Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Problem is FEAR. 

Is your significant other afraid of guns?
Poll ended at Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:16 am
Yes  18%  18%  [ 11 ]
No  82%  82%  [ 49 ]
Total votes : 60

The Problem is FEAR. 
 Post subject: The Problem is FEAR.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:16 am 

Fear of someone wielding power.

Picture in your mind: a Target security guard with his flashlight at his side, and standing next to him a police officer with his gun at his side.

The difference is power. Picture someone open carrying with a side holster. Since you and I have probably seen this so many times that we are desensitized to it, we don't have a lot of apprehension, however, a soccer mom at the grocery store will be downright "shocked and awed" over it to the point of being disturbed enough to talk to the management of the store or call the police. It is true.

Now picture in your mind a man walking into a grocery store holding a large flesh colored rubber dildo in one hand, and a 6” 44 magnum in the other (yes, this will make the thread more interesting). Which is more taboo?

This is our problem with the politics of guns. We are fighting a deep seeded fear of guns based upon people's lack of thought and consideration of their purpose and use. "Guns have one purpose - to kill people." That is my wife's position, and she is one smart cookie. I had to agree that beyond all other reasons one could use a gun, killing is the most obvious purpose. I happen to carry one to use as a defensive tool – which could include killing… but I sure hope it never comes to that. Her next questions included “do you go around ready to use your gun?”. My response was, ever since I was a kid I have practiced being aware of my surroundings and have tried to stay in an “aware” mode. My training in self defense has drilled into my head to “stay aware of your sphere”. Most people are not and don’t want to be vigilant about potential dangers. Bringing it to their consciousness feels to them like an assault on their serenity.

I believe legislation is a reflection of people’s fears about guns in general with little thought or consideration of the realities of the actual outcome of enacting such legislation. It is very similar to other taboo issues… like prostitution for example. People don’t want to acknowledge that the world (and freedom) is inherently filled with danger, and when guns are the topic of discussion, particularly in a manner that creates a tense environment, people tend to rely on their programmed responses which are fear based.

Our challenge is to help people understand why handguns as a defensive tool should not be feared. I believe the best approach is calm, non defensive discussion that allows the other person to voice their opinions and feelings until they feel heard and understood. At that point, when they are no longer feeling defensive, you can ask a few questions that will help to open their mind a little and get them thinking. It may take weeks, but with new questions to be answered, they will have a new train of thought that won’t be so “anti gun”.

Seems like a daunting task, and it is. I believe it is the only way we are going to stem the tide of gun hatred in our society, and it is up to you and I. We need to learn to communicate with people in a way that helps them understand why it is GOOD for our society to be gun friendly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Our challenge is to help people understand why handguns as a defensive tool should not be feared. I believe the best approach is calm, non defensive discussion that allows the other person to voice their opinions and feelings until they feel heard and understood. At that point, when they are no longer feeling defensive, you can ask a few questions that will help to open their mind a little and get them thinking. It may take weeks, but with new questions to be answered, they will have a new train of thought that won’t be so “anti gun”.

IMO, we don't succeed by arguing public policy, public safety, about what kind of society we want to be. All of that comes later. The first crack in the anti-gun mindset isn't "we all have a right to have guns", or "society would be better off if more people carried guns", but "for her keeping a gun is a rational response to a real threat."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:32 pm 
Longtime Regular

I recently sent out a e-mail to a few people. The main text in part is below;

Is anyone interested in taking a class that would permit you to carry (on you/loaded in a car or truck) a loaded handgun?

This is the response from my 40+ year old son:

"The original email made it sound like you are going to be the instructor, that was my question. I've thought about it before, but don't really have the need to carry a loaded firearm around, probably a good thing. Don't know if I have the right temperament to do that. I'd probably get pissed off at someone and shoot'm" :shock: :shock:

What you don't know is that he carried a loaded pistol in his pickup for years when he lived in Texas. :oops: :oops:

This seems to be the the typical mindset of people who are afraid of their emotions getting out of hand and assume everyone else has similar problems. :roll: :roll: :roll:

This is exactly the same response I got from a good friend of mine as well as my next door neighbor. Interesting though, my neighbor's wife thought it was a good idea that I carried a gun. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:41 pm 

Right now, the only time the anti's see or hear about a gun is when it is used in a crime. And every time they hear about it, it just reinforces their beliefs.

You may have gotten negative responses, but everyone you emailed now has at least one "positive gun use" thought somewhere in their brain. It's just too bad that the positives are so heavily outweighed by the negatives the media pounds into them.

More law abiding individuals acting in a professional manner while open carrying could help this problem. Every time someone sees or hears about a gun without seeing a crime, it helps our cause, makes it more familiar, and lets others know it is legal.

