pretty good.

I had a chance to have a conversation face to face with her yesterday and she said she had about 200 emails concerning this. :lol:

I asked if she wanted in on the slow-rolled tees for our next order and she said "Heck yeah" :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:49 am 
Longtime Regular

PM mostlylurkin. IIRC he has a couple Size L left. I'll chip in. Get a PICTURE! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

I received a good reply from Sen. Wergin :

Sen.Betsy Wergin wrote:
Dear Paul,

Thank you for taking time to contact me regarding the proposed changes to fire arms laws in Minnesota.

The issues surrounding gun registration, ownership and use are certainly on the agenda every session of the Minnesota Legislature. This only serves to indicate how important the issue is to people on both sides of the issue.

Once again this year there is an effort underway to mandate further registration and to track even more closely when guns are bought and sold even between two law abiding private citizens. The irony is that no
matter how closely gun sales are tracked criminals are not going to register their guns and they are not going to get background checks on either themselves or the person they are selling guns to. Further regulation only serves to hinder honest people from honest fire arms sale transactions.

SF2989/HF3329 will not keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the bill is not necessary.

Many of our citizen rights and freedoms are being gradually eroded. We cannot allow the trend to continue. Our Constitution was carefully crafted to protect our rights and freedoms as individuals. Our second amendment
rights must be protected.

Sincerely,
Betsy Wergin
Senator

--------------------------------------------
Senator Betsy Wergin
145 State Office Building
St. Paul, MN 55155-1206
Phone: 651-296-8075

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:14 am 
Raving Moderate

From Sen. Satveer Chaudhary (D-Fridley):
Quote:
I concur that individuals (as opposed to commercial transactions) being
required to go through a dealer is an onerous proposal.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Sen.David Senjem <Sen.David.Senjem@senate.mn> wrote:
Thank you for your email regarding the proposed gun control legislation, SF 2989. It seems that the DFL is emboldened to take away our freedoms. As you know, this bill seeks to introduce new registration procedures that do not serve to solve any of the problems that it sets out to solve. Criminals will still deal illegal guns to other criminals whether or not there is a new registration system.

I am with you in believing that what is needed are stronger enforcement of current rules and regulations and harsher punishments for those caught rather than implementing a burdensome registration system that only frustrates legal, law-abiding gun owners. Let me assure you that Republicans will be leading the charge against this bill.

Thank you again for voicing your concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:09 am 
Longtime Regular

Could you ask her, politely, to confirm that she will vigorously oppose the bill?

Jeremiah wrote:
Quote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:15 pm 
Raving Moderate

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Could you ask her, politely, to confirm that she will vigorously oppose the bill?

Jeremiah wrote:
Quote:

Him, and sure, I can. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:59 pm 
Raving Moderate

Jeremiah wrote:
Sen. Chaudhary,

Can I take this to mean you'll oppose SSF 2989?

Thanks,
Jeremiah

And his response:

Sen. Satveer Chaudhary wrote:
In its current form yes. I don't have a problem with keeping guns out
of the hands of mental patients and closing the gun show loophole.

Not 100%, but certainly better than a pro-registration answer...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.