As long guns are treated as dirty things that must be hidden from the public, people will react as such. When someone gets asked if they carry, and they respond in a skittish ashamed manner as if they've been outed on a horrible dirty thing, people react in kind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:10 pm 
Journeyman Member

nope, she loves the xd and is begger for her own :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:17 pm 

compactxd wrote:
nope, she loves the xd and is begger for her own :D :D

I wish mine would beg for her own. I keep trying to get to understand that really evertime I get a new one it really is so she can shoot it and find one she would like for when she gets her permit this spring. For some reason it is just not working...... yet. :wink: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:19 am 

jdege wrote:
IMO, we don't succeed by arguing public policy, public safety, about what kind of society we want to be. All of that comes later. The first crack in the anti-gun mindset isn't "we all have a right to have guns", or "society would be better off if more people carried guns", but "for her keeping a gun is a rational response to a real threat."

Excellent point. Opening the mind to the issue is the key. Fear is a great motivator, but it is so volatile once engaged - once it is, you need to tread lightly and deliberately. Oleg's excellent posters are great for making the point. I think having a good set of questions along with the hopefully obvious answers when dealing with someone (your wife, relatives, friends) is also important. As your own website points out, it all starts with motivation.

By the way, thank you for the work you've done on your website. Readers, if you haven't done so, I recommend visiting! http://www.gun-nuttery.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:34 am 

JDR wrote:

Is anyone interested in taking a class that would permit you to carry (on you/loaded in a car or truck) a loaded handgun?

Thank you for getting active! I suggest asking everyone you know if they are interested in attending a class on personal protection that includes the safe use of a handgun. Most folks feel helpless when they think about situations that would require use of force. Jumping straight to carrying a loaded gun might be a bit more than they are comfortable with, and technically it is all for personal protection.

Quote:

"The original email made it sound like you are going to be the instructor, that was my question. I've thought about it before, but don't really have the need to carry a loaded firearm around, probably a good thing. Don't know if I have the right temperament to do that. I'd probably get pissed off at someone and shoot'm" :shock: :shock:

Here are two books to buy your son - they are excellent on the issue of anger: "Beyond Anger - a guide for men" by Thomas J. Harbin, and "The Anger Trap" by Dr. Les Carter.

I suspect that a lot of us who carry have seen enough violence in our lives to feel justified in doing so. I personally feel a lot *less* likely to allow someone to bring me to anger now that I do. I want to be in control of my life, not allow others. I think everyone would benefit from reading those two books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Only when we first met. She associated guns with domestic violence. After training and brainwashing :D she saw the light and went out and got her permit. After she read 'gift of fear' and saw De Becker on Opra (twice) she started keeping a .38 on or around her when out of the house. Baby steps...... (having two of her good friends assaulted in their homes helped too - Minneapolis and Uptown).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

johninminnesota wrote:
JDR wrote:

Thank you for getting active! I suggest asking everyone you know if they are interested in attending a class on personal protection that includes the safe use of a handgun. Most folks feel helpless when they think about situations that would require use of force. Jumping straight to carrying a loaded gun might be a bit more than they are comfortable with, and technically it is all for personal protection.
Quote:

Here are two books to buy your son - they are excellent on the issue of anger: "Beyond Anger - a guide for men" by Thomas J. Harbin, and "The Anger Trap" by Dr. Les Carter.

I suspect that a lot of us who carry have seen enough violence in our lives to feel justified in doing so. I personally feel a lot *less* likely to allow someone to bring me to anger now that I do. I want to be in control of my life, not allow others. I think everyone would benefit from reading those two books.

I should have clarified the e-mail I sent out was to a group of friends who I have been preaching to for years about the reason for carrying a handgun, all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:24 pm 

Hmmmm lets see we have 3 loaded pistols, 1 shotgun and a AK with in 4 rooms and my daughter is on her 3rd pistol and first taser before age 18..

Hmmmmm My guess is no guns are not feared in this family.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:40 am 

My wife is not afraid of guns, but is nervous about the kids finding them. She has heard to many stories on the news about kids that find guns in the house and shooting themselves. Took me awhile to have a gun in the house, but I do now. She enjoys to shoot and is comfortable for me to have my carry license.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:27 am 
Longtime Regular

Yes, but much less than she used to be. I've signed her up for Teresa Reiter's basic intro class at TactiFun, but I have yet to talk her into actually going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

bigbad401 wrote:
My wife is not afraid of guns, but is nervous about the kids finding them. She has heard to many stories on the news about kids that find guns in the house and shooting themselves. Took me awhile to have a gun in the house, but I do now. She enjoys to shoot and is comfortable for me to have my carry license.

Have her help you pick out a good gun safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:06 pm 

tman065 wrote:
bigbad401 wrote:

Have her help you pick out a good gun safe.

Better yet, she bought the one I picked out!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